New one in Germany

S

Styxxx

Hello to everyone out there!

I am Stefan from Germany, working in Switzerland though, 38 years old, married, 4 kids. I enjoy rc planes (both building and flying them) and I am completly new to airbrushing.
I wanted to start to colour my planes (just basic one colour stuff) and bought my airbrush equipment because of that. But after watching hours of videos on youtube and reading and seaching so many websites (including this one), I WANT MORE! Just started with the first dots and lines and can't wait for the little gremlins to go to bed, so I can start brushing!

Cheers

Stef

Welcome home Stefan. You have found the right place , We have custom plane builder on here and a lot of information for everyone.

Welcome to the forum Stefan, I started airbrushing for the same reason as yourself and also was amazed to find that the airbrush could do a lot more than just paint my planes.

Take some time to have a good look through the archives, there is no end of information, and if you need a quick answer on anything simply ask, we pride ourselves on helping each other, but be prepared to have a laugh along the way.

make use of the open bar section and tell us more about your planes and stuff, I'm into 3D planes and Helicopters, I give flying lessons at our field but only with planes, I also do all fibre glass and foam crash repairs and repaint the models either in their original state or or a new scheme if they want, I've also designed my own indoor shock flyer named the "Razor"

If you want really spice up your models and make them stand out, check out Ed Hubbs on you tube, everything he does is relevant to the hobby and you will discover lots of simple but effective techniques including fake carbon fibre, chequered flags, bullet holes and riveted panels, the later being ideal for war birds.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
=> Madbrush: I just started doing my "dots" two days ago, so for creating bulletholes it would be much easier for me to just grab a gun....

Welcome to the forums Styxx think all has been covered already but you found a good community of artists and hobbiest here. We look forward to seeing your learning experiance and watching you progress.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
=> Madbrush: I just started doing my "dots" two days ago, so for creating bulletholes it would be much easier for me to just grab a gun....

LOL, you'de be surprised just how easy a lot of it is once you know how, and real bullet holes can have a diverse affect on flight characteristics, lol

So you don't think that "lighter flies better" is true in that case?

I am just concerned that I will get frustrated with my skills as I am no good in drawing at all. For example, when I try to draw a horse for one of my kids, it ends up looking like a duck....

go to microns link bullet holes are cake. I also suggest getting a sketch book and some pencils they will come in handy if you need to learn to draw some thing before you paint it.

So you don't think that "lighter flies better" is true in that case?

I am just concerned that I will get frustrated with my skills as I am no good in drawing at all. For example, when I try to draw a horse for one of my kids, it ends up looking like a duck....

I think in this case it would be "Lighter lands quicker" lol

Customising a plane or anything else requires little or no drawing skills since much of it is done using stencils and some clever masking, I guarantee that once you check out a few videos you will say "I can do that" , it's not about skills it has more to do with the accuracy of your stencils and other techniques, and just like your dots and daggers you can practice these techniques on paper, then you don't have to mess anything up, practice also builds your self confidence and that is also important.

Don't write yourself off until you've tried at least, what ever happens you will surprise yourself shortly.

Good call on that forgot rc models are his main concern but a sketch book can help with the planning stages also

A sketch book is "essential" as is the planning you mention, since the foil used for covering model planes is easy to damage with wrong handling, trying to pencil on a design for example would pierce it for sure.

But the practice is the main goal at this early stage, and if a design is successful on paper it can be cut out and used as a stencil.

I have actually just started a helicopter canopy, I might just do a step by step of it and throw it up.

Well after reading your introduction I was going to suggest everything that has been said already and you need to meet Madbrush, our local plane aficionado! But since everyone beat me to it, I will just tell you welcome and enjoy yourself!! :)

Josh

Back