New Practice Material for beginners

D

drobbins12

I had to buy a drafting kit for an apprenticeship class that I'm in. Today I used a stencils to draw out 1 1/2 inch ovels, and a French Curve to draw some curvy lines. I started with ovals, practicing my Blending lines. I only got a chance to do a couple, blend to the right, and blend to the left. But it kind of breaks up the monotony of just doing the same blending lines.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333175569.932444.jpg

As you can see, I have a lot of work to do. The hardest part for me is staying inside the lines.

I'm also going to blend down and blend up. The French curve lines I have done yet, but I'll post those.

It's just a different way of practicing your blending lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to buy a drafting kit for an apprenticeship class that I'm in. Today I used a stencils to draw out 1 1/2 inch ovels, and a French Curve to draw some curvy lines. I started with ovals, practicing my Blending lines. I only got a chance to do a couple, blend to the right, and blend to the left. But it kind of breaks up the monotony of just doing the same blending lines.
View attachment 631

As you can see, I have a lot of work to do. The hardest part for me is staying inside the lines.

I'm also going to blend down and blend up. The French curve lines I have done yet, but I'll post those.

It's just a different way of practicing your blending lines.

I have to say, this idea is brilliant, it doesn't really matter what shapes you practice on as long as you practice all the the strokes, so like you say why does it have to monotonous., try this also with egg shapes, triangles and that sort thing, every kind of art is a composition of shapes and lines brought together to form a picture.

A little tip to help you stay inside the lines, try your airbrush at 45 degrees pointing towards the inside of your circle, also try not go too dark too quick, gradually build it up, if it's too light, you simply keep building till your happy.

Like I said cool idea, thanks for sharing this.

Malky

exactly what Malky said :) it's perfect that you're practising on a curved edge aswell as these types of blends are more common in any artwork..

Malay,

Thanks for the tips, I feel like I'm doing the 45, but I think I'm more at like 15. So i will work on that for sure. I did start really light on those and brought it to that dark, I didn't do a very good job of being consistent with my beginning lines, so I got darker to try and cover up those inconsistencies.

But as you said, shapes that comes together to make up a picture. That's what my thought process was for this. Why not practice my blending lines with shapes so I can better utilize it in a picture when I get to that point.

Thanks for the comments

Dylan

Malay,

Thanks for the tips, I feel like I'm doing the 45, but I think I'm more at like 15. So i will work on that for sure. I did start really light on those and brought it to that dark, I didn't do a very good job of being consistent with my beginning lines, so I got darker to try and cover up those inconsistencies.

But as you said, shapes that comes together to make up a picture. That's what my thought process was for this. Why not practice my blending lines with shapes so I can better utilize it in a picture when I get to that point.

Thanks for the comments

Dylan

Hi Dylan

Is it safe assume your left handed?, I am too, I see that your paper is stuck to the board using tape, that can be awkward working in different directions, I did the same when I started, but 2 weeks ago I bought a magnetic white board and this makes a big difference because I can now turn my paper so that I can work in a direction that's comfortable for me.

To be able to keep it light, you can use less pressure, the lighter you start, the easier it is to hide your inconsistencies, I normally use 10 - 15 psi for detail and around 25 for filling in, you will find that you have more time to react therefore more control over your airbrush.

Art has no laws, and you may choose what works best for you, the only thing that you must be particular about is the maintenance of your equipment, I unfortunately learned this the hard way.

Keep practising and maybe you can upload some of these Ideas for the rest us to try out.

Malky

Malky,

I am actually right handed. Did you figure I was left handed because I started shading left to right. I did that because I struggle with that direction the most so I try to practice working my left to right.

That is a great idea with the magnets, because you can turn your paper around if you are really good working left to right.

I really do have a hard time angling 45 degrees

Malky,

I am actually right handed. Did you figure I was left handed because I started shading left to right. I did that because I struggle with that direction the most so I try to practice working my left to right.

That is a great idea with the magnets, because you can turn your paper around if you are really good working left to right.

I really do have a hard time angling 45 degrees

Hi Dylan

It doesn't need to be exactly 45 degrees, just angle your airbrush away from your line so that the paint stays on the side you want it too.

I also thought you were left-handed because your holding the crab in your left hand, or did you just think "I can afford to lose the left one" lol

Malky

Don't be afraid to turn the board if needed, it helps when learning especially as you can spray from a comfy position to help grasp the idea.. but I'd suggest what others have, try doing the same with a shield around the oval and increase your distance (To lighten it), gradually moving forward on the same angle to get the gradient darker toward your edges.. GL

As I was reading this, something came to mind. And this is only an issue if you plan to paint outside your home. If you paint only on canvas and don't plan to go get into "painting peoples stuff", this may never come up.

The first car I had to airbrush on was a big wake up call when I had to, not only do my flames side ways, not up...but, I also had to figure out a way to paint without turning the car to a comfortable position.:cower:

I luckily had time to stop on the car, and go home and do true fire from left to right and then do it right to left(the hardest for me). I spent a week or so, trying to get the same swooping motion going in both directions. My right to left flames were flat, with a different taper to it.

Once you feel comfortable doing your blends(or actually, all of you practice exercises)in one direction, do them from a different one. Change the angle, lay your paper down flat, tilt it with the top toward you. The bottom half of the door fades away from the middle body line.

A local clothing store wanted me to paint there whole entry-way. I had to do blends in every direction...while on a ladder, while on my knees trying to do the stuff near the floor, and in the corners. My work wasn't as good, in those areas.

In both cases I had to just do the best I could, but I never turn my work when I paint now, unless I'm trying to make it as awkward as I can to make sure I don't have those same problems again.

Just something to keep in mind. You never know when someone will see your work, and ask if you want to do that on a car or a trailer or a park bench...( I have a bench to paint vines on for a local coffee shop, lol.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that mate, that's a very valid point, I have never as yet airbrushed on a car but I was a paint sprayer in the motor industry for many years so I get the jist of what you mean when faced with getting the same Finnish at and in awkward places. I bet not many artists think about that the first time they take that on!
Good topic mate

I agree properly stained, I actually keep it in a stationary position. I figured starting out that I wasnt very good in any direction that I would just practice in every direction. It has worked out pretty well.

I need to practice my basics a little more than do after rereading this thread.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?if4t51

hey drobbins i just started trying these exercises i find im going to heavy a lot so this is the one ill be working on mail.google.com.jpeg but i dont understand the texture with movement do i still use the figure ∞ ∞← with little flicks at the end of the texture stroke , if you can understand what im asking lol

Back