Newb alert!! ( Dramatic sigh required b4 clicking)

F

Flyingskwerrl

Hi,

My name is Lou and I'm as new as it gets to AB. I currently own a Paasche Vl . My problem is that I seem unable to achieve the detail I am looking for. I'm thinking about buying a Badger Velocity. It's in my price budget and some reviews highlights seem to be what I'm looking for. Is this a wise decision?

Welcome to the forum. I used a Paasche Vl for a long time, in fact still use it for t-shirts, base coats, and other things. They are not a great detail brush, but it is a good brush to learn on. You can get good detail with the smallest needle/nozzle set up (I think its a .3), but you will need good technique with it. There are plenty of artists who can pull better detail with a Vl then I could with a Custom Micron. It comes down to technique and knowing the basics.

Having said that, A brush like the Velocity, would certainly make it easier for you. Badger makes some great brushes and they are very affordable. But... even with a better brush, it is still going to come down to your own abilities. So, even before you make the purchase, just get as much time in with the VL as you can... practice practice practice.... then when you step up to the Velocity, you will see a much bigger difference.

Welcome home, I too started with a Paasche VL , and with anything practice and more practice is the key to everything.
Nothing wrong with picking up a new brush but please do not look at it as an end all answer to super fine detail. That only comes with tons of practice.

Even with a micron you still have to have the practice and know the paint system you are using to get super fine detail.

I was not expecting such a quick response! Your opinions mean a great deal to me. I understand that I just keep needing to practice. It is a great deal of fun. I'm just getting a little discouraged bc I have yet to produce anything other than Lines N Dotz. It's my ongoing masterpiece that I've been working on.

Practicing dot and lines can get boring quickly, do a sheet or 2 of them then just select something simple to paint, you could look at the Tutors sheets like the eye and things like that. That way you paint something...practice...paint the same thing....practice...keep doing that and watch your progression. I have a Vega 2000 I use allot and it has a .3 needle and I can get some pretty fine lines. It is definitely not like the Krome, but right now I don't need the Krome detail I just have it since I could get it for a good price at the time.

No worries... the masterpiece will come with time. We all progress at our own pace. I've been airbrushing for years, but only taking it seriously for the last 12 months or so, and there have been down times in those 12 months where life got in the way... but look at some of the folks on this forum who have only been painting for a couple of months, and some of their work will blow mine out of the water.

If you're determined to get better.... then you will. It takes practice, and lots of time behind the airbrush. Follow the Airbrush Tutor's lessons, and you'll be painting eyes, tigers, and lot's of other interesting things in no time. Just remember to keep it fun.

Welcome to the forum.

I have been airbrushing a year and am nowhere near where I want to be. Practice is key. I don't get enough time to practice so my control is lacking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi there. Just wanted to let you know that when i first started a year ago, i wasn't getting the fine lines i wanted with the Iwata HPCS, like you. I shortly afterwards bought a micron and was able to get the results i was looking to achieve much quicker. But, having said that, i recently was using the HPCS for larger paint work, and, being lazy, i didn't want to change over to my micron for the detail work and, guess what? I could get those fine details out of that brush too! So, like everyone said before me, practice certainly is the key.. not just the brush. That was my experience. So, my advice, keep practicing until you get the control, air pressure and flow just right and you will make that brush sing. :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Hello Lou and welcome from the US, I do own a Badger Velocity and it does give me great detail but I'm sure it is capable of much more than my ability at this time, and yes it is a very good brush for the price range. But as stated in previous posts, having the best is only as good as your ability so the key is to practice...ALOT LOL. If you get tired of dots and lines, dagers, and fades heres a little tip...try messing around with coloring book pages. It may sound funny but it is a great way to learn control along with the fundamentals. GOOD LUCK!

Woah, never thought of using coloring books! Interesting....]

Welcome to the forum skwerrl! Upgrading your brush is great if that's what you want to do, but I can only repeat what everyone else has already said, only practice and experience are going to get you where you want to be. Trigger control is all important, so while those dots and daggers and lines and fades are going to drive you nuts, they are the key to everything you will ever want to paint, just spice it up with trying a few little pics now and then, and maybe do the same one again a week later to compare. When you think you aren't getting anywhere but compare the two, and see improvement, you'll be encouraged to carry on. The quality of your brush, and trigger control are only two sides of the triangle though. Paint mixture and air pressure is equally important. There is no magic formula for this, and everyone has their preferred ratios, but the rule of thumb is more reducer = less air pressure. I would advise experimenting to get your ratios to something you like, that is smooth, and consistant, with no spattering, or skipping. Once you have that down, trigger control and exercises will get easier and you'll be creating art before you know it. So don't get discouraged, most of us have been there, just persevere!

Post up those dots and dagger strokes , Mainly those are the basics for all your paintings.
but as stated coloring books , google some tattoo designs tattoo designs - Yahoo Image Search Results
print is and paint it , work on fades and blends , and make sure to watch all of the Airbrush Tutor's vid's on youtube..airbrushtutor - YouTube

Main thing is have fun with it.
Now switching from a bottom feed to the gravity feed of the Iwata Eclipse , Micron CM-C+ and the Badger Krome gave me less headaches and made my learning a lot more fun. But mainly you have to just try different airbrushes until you find the one that works for you the best and fits your style of airbrushing.

I say if you think its not just going to be a quick fad and if you could afford it grab a micron but if you did there wont be a better brush to move up to so itl take the fun out of it because i dont think theres going to be a better brush in the future unles iwata comes out with a .5 set up for the micron lol . I started with abad ger 150 mand a 360 becausew i was to much in a hurry to get my airbrush and those were the only guns that i could get around here . thain one day i decuided to get a velocity and instantly was able to get the fine detail i wanted. if you want to blow your mind get a bad ger velocity and some com art opaques especialy the tulicadien red put a couple of drops in at aboot 10 - 20 psi and youl be amazed also lots and lots of daggers and reverse daggers and get some line paper and do script letering ..also you dont need the krome its the same as the velocity ( my oppinion) engoy

Back