Newbie from the Low Country (Coastal SC, US)

J

Jaxon727

Well, I've been lurking for a while and trying to absorb as much info as possible regarding airbrushes, techniques and the like from all over the web and finally took the plunge and bought a starter kit from a young man who had hoped to get into it but before he could even start he developed nerve damage that prevented him from holding his hand steady. Now I feel it's my responsibility to try and do his sacrifice justice, though I have a feeling he would have been very good at it given his talent with pen and pencil.
The kit consisted of a Iwata HP-C plus, a TCP Global TC-20T compressor, a cleaning pot, 12 issues of Air Brushes Action magazine, 20 bottles of Createx paints, an a Cory Saint Claire DVD, all unused for $200, I think I did pretty well.
I decided to try AB to compliment some of the wood sculpting I do, lately I've been doing a lot of large fish and though I prefer to keep the grain as visible as possible, some of the fish are so colorful I would like to show that as well. I'm hoping the use of transparent paints might allow me to get the best of both worlds. Any suggestions on how best to prepare the surface would be appreciated.
I've included an example of what I'm doing so you can get a better idea of what I want to achieve. This was my first attempt at painting, I used acrylics in a light wash, but I think I could achieve better results with the air brush.
I also hope to try my hand at more typical AB usage.
Thanks, Guy

Attachments

• 20111203_164432.jpg
    20111203_164432.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 009-2.jpg
    009-2.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to the forum Guy, you'll find it all here.

This cool work your producing, I'm no pro but if you wish to keep the grain, maybe start with clear base coat and apply your colours using transparent colours or possibly even candies.

You be bombarded with tips in no time, good luck with it and please show us more of your creations.

And feel free to make good use of the gallery to show of your obvious talent.

Welcome from Chattanooga , tuna looks sweet!! Glad to have you here and if you have a question just put it out there!! I'll help as much as I can!!

Josh

you got such a good deal on your kit! excellent starter kit - could probably call it a finisher kit as it's likely all you'll ever need. if you need a hand with anything please ask!

Thank you for the warm welcome, I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions soon.

Back