Newbie from Australia

simso

Young Tutorling
Hey guys,

I posted a question on another forum on how to airbrush and I was referred to here

the opening home page of this website blew me away regarding the quality of airbrush work, so umm I joined,

I have a devilbiss airbrush, and really am busting at the chops to start learning

i did some line work today, but I really need guidance on where to start

any help or direction would be appreciated

thanks

steve

Welcome aboard Steve!! All of your answers shall be answered here :adoration: We have a great bunch of peeps with loads of info!! Where are you from?, what paints do you have?

Hey thanks, I've just been watching the tutorials, it appears I first need to spray dots, so tommorrow lots of dots are going to be happening

im unsure where to start with air pressure and how much to thin my paint out

the paint I have is car base paint, I spray guitars in two pack poly, but I think that paint would be to thick and impractical to mix hardener with paint for such a little amount, but I do have base coat paint which doesn't need to be mixed with hardener and air cures

i ran the airbrush today at 30 psi and unthinned paint, it appeared to be okay, but I'm guessing it's too much pressure for fine work

steve

Welcome to the forum from The uS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hey steve, psi is down to personal preferance really bro, but psi also goes hand in hand with paint thickness..... thicker paint =more pressure etc.... 25-30 is a good palce to start though and then you can reduce from there..... when doing portraits with mildly unreduced paint i spray around 25.... s

see how you get on but if you like it i would defo advise getting some airbrush specific paint such as trident or wicked ( i think both are available over there)

Hi steve, welcome from the uk. Looks like you've been pointed towards the Tutor's vids. Those dots and daggers etc will drive you nuts, but stick with them. Master them and you will be able to tackle anything!

Welcome to the forum Steve, what devilbiss do you have just out of interest? Dont worry about anything as we will be able to answer any question you may have. Just keep on practising the dots and daggers and you will be on your way to good control of your airbrush.

Lee

Thanks everyone for the kind welcomes,

Gun is a Devilbiss DAGR 501G.

Tutorial guide one done, tutorial guide 2 done, Im off to a dotty start. Lines tomorrow

Attachments

• dots.JPG
    dots.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
welcome from honduras,hope you can call this place home as i do!!!:loyal:

Thanks for the link, I've said yes even though this is my second day of airbrushing

i have to thank the person doing the tutorials, apart from being amusing to watch, learning lots fast.

im only up to lines, done dots, but now lines

who would have thought how hard it is to paint a straight line.

I found today running the pressure regulator at 10 psi instead of 25 made a huge control difference, I also thinned my paint out to 50/50,

Its addictive, now I know why kids love doing graffiti,

steve

If someone doesn't mind answering, what's the best way of cleaning your airbrush without damaging the needle. Does it need to be pulled apart.

i have normal paint guns, and to clean them out I just run thinners through them, I don't pull them apart.

Thanks for the link, I've said yes even though this is my second day of airbrushing

i have to thank the person doing the tutorials, apart from being amusing to watch, learning lots fast.

im only up to lines, done dots, but now lines

who would have thought how hard it is to paint a straight line.

I found today running the pressure regulator at 10 psi instead of 25 made a huge control difference, I also thinned my paint out to 50/50,

Its addictive, now I know why kids love doing graffiti,

steve
Awesome, I really hope it will help you push forward, and look forward to seeing your progress :)

Back