Newbie from England

I

it'sonlypaint

Hey everybody, just discovered this forum whilst trying to find out what happened to Jamie Rodriguez - tragedy. Been spraying for about a year now after trying for first time 25 years ago and giving up! Went on a course with Marissa Oosterlee in May - best thing I've done!. I'm currently trying to get my work into the local art scene and maybe sell a bit - that would be nice. Here's a few of the latest pieces.

airbrushed rossi (1000 x 750).jpgali t shirt 2.jpgAlien v Pred T (750 x 1000).jpgrobert plant .jpghagler t shirt.jpg

Hello from germany, and welcome to the forum. Your work looks very impressive :)

I'm always impressed by a great portrait no matter the medium.
Great work!

Hey everybody, just discovered this forum whilst trying to find out what happened to Jamie Rodriguez - tragedy. Been spraying for about a year now after trying for first time 25 years ago and giving up! Went on a course with Marissa Oosterlee in May - best thing I've done!. I'm currently trying to get my work into the local art scene and maybe sell a bit - that would be nice. Here's a few of the latest pieces.

View attachment 3462View attachment 3463View attachment 3464View attachment 3465View attachment 3466
well come to the forum.
big Vele.

hi mate and welcome.... what course did you do with marissa, was it the monochrome or full colour portrait class. did you do it in yarmouth??? are you from east of u.k as well im from cambs........ are you going to kustom kulture on 1st sept

hi mate and welcome.... what course did you do with marissa, was it the monochrome or full colour portrait class. did you do it in yarmouth??? are you from east of u.k as well im from cambs........ are you going to kustom kulture on 1st sept

Hi, yes it was the Yarmouth course full colour portrait class and it was amazing. It made me realise what level can be achieved. This is the painting I did and I've never done photo realism before. There was one guy there who'd never touched an airbrush before and even he got a decent result. I'm from Leeds so it's a bit of a trek down there but I'd love to go back in November. Gonna try and get to KKBO, some of the guys on the course are there so would be nice to catch up

airbushed face (750 x 1000).jpg

well done you !!!!! petes a legend also,i get all my paint from him. really impressed with your painting, how close to that do you think you could of got if you had not had the instruction from her and carlo. i would love to go to that class, my sketching is crap though, it would take me the majority of first couple of days just drawing it out i think

weirdly aswell i think the best bits of that are the ear and the feather in her hair, tones in the ear are epic. my pictures dont have ears hahaha

You don't have to be good at drawing, we had several black & white copies of this image that we just cut out masks from to get the basic shapes. There are so many little tricks and tips for fine detail but yes the skin tones were the best thing she taught. It's her system of using traditional techniques like creating an underpainting then layering washes of colour over the top that really work well. I've just done this Robert Plant portrait by using the grid system to enlarge a photo onto cheap drawing paper, I then cut out the eyes, nostrils, lips and the edge of the face and ghosted them in and then just freehand the shapes in using simple paper shields. Yes Pete is a great guy, just wish I lived a bit nearer.

robert plant wip.jpgrobert plant wip1.jpgrobert plant wip2.jpgrobert plant 1.jpg

View attachment 3462View attachment 3463View attachment 3464View attachment 3465View attachment 3466
the fantastic t shirt with moamed. ;)

You don't have to be good at drawing, we had several black & white copies of this image that we just cut out masks from to get the basic shapes. There are so many little tricks and tips for fine detail but yes the skin tones were the best thing she taught. It's her system of using traditional techniques like creating an underpainting then layering washes of colour over the top that really work well. I've just done this Robert Plant portrait by using the grid system to enlarge a photo onto cheap drawing paper, I then cut out the eyes, nostrils, lips and the edge of the face and ghosted them in and then just freehand the shapes in using simple paper shields. Yes Pete is a great guy, just wish I lived a bit nearer.

View attachment 3472View attachment 3473View attachment 3474View attachment 3475

thats pretty much how i do mine anyhow, basic eye location and nostrils and edge of face all cut out roughed in then detail on top, just struggle a bit more when it comes to enlarging. nicked a over head projector from work though so have now got those bases covered!! woop woop. robert plant pic is also awesome, you clearly have some excellent skills and will be an asset to us on the forum.
got a baby on the way in a month so there is no way the mrs will let me anywhere near yarmouth in november, hmmmm maybe have to catch up with her next year!

Hello and welcome to the forum ! This first time realistic portrait you did there - great work !
It's really inspiring to know how someone can get better, by working with great artists, and just following her/his tips !
Hope you'll like this forum :)
Cheers !

Thanks Tsunami, here's a better pic

ali t shirt 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thats pretty much how i do mine anyhow, basic eye location and nostrils and edge of face all cut out roughed in then detail on top, just struggle a bit more when it comes to enlarging. nicked a over head projector from work though so have now got those bases covered!! woop woop. robert plant pic is also awesome, you clearly have some excellent skills and will be an asset to us on the forum.
got a baby on the way in a month so there is no way the mrs will let me anywhere near yarmouth in november, hmmmm maybe have to catch up with her next year!

Have you seen Marissa? - Your Mrs won't let you anywhere near her full stop!

Woooo your work is killer mate!!! Welcome aboard my friend, this is a great place to be with loads of talent and great people, love your work so far and look forward to seeing more, I you have any info on more classes like that please post them in the courses and demo thread.
I live in suffolk so not to far from GY.
Would like to know how you did the AVP pic on the shirt, did you cut out a stencil or freehand??

Woooo your work is killer mate!!! Welcome aboard my friend, this is a great place to be with loads of talent and great people, love your work so far and look forward to seeing more, I you have any info on more classes like that please post them in the courses and demo thread.
I live in suffolk so not to far from GY.
Would like to know how you did the AVP pic on the shirt, did you cut out a stencil or freehand??
http://www.createxuk.co.uk/marissa-oosterlee-world-dates/4557639740

Welcome from another UK Member,
What was your work like before the course?

Back