NewBee Questions

TheTrainRev

Young Tutorling
Hi All

I inherited several airbrushes: Iwata Eclipse, Badger 105, Paasche and even Harbor Freight.

1. Are all airbrush needles/caps/crowns/nozzles interchangeable between airbrush brands?
2. Can I buy generic parts (kits) online from Amazon or should I buy from the manufacturer?
2. How can I identify the sizes of needles, caps, crowns and nozzles I already have?

Thanks for your patience and help!

Hi and welcome to the forum, The TrainRev.

Inherited typically means someone close to you is no longer with us, if that's the case, please accept my condolences. Really none of my business and no explanation expected. Just an I am sorry for your loss.

Before the really knowledgeable folk can help, we need to know a little about you. If you pop over to: https://airbrushforum.org/introductions/
and at least give us a clue where you live, (country is helpful), we can direct you to the best places to look and shop.

Now to answer your questions the best I can, which admittedly is limited, you have listed 3 different main brands and 1 could be an almost anything brand ( Iwata, Badger, Paashe = main / Harbor Freight could be practicality anything.)
If I'm wrong anywhere here, someone will be along shortly to correct me.
1. Are all airbrush needles/caps/crowns/nozzles interchangeable between airbrush brands?
No. There are some that do interchange and there are people here that can tell you which ones they are, but as far as I know none of your main brands interchange with each other.

2. Can I buy generic parts (kits) online from Amazon or should I buy from the manufacturer?
Can and should are 2 different things. If you want to roll the dice and hope your getting the real thing and not a counterfeit, amazon is fine. If you want to spend a little more, (sometimes but not always!!!) shop at a trusted seller. Recommendations will be based on your country of residence.

2. How can I identify the sizes of needles, caps, crowns and nozzles I already have?
That will be a question for the heavy hitters here, @DaveG , @2Diverse, @tatocorvette and some others who will stop by and say "Hi".

Are you anticipating using these brushes, or selling? Your in the right spot to learn to use them, for sure.

Again, Welcome to the site,
Joe

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. To try to answer your questions as Joe covered most of what I'd have said related to the first two.

1. No.
Some parts interchange between Japanese brushes, Iwata, Olympos, Richpen etc but needles and nozzles are typically proprietary to each company. Some Thayer&Chandler model A parts interchange with Badger 100 series parts. Paasche is their own. I doubt you can buy parts for an HF. Probably cheaper just to buy another one.

2. Look at the SprayGunner website. They should carry the parts you will need for the brushes you have. They are good folk and they ship to most, but not all, countries.

3. The Eclipse should have an 0.35mm needle/nozzle.
You don't specify which Paasche brush you have.
I believe the 105 has a ball end on the back of the needle. They are color-coded although offhand I do not remember what color goes to what size needle/nozzle. They have 3 sizes. Super detail, detail and medium (general purpose).

Welcome to the forum!
For the Patriot (105), if the needle has a black ball at the blunt end it is a super-detail. Part number 51-046.
If it is blue it is the fine setup. Part number 51-047.
If it is silver then it is the medium general purpose setup, part number 51-048.

Keep in mind needle, nozzle and regulator must match.

Thanks,
Ismael

My Friends

After reading your helpful replies, I realized I didn't present enough information that was needed for me to benefit from your suggestions. So I would like to re-list my spraying inventory, absent the Paasche:

Each of the following already have needles inserted, but the person who gave them to me said he doesn't recall which needles, nozzles or caps he inserted:

1. Airbrush City #1402 Single Action (SA) - no needle
2. Badger #150 Double Action (DA) - no needle
3. Badger #155 Anthem DA - silver ball on end of needle
4. Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic #95810 DA - silver ball on end of needle
5. Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic #69492 DA - silver ball on end of needle
6. Iwata Eclipse HP-CS DA - no ball on end of needle

So, of the 6 airbrushes above, I'd like your suggestions regarding which would be worthwhile to "rebuild".

I also have 4 needles (loose/unpackaged) but I don't know what "size" they are:

2ea 110mm X 1.20mm dia
1ea 103mm X 1.29mm dia
1ea 140mm X 1.40mm dia

Any suggestions you can offer regarding identifying the needles and their possible uses, would also be greatly appreciated.

I apologize for any confusion my previous posts may have caused.

Kyrie:

I will check out SprayGunner's website. Thanks

Hello,

If the needles have rings or grooves at the blunt end like these:
IMGP4093.jpg
These are Badger Legend Series needles that will fit your 150. They fit models 100, 150, and 200 variations.
1 ring means Fine setup.
2 rings like this one means Medium setup
3 rings mean Heavy or Large setup

*EDIT* The front regulator of Badger Legends will have a "H" or "L" engraved for Heavy or large, "XF" or "F" for fine, "IL" or "M" for medium. If no markings, it is a Medium.

On the 155 Anthem, a silver ball at the end of the needle indicates a general purpose Medium setup.

Both Harbor Freight airbrushes are essentially the same. The silver ball has no meaning as they come with only one size setup, equivalent to a medium. That airbrush is actually a knockoff of the Badger 150 with the handle to look like a 155 Anthem. Properly setup, it works pretty good.

Airbrush city 1402 is an external mix airbrush. The "needle" is inside the cone. That is one of the 3 million variations of the Badger 350 style sold under a gazillion different names. We can get into external mix discussion if you are interested.

I have no experience with Iwata so I can't comment on that. The color ball is a Badger thing. Iwatas have no color balls on their needles, that I am aware of.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Ismael

I am not sure what the 1.2 needle would be from (out of what you have).
The 1.29 is Badger or HF
1.4mm is from the Eclipse.

Ina pinch, you can simply try them in each brush - by this I mean you can try slipping them in from the back. The first test will be does the needle fit through the needle chuck without excessive force? If it fits, does it go all the way in and pass through the color cup area of the brush without excessive force? Good so far - does it reach the nozzle? You will be looking for at least some portion of the needle to protrude from the tip of the nozzle (without forcing anything!). The needle must be long enough to seat in the needle, and stick out the back of the needle chuck so it can be locked in place by the chucking nut. You find out pretty quick what does, and what doesn;t work with what you have. Just don' t force anything, and you should be fine.

Thanks, Joe, Kyrie, Ismael and Dave. The info you all shared is invaluable. I really appreciate it.

I made a spray-gun spreadsheet containing all the pertinent info for each gun including; name, model # & size, operating pressure, etc.

That said (my fav saying), where is the needle size actually measured (0.35mm, etc); at the very tip, at the point where the needle seats in the nozzle, or?

Thanks

Thanks, Joe, Kyrie, Ismael and Dave. The info you all shared is invaluable. I really appreciate it.

I made a spray-gun spreadsheet containing all the pertinent info for each gun including; name, model # & size, operating pressure, etc.

That said (my fav saying), where is the needle size actually measured (0.35mm, etc); at the very tip, at the point where the needle seats in the nozzle, or?

Thanks
You may want to look at the needle/nozzle size numbering as a simple guide, like fine, medium, large, etc... because you won't find an actual measurement for any of the actual pieces or parts. While some people seem to refer to the measurements as nozzle size, I have yet to find a nozzle that actually matches the indicated size. I tend to think it is more the measurement of the size of the open area between nozzle and needle when the trigger is at full draw.

Glad to help. You still haven't mentioned which Paasche brush you have. Top secret or you don't need info on it?

And you can call me 2Diverse, 2D or Jim.

Kyrie Eleison is Greek for Lord have mercy. It's just part of my signature.:)

Kyrie Eleison is Greek for Lord have mercy. It's just part of my signature.:)
2D - Oops! Thanks for clarifying .....

I was mistaken ... I don't have a Paasche brush. For now, I'll stick with the 6 others I have until I get more proficient!
You may want to look at the needle/nozzle size numbering as a simple guide, like fine, medium, large, etc...
Thanks for the tip, DaveG. That makes much more sense, to me.

BTW - As an HO scale (1:87) model railroad hobbyist, I'll be using the air brushes to weather my engines and rolling stock in the late 50s/early60s era.

Back