New to the whole airbrushing thing.

What gun and paints do you use?

I have the Iwata HP-BH, I have the plus model which has a built in air regulator but the one without is cheaper and an external mac regulator is better, at the moment I'm using com-art paints which would require less thinning in your case although I don't know if it's suited to your lures, I would recommend you stick with the paints previously mentioned.

The master was good to just practice with, get to know what an airbrush does. I used walmart paints at first, and watered them down. Then I bought createx, and yes its true, they are a gummy paint. Key is to buy reducer!! I currently ONLY use Wicked, and Auto Air paints (but then again, I paint on everything from metal, to clothes, and everything in between) I also have to give a little love to my Badger Kromes...yes, I own 2. I purchased the Paasche Vision, for the wide spread pattern,...but she can be a bit of a teenage girl, with hormones!!
Right now, while your practicing, use whatever you have on hand :)

The master was good to just practice with, get to know what an airbrush does. I used walmart paints at first, and watered them down. Then I bought createx, and yes its true, they are a gummy paint. Key is to buy reducer!! I currently ONLY use Wicked, and Auto Air paints (but then again, I paint on everything from metal, to clothes, and everything in between) I also have to give a little love to my Badger Kromes...yes, I own 2. I purchased the Paasche Vision, for the wide spread pattern,...but she can be a bit of a teenage girl, with hormones!!
Right now, while your practicing, use whatever you have on hand :)
Well I went out today and picked up some wicked colors today just regular opaque and some pearlized the place that I get them from locally only has opaque,pearls, and detail colors what's missing...
25493cc44c81765b6507defe53f0aebd.jpg

Did you pick up any reducer? I think you can get away with water, but everyone says the reducer that is made for wicked works well.

Did you pick up any reducer? I think you can get away with water, but everyone says the reducer that is made for wicked works well.

I can see the reducer, black top bottle on the back row:)

Be careful with the pearl stuff they also need a larger nozzle but your 0.3 should manage it, if want to use those a lot then the Iwata HP-C would be a better choice when you upgrade, I believe that is 0.35.

Oh, and you have more than enough to get started with, post your progress and let see how your doing ;)

Oh, and you have more than enough to get started with, post your progress and let see how your doing ;)
I will try now I seem to be having an issue with this cheap ass tankless compressor. Its from masters came as kit but I have another compressor I just picked up from someone but I need a reducer for the fitting... Tomorrow maybe... I will post pics of both when I get home.

I used to use wicked but since obtaining my microns now i only use etac but..... I used to find 3 paint to 1 reducer worked well for me sprayed at around 25 psi...... as many will tell you you can reduce alot lot further like 20 to 1 but this is for a different purpose for what you will be using try the ratios i suggest as a start and then add or lower your paint or pressure from there.... good luck

All your missing is Wicked reducer. If you go on the wicked web site, they tell ya recomended ratios. I cant really tell ya, because it depends on what im working on. Ive counted drops so many times, that I dont do it anymore (unless its high detail super reduced art), I pretty much know how much reeucer to throw in the cup.

I can see the reducer, black top bottle on the back row:)

Be careful with the pearl stuff they also need a larger nozzle but your 0.3 should manage it, if want to use those a lot then the Iwata HP-C would be a better choice when you upgrade, I believe that is 0.35.
Yes, the pearls can be a bit witchy :)

At the risk of repeating what has already been said, and seeing as you appear to prefer what is stated on the tech specs I'll summarize what is stated for the createx opaque colors.
Createx colors is a different formula system suited mainly for textile and canvas.

"Createx Airbrush Colors work best out of the bottle with a 0.5mm tip-sized airbrush operated @ 40 – 50 PSI
0.35mm tip size - Reduce 25 - 35% per volume. Operate 25 - 35 psi
0.2mm and smaller tip size reduce 50% per volume and greater. Operate 25 psi or less"

Opaques (what you have) are non see through and ideal as a base coat or large areas of a solid color.
Transparents (detail/wicked/illustration) are ideal for blending and detail work (like fish eyes and scales)
ALL paint should be laid down in multiple thin layers rather than one thick layer.
It should be sealed for protection.

I went out today JackEb and got some wicked colors bud that's what everyone said to do. Still have to get a better AB but I'll get there real soon. Does this chart work the same for wicked colors too.

Give me some time I'll see what I can find for the wicked/ detail but they have a finer pigment and no buffer so they are better suited for more precise work, not just portraits and fine art :)
In the meantime use the white standard createx you have, think it down to suit your airbrush (it sounds like you have a .3mm or close and 'base paint' whatever it is your making your lures with

Well I only have the black and white opaque and then yellow transparent regular airbrush colors . And today I just got about twelve wicked colors . I posted pic earlier . Thanks for you help all info is greatly appreciated.

Give me some time I'll see what I can find for the wicked/ detail but they have a finer pigment and no buffer so they are better suited for more precise work, not just portraits and fine art :)
In the meantime use the white standard createx you have, think it down to suit your airbrush (it sounds like you have a .3mm or close and 'base paint' whatever it is your making your lures with
Last response was for you...

Ok, this is what I would do with what you have
I haven't double checked but I assume your airbrush is around the .3mm size, most of the cheaper brushes seem to be roughly that size.

Find the biggest one (needle size) and use that for your opaques (with the equal amount of reducer) which do better with the larger needle, but drop your psi to around 40psi and do your opaque base coat.- once you've practiced a bit and you get faster you can up the psi to 50 without fear of throwing half a cup of paint in a 1cm square area., but for now the 40psi should be enough to at least get the paint out of the cup!

Once it's dry you can use your createx wicked at the recommendations given by createx of:

0.2mm and smaller tip size reduce 50% per volume and greater. Operate 25 psi or less"

Remember the wicked is translucent and will need multiple passes to get the colour laid down to what you want.

I always buy the big bottles of reducer, it works out cheaper and I tend to reduce at a ratio of between 1:1 to 1:4 (paint:reducer) depending on what I'm painting and I always go through more reducer than paint. I have a .2mm setup and only use wicked detail and illustration which have finer pigment that the wicked

I know you're getting frustrated and just want to get started (been there!) but there is no magic recipe, just guidelines which will vary depending on what you're painting on, the air temp, the amount of humidity etc etc. and that's what these guys and gals were trying to convey (with varying degrees of success LOL)
For tonight I'd say spend the time, check the 'Manual' that came with the brush and give the needle and nozzle a really really good clean out, then clean it again. If it sprays water with a nice even atomization then you can reduce the paint and give it a try. Use paper towels/ printer paper whatever you have handy and just get a feel for it.
It's only 5pm here in Australia so if you get stuck, post away. I'll be stalking around for the next 5-6 hours LOL

Ok, this is what I would do with what you have
I haven't double checked but I assume your airbrush is around the .3mm size, most of the cheaper brushes seem to be roughly that size.

Find the biggest one (needle size) and use that for your opaques (with the equal amount of reducer) which do better with the larger needle, but drop your psi to around 40psi and do your opaque base coat.- once you've practiced a bit and you get faster you can up the psi to 50 without fear of throwing half a cup of paint in a 1cm square area., but for now the 40psi should be enough to at least get the paint out of the cup!

Once it's dry you can use your createx wicked at the recommendations given by createx of:

Remember the wicked is translucent and will need multiple passes to get the colour laid down to what you want.

I always buy the big bottles of reducer, it works out cheaper and I tend to reduce at a ratio of between 1:1 to 1:4 (paint:reducer) depending on what I'm painting and I always go through more reducer than paint. I have a .2mm setup and only use wicked detail and illustration which have finer pigment that the wicked

I know you're getting frustrated and just want to get started (been there!) but there is no magic recipe, just guidelines which will vary depending on what you're painting on, the air temp, the amount of humidity etc etc. and that's what these guys and gals were trying to convey (with varying degrees of success LOL)
For tonight I'd say spend the time, check the 'Manual' that came with the brush and give the needle and nozzle a really really good clean out, then clean it again. If it sprays water with a nice even atomization then you can reduce the paint and give it a try. Use paper towels/ printer paper whatever you have handy and just get a feel for it.
It's only 5pm here in Australia so if you get stuck, post away. I'll be stalking around for the next 5-6 hours LOL
Wow in Australia cool I'm in NY so it's like 4 in the am later on today I will try what you have taught me and I will let you know how it went. I wish I was in Australia I'm a reef head at heart...

Back