New to Everything Need Help.

T

Teraurel

Hello to everyone my names Sammy. I just ran across this site looking for airbrush help, so I hope I came to the right place. To start I have zero airbrush experience for that I have no painting experience. I know how to draw rather well dabbling mostly in fantasy and anime, with some skill in portraits. I have no clue how to blend colors or mix paints etc.
That being said Im 33 and really want to do this as I want to become successful in something. I have no idea if my airbrush gun is good but Its called WD-132E Veda.

My family due to financial issues is helping me get a kit from amazon, the best description I can give since I cant post links is "master airbrush brand multi-purpose professional airbrushing system with 3 airbrushes. If anyone can look at this and tell me if its a good investment I'd appreciate it.Im hoping in the least that the compressor is adequate for my needs starting. And lastly if anyone knows of some good paints for beginners to try out please let me know. I saw one called "wicked" I can get at hobby lobby. I want to do my work on automobiles.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

First welcome to the forum I will check it out but feel you would be better off with a brand name airbrush such as iwata, badger, or harder steenbeck. The master series AB's seem to be hit or miss.

Last edited:
Well to answer you question , For a basic starters kits it will do fine. But the tankless compressor it comes with builds heat and moisture in the line fast. With air off the compressor will show 40 PSI but when you press the trigger straight down to air on it will drop to about 25 PSI,
As far as having a gold of automotive painting you should really have a tank styled compressor, But that can come later after you learn the basics of dots , dagger strokes, fades,blends and some other tricks you can learn from watching the videos that Mitch( aka airbrush tutor) has on this site,
But I would suggest going to Michael's arts and crafts (if you have one in your area) print off the 40% OFF Coupon and buy a Badger 105 while there pick up some spectra-tex paint, Than go to walmart and buy one of the pancake compressor ,
Granted you may be spending a little more money but you will be happier in the long run.
Being you say you have a Hobby Lobby in you area you can do the same thing with the Iwata Eclipse CS airbrush Kit that comes with some com-art paint. still buy a compressor that has a tank. But either way you will get a pro airbrush and it will make learning to airbrush a happier time.

Wicked is great paint , I use it as well as Spectra-tex , But with wicked you will have to learn to reduce the paint to get the best flow from it.

Oh and Welcome home Sammy.

Welcome to the forum from Holland. You were offered some good advice here. We had a user here who had a problem with the Veda. Stick with the brands Micron mentioned to prevent getting frustrated because the airbrush does not perform well and concerning guarantee issues. Also the advice about getting a compressor with a tank is OK; it will take the pulsating out of the air stream and allow you to spray with a steady air stream.

O.k. Thank you all for the speedy replies. Question about a couple things. First at Michaels do I print off the coupon at the store location or off of their website? And sorry, what is a pancake compressor? Oh and one other thing I'm sure there might be something on the site in the tutorial section but what Is the best stuff to make stencils from?

I would agree with everything mentioned above....why get 3 crap brushes when 1 decent one would do.....as a beginner I would go with ther badger.....american made, ready to get parts....parts are cheap....and it's a fine brush....the compressors are ok I had one similar....5 months later it's starting to play up....get a tanked one!

New saying go krome or go home JK all great advise and before you buy the pancake compressor is noise going to be an issue?

Forgot about noise but he did say he wanted to paint cars...

Oh John love your new avatar Green Mile is one of my favorite books series and movies..

You can make stencils from most things that are thicker then paper like thick card (like Manila folders) overhead transperencies....anything that won't wrinkle or turn to mush when it's sprayed with paint. So I guess since you wanna do automotive then you want fire stencils?

Glad to see so much support and activity here its very reassuring. No noise isnt a problem I have a big shop behind my house to work in. As far as fire stencils I suppose that would be a good start for me. I will be looking into the tank compressor and the Badger 105 from Michaels.

When you say painting cars do you mean whole cars including clear coat? If so you will need a much larger compressor that has a higher cfm.

I can definitely recommend the patriot, from hairlines to bigger stuff, about stencils, cut them urself, a x acto knife 5$, and paper or plastic sheets, if ur short this is way cheaper just takes time.

When choosing your airbrush you might want to consider the size of what you will be painting. It might mean you would be better off with a siphon fed brush that can hold larger amounts of paint, and if you are wanting to change colour a lot may be easier and quicker. Having said that, I paint bikes and am happy with my Iwata hp cs (an all round workhorse that can produce great detail), which is gravity fed. Just something to consider. I use wicked paints as I find them extremely versatile and can also be used for canvas material and many surfaces. And you should definately get a compressor with a tank, you will want one anyway so may as well start as you mean to go on.

When you say painting cars do you mean whole cars including clear coat? If so you will need a much larger compressor that has a higher cfm.

When you say cfm what is that. And yes whole cars. Well its the end goal, practice and learning are the current ones. So in the meantime a suppose a smaller compressor would do with a gravity feed. Baby steps. :)

Yes to paint a whole car you will need a much larger compressor if you go to some spray gun sites and look at the specs it will usually have a cfm requirement the cfm is how fast the compressor makes air. A pancake will work good for a bike or a hood

Back