Newb In PNW

I would go for the bigger one, it's only 4 decibels louder at 60db. It won't be running as often and will cope better with longer sessions. If it's too loud then you can look into soundproofing options, or you will probs have to spend big money on a quieter one.

I would go for the bigger one, it's only 4 decibels louder at 60db. It won't be running as often and will cope better with longer sessions. If it's too loud then you can look into soundproofing options, or you will probs have to spend big money on a quieter one.
@kanahmal , I'd have to side with @Squishy on this. Much larger tank so the compressor runs much less often.
Also, sound ratings on compressors is very arbitrary and inconsistent. I have a compressor from Lowes that says it's 60 dB. Actual measurements at 6 feet is more like 79 dB. Was grateful to be given the opportunity to buy a used Medea Great White. It's even quieter than my first cheapy that burned up.
Apartments can be problematic though. Depends on how things are configured, etc.

Columbia Art & Drafting Supply
1515 E Burnside Street
Portland, OR 97214
Darn, closed on Sundays. Well I'll check it out later in the week. Maybe I'll check out Blicks today. I know they have a paint section at Guardian Games but if I recall correctly it's mostly Citadel, I don't know if I want to spend that much.

I'm really mostly concerned about the noise, I know decibels are logarythmic so it's possible it would make a difference also I know that decibel ratings are mostly lies... But if I can figure out how loud it is I'll prolly go with the big one.

It's mostly for my own comfort honestly. Being a motorcycle owner I've long since given up on being the most popular guy in the building.
You can always put the compressor up on blocks with multiple layers of tool box rubber tray liners and hang acoustic insulation around it. Not touching mind you, the air compressor needs air for the tank as well as cooling.

Darn, closed on Sundays. Well I'll check it out later in the week. Maybe I'll check out Blicks today. I know they have a paint section at Guardian Games but if I recall correctly it's mostly Citadel, I don't know if I want to spend that much.
Blick's are awesome! At least their website is. Not the cheapest compared to some, but they've got a lot of everything. If you're looking for Iwata Com-Art airbrush paints, it's Blicks or Coast Airbrush.

What's good people?

My name's Kanah and I live in the Portland Metro.

I just ordered my first airbrush, a Badger EXTREME© 105. I've never airbrushed before but I always have cans of spraypaint, regular paint, plasti-dip, metal etcher, and various other things for ruining the aesthetics of the toys and tools I spend too much money on.

I initially wanted an airbrush to assist in cerakoting my knives and guns, but I also have DnD minis that would be fun to paint, and my motorcycle helmet... and my motorcycle.... And just about everything else I own.

I went with a .3 nossle as I've heard thats the Jack of all trades nossle size. Small enough for detail but big enough to douse a thing.

Also I can get bigger nossles/needles if I ever decide to get a dedicated detail brush.

Anyway, still in the market for a compressor, unless someone steers me otherwise I was gonna get a California Air Tools compressor in the ~$100 range. Could drop some more skrill on it if it would make an appreciable difference. But I figure I should destroy a cheap one before I commit to a $7000 200 gallon 2 stage 3 phase 70cfm compressor strictly for my Badger Patriot.

So what's up?
Oh you definitely have to get the 200 gal compressor and post a pic with it hooked to just a patriot :)
But really most airbrushes are running .3-.4 cfm With trigger types running about .6cfm
Being you want to double the required cfm (because of the typical 50% duty cycle) the smaller one is just fine
That $100 california air is basically perfect for an apt.
More would just be if you had other tools in mind to run....but honestly its a big jump , 2.2cfm wont really buy you running any other tools i can think of....3.5 cfm ish would get you into mini spray gun range but i couldnt see running one in an apt anyhow.
Good thing with claifornia air is that if you find a reasonably stocked home depot you can often get them to run a floor model for you to hear in person
You do get that longer cycle time but....idk 5gal is starting to take up some real space in an apt....imo anyhow.
Just check em out for yourself at home depot....you wont really go too wrong either way.

What's good people?

My name's Kanah and I live in the Portland Metro.

I just ordered my first airbrush, a Badger EXTREME© 105. I've never airbrushed before but I always have cans of spraypaint, regular paint, plasti-dip, metal etcher, and various other things for ruining the aesthetics of the toys and tools I spend too much money on.

I initially wanted an airbrush to assist in cerakoting my knives and guns, but I also have DnD minis that would be fun to paint, and my motorcycle helmet... and my motorcycle.... And just about everything else I own.

I went with a .3 nossle as I've heard thats the Jack of all trades nossle size. Small enough for detail but big enough to douse a thing.

Also I can get bigger nossles/needles if I ever decide to get a dedicated detail brush.

Anyway, still in the market for a compressor, unless someone steers me otherwise I was gonna get a California Air Tools compressor in the ~$100 range. Could drop some more skrill on it if it would make an appreciable difference. But I figure I should destroy a cheap one before I commit to a $7000 200 gallon 2 stage 3 phase 70cfm compressor strictly for my Badger Patriot.

So what's up?
3 phase ??? I have a 2 phase 600 gallon that run my entire shop lifts and all but as for running my airbrush I have a couple , One is the kobalt quiet compressor which is kind of quite compared to a standard craftsman compressor, and a silent air 50 that is super silent (I use that in the winter months in the basement). Summer time I like being out in the garage.
But being the highest you should ever have to run an airbrush and usually when doing textiles is 60 PSI, 35 PSI is about the standard starting pointing , Most times mine is never over 20 LOL.
But Welcome home D&D figures are fun to paint and add textures to with an airbrush.

Not familiar with that model, but I think the 5.5 gallon is a good move, especially for that little amount extra cash. Yes you can run an ab on smaller, but it won't have to kick in as much and will be less strain/wear and tear on it. Just the confused ramblings of a not entirely sane mind, lol.

Back