New Model Railroader from Northern Illinois

D

Dave_D55

Hi everyone,

With a renewed focus on my model railroad in my retirement, I hope to learn more about airbrushing.

Years ago I did some airbrushing (poorly) with an ancient Badger 250 with Propel. I did not have skills - the result was more like sputtering of the paint onto my work.

I hope to learn about airbrush options appropriate to model railroading - and I hope to rig up an airbrush regulator and moisture trap to my oil-less shop air compressor.

Dave

Welcome
I dont know much about model railroads but i think youll find the current offerings hooked up to your compressor light years beyond the setup you tried before. Not to mention the paint selections. Whats your budget for your brush?

Welcome aboard, @Dave_D55 ! I started out a very long time ago with a Badger 250 myself (with the Propel cans too as I couldn't afford a compressor).
Enjoy your time here.

Welcome from Australia :)

I'm sure you'll find your feet in no time. Be warned, there's a bit of a learning curve ahead but if you get stuck just yell out here and someone will throw you an answer reasonably quickly

Welcome to the forum! I used to be into model railroading... dont have the space, money or time any more. What scale are you in and what railroads do you model?

Herb, he wants an airbrush not a spray gun! :p

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

RobbyRocket2: For the airbrushes, I am thinking of getting two - one for detailing (I read online that a gravity feed would be good for this) and one for paining larger areas like freight cars or (HO scale) buildings (a bottom feed style for this). Of course this all seems a bit pretentious given my current skill level. So I guess the cost would be perhaps $200 - but I'm flexible.

Dave

You are probably on the right track with your thinking (no pun intended lol) gravity feed and a smaller nozzle (dont ask me what size, I dont have any model paint) would be great for weathering and small touch ups, where as a larger nozzle and a bottom feed with a bottle is perfect for spraying base colors. I wonder if a Grex with a fan pattern would be better at that?

Jurien72: I just updated my profile to indicate that I am modelling the Milwaukee Road from Savanna to Bensonville Illinois. This runs through my home town of Forreston (sort of). There are interchanges with the CB&Q, CGW, C&NW, CA&E, and EJ&E. It's unfinished - like every other model railroad. :)

Thanks for asking,
Dave

Welcome to the forum! I used to be into model railroading... dont have the space, money or time any more. What scale are you in and what railroads do you model?

Herb, he wants an airbrush not a spray gun! :p
Hey I am just showing the different scale to model railroading LOL and he airbrushed some of the train cars .

JackEb: All of my paints have dried up - so they'll need replacing, which is good in that I can learn before I buy. When last I tried weathering, I was using acrylics. From what I read online, I was not even close to thinning the paint properly (way too thick).

Welcome Dave. Hope enjoy your time here on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back