New Member Intro.

J

james lanfear

Hello, I have used my real name as my title.
I am from Chard, Somerset, UK. I am 51.
I have been airbrushing for two years. I started making fishing lures & so have just developed on that side of things. My daughter, who is ten & I, have also made a few cards for family & friends, using stencils.
I would like to learn much more. In particular, I plan on customising the paint work on my guitar. Need to get that one right, though, as it's a decent one!
I met one of your members, Steve, who had done some great work on a truck, he put me on to this site. Nice guy.
I have a bit of a workshop, so appreciate that buying the best tool you can afford is usually a good investment; therefore, I have an Iwata Custom Micron airbrush. Also, a real cheap one , that came with my compressor, a 'GS AS18'. I would like to upgrade the compressor, soon. The cheap airbrush works fine, has a 0.5mm needle & so lays on my base coats well. I also spray blocks of metallics & pearls with it. I use the Iwata for everything else. I use Createx paints mostly; Wicked & Auto-Air. Though a few solvent based Tamiya ones & water based UV fluorescing ones, too.
My biggest problems occur with how much reducer to use on all the different paints, also, the balance on paint flow & what air flow, to get a smooth & even coating. I have got better at that with experience though.
I know very little about airbrushing, learning as I go, so if I appear stupid, you'll understand I just have'nt come across that yet!
Thanks for the membership.
Cheers,
James.

Welcome from New Zealand. Great lures by the way. What are you targeting with them? We have a couple of guys here who make their own, I'm going to give it a try as well I think.

Hello and welcome James, we all start at one point and many of the fundamentals we learn as we go. While there are many accomplished artist's here but we are proud to have all levels of the journey, we are a very tight knit group of artist's and this is our home (figuratively) we learn from each other and in other ways teach via our styles, experiences, ect. so dive right in!

Welcome aboard James and I think shadow says it best. There are a great bunch of people here who are willing to help in any way. Don't be afraid to ask questions and good luck.

Welcome from New Zealand. Great lures by the way. What are you targeting with them? We have a couple of guys here who make their own, I'm going to give it a try as well I think.
I catch pike & bass on small versions over here but these lures go overseas, some in your NZ, for Kingfish, GT's, Tunas, etc. Sailfish, too.

Welcome to the forum... somerset... im positive one of our members lives there. As for appewring stupid no worries I not only appeqr stupid I may truly BE.

Hi and Welcome It was nice meeting you the other day...Small world as they say.The boys and girls on here will help you and guide you and like i said if you need anything give me a shout:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum @james lanfear I just had a peak at your lures and they are amazing, I have to say fishing/angling has never been my thing but I still get a kick out of seeing these lures, there are few on here who do them and even make them, we even have one guy who customises fishing reels, to me it's all art and that's what I love so it doesn't to me where it is or what it's on, but the lures are cool mainly because some are very small and getting any detail into such shows great control.

Unfortunately reducing/pressure has always been a loaded question, it varies from paint to paint as well as depends on your brush and nozzle size, generally the larger your nozzle the less thinning you would require and the more you reduce the less pressure you will require, but then personal needs and preferences come into it, so this all makes it impossible for anyone to give a safe written in stone answer, you'll find that if 20 people answered these questions you would have 20 different answers, this doesn't mean any of them are wrong, they are just based on each person who reply's own needs and methods, there are already a few threads on reduction and pressure, but do feel free to start your own threads if you can't find your way around we will always do our best to get you all the info you need.

Play around with different pressure and reductions to find what's comfortable for you, again it will be different for different paints and projects, for each type of paint you use, you should be able to find a fact sheet with more info than you would normally see on the bottle, usually you will find this on the relevant manufacturers website, if you can't find it, again just ask and we will try to find it for you, but basically every type of paint has limit to how much you can thin/reduce, I.E. if you go beyond that pint the paint may break down and become useless, you would find this info on the fact sheet for the paint concerned, I say this because I like "over-thin" and ruined many a bottle by doing so;)

And, since you say your daughter has been airbrushing too, do your best to keep her interested, by the time she's sixteen she'll be quite the pro since you'll find that she will learn a lot quicker than us old farts can, so she will be an asset to you very soon, I'm 57 and every time I buy a new electronic device I have to hire in a ten year old to help me work it, and as I'm you well know know, ten year old's are not cheap, lol

Back