New to Airbrushing

J

Jamie-Lee McLeish

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself to you fine people. I'm very new to airbrushing - after getting the urge to paint my games controllers and watching videos of some absolutely beautiful jobs being completed on YouTube.

Thinking that it was best to keep costs low in the beginning I bought an unbranded airbrush, having already had a relatively good compressor available to use. I'm already looking into upgrading after working with some of the Createx acrylic paints, and am looking at the Harder and Steenbeck Ultra airbrush next.

Also - looking around at previous posts in the forum I'm considering getting an HVLP gun (again, a cheap version), to spray clear coats. I'll be looking for some more advice from more experienced members shortly though, if this is alright.

I am really looking forward to learning more from this community. Again, after looking through posts before registering, everyone seems really friendly and knowledgeable.

I look forward to chatting with everyone here.
Jamie,

Welcome home Jamie
now if you could please tell us where on this planet you live that would be great . Maybe we can help point you in a direction of a local shop to look for items or deals .
Remember when painting those plastic controllers you will want a good adhesion promoter (Bull dog is a great rattle can and HOK AP-01 is a great spray gun version)
I use a 2k clear on the ones I have done for my kids due to it is automotive and designed to hold up to elements so the handling of them for hours upon hours of game play does not hurt the art work underneath.

Hi Mr.Micron,

I'm from the northern end of the UK - and I'm not aware of any brick and mortar stores around my region. Happy to be pointed in the right direction though. I'm currently spraying with a 0.4mm tip and nozzle - would the HOK AP-01 need reducing in your opinion, to flow easily through the airbrush. As I said I'm looking to get a cheap 1.4mm or 1.8mm Spray Gun to handle the clear coats. If I also had to use it for the adhesion promoter then that's not really an issue for me, it just results in more cleaning :)

Can I ask if the 2K clear coat that you use is in a spray can or is it mixed for use in a spray gun? As I said, I'm not too familiar with the clear coat process (I'm actually not too familiar with much in the airbrush world at the moment, but that's beside the point), but it seems pretty much a given to get an HVLP spray gun to ensure a good coating. Thanks very much for the warm welcome though, it's much appreciated.

And hi Mark, hope you're doing well :).

Welcome from Australia Jamie,
lots of learning coming up for you I think.... don't panic, there's generally someone here who has 'been there, tried that' and can guide you on your way.

if you look really really carefully you might even find some humor thrown around :D

Welcome from the bulldogging capitol of the world. (We throw our cows around a bit).

Hi JackEb, WhiteKnight and Barquester.

Thank you all for the kind welcome, it's very much appreciated. This forum definitely seems to have attracted people from all over the world. :)

I look forward to chatting with you all in the future :)

Hi , MeeshellMP, Boltcase and Maple Art.

Thank you all very much for the kind welcome. I look forward to chatting with you all. Such a lovely community welcome :)

Welcome Jamie. If you are only wanting to clear small items then spraymax do a 2k in a rattle can. Once activated it pretty much needs using that day, but its a pretty good option.

Back