Newbie from UK

K

keefyboy

Hi Guys
My Name is Keith and I live in Kent ,England.
I can draw but have never used an Airbrush before so thought this would be a great
place to find out what is required and get advice from experienced Airbrush artists.
I am total newbie to Airbrushing and in fact I havnt even got an Airbrush Yet.
But I want to find out about what would be the best Airbrush and compressor to buy.
I was inspired by seeing the amazing work of Marissa Oosterlee and would like to be able to do Portrait
Pictures someday[soon hopefully]:eagerness:
Regards
Keefy

Welcome home Keefy,
You have found the best place to learn not only what you need to have in order to airbrush but Airbrush Tutor has videos to get you started on the right foot.

Hi Keefy, from another Brit, all you need to know is here mate. Try doing a search to see if some old threads answer your questions, or just ask away.

I also am a newbie but welcome you as well and hope to learn along with you.

Hi Keefy, Welcome from another fellow Brit and newbie on here.

I'm sure you will pick up a lot of good advise on here as to which airbrush you should use. I would say choose from Badger, Harder & Steenbeck or Iwata. I have had some semi good results from the cheap chinese airbrushes (they will get you started) but like any good tool you get what you pay for! Have a read through the airbrush section and see what you think. One other word of warning ... The smaller the nozzle size the more detail you can do (once your at a required level of expertise) but the harder and more problematic (paint viscosity etc) they can be. I know I have a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity with a 0.15 needle/nozzle set up yet I find my Iwata eclipse easier to paint with with its 0.5 needle/nozzle but it can't do really thin lines. I have no affiliation to any brand and tend to choose an air brush on its reputation, the price and the job I bought it for. I'm currently thinking of adding another AB to my list and am currently looking at a Badger Renagade Krome (whats the difference between the Chrome and the velocity anyone?) as I want someing with a mid size needle/ nozzle setup thats gravity fed.

Hope you enjoy your stay here ... I know I am!

Andy

Hi Keefy, Welcome from another fellow Brit and newbie on here.

I'm sure you will pick up a lot of good advise on here as to which airbrush you should use. I would say choose from Badger, Harder & Steenbeck or Iwata. I have had some semi good results from the cheap chinese airbrushes (they will get you started) but like any good tool you get what you pay for! Have a read through the airbrush section and see what you think. One other word of warning ... The smaller the nozzle size the more detail you can do (once your at a required level of expertise) but the harder and more problematic (paint viscosity etc) they can be. I know I have a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity with a 0.15 needle/nozzle set up yet I find my Iwata eclipse easier to paint with with its 0.5 needle/nozzle but it can't do really thin lines. I have no affiliation to any brand and tend to choose an air brush on its reputation, the price and the job I bought it for. I'm currently thinking of adding another AB to my list and am currently looking at a Badger Renagade Krome (whats the difference between the Chrome and the velocity anyone?) as I want someing with a mid size needle/ nozzle setup thats gravity fed.

Hope you enjoy your stay here ... I know I am!

Andy
a few minor differences between the velocity and the krome, however they both have the same size nozzle.... the krome has the thumb rest and improved trigger, it also has the dialed in trigger stop at the back of the brush....i believe you would get very similat resultes with the velocity to the krome but the krome is maybe a little more comfortable in the hand

Cheers for that info Ad! Prices differ madly between UK and States for the Badger's. Think it may still pay off to order from the US and pay the extra postage costs!

Should slap our hands for Hijacking Keefy's Thread ... Still useful info for someone making there mind up about an airbrush!

last time at kustom kulture,ken from badger was there.... he was selling kromes for £50 .... velocitys for 45 and sotars for about 45 also...... your patriots etc etc would run about £35....... as it stands i believe he will be here this year aswell.... last day of august 1st day of september............ if you can not make it down ill be happy to get some for you???

sorry bout that keefy..... welcome brother.......... as you see we are all out for helping each other inwhich ever ways possible......community style! do well mate and if i can be any assisatnce then let me know

Me thinks this could be a day out for all the UK members of the forum!!!

Maybe we should start a new thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
a couple of us met last year.... but forum and friendships where in infancy but yer maybe this year we could catch a few beers aswell??

Welcome, Keefy, from another Brit and relative newbie to airbrushing.
This is a great place to be.
Be sure to watch the AB Tutor tutorials ..... they are brilliant !
I watched Marissa, and others, painting at the Kustom Kulture Blastoff last year and was inspired to pick up my airbrush and get practicing.
I, too, want to get into portrait painting but every one I do at the moment tends to look like Quasimodo !
Have fun here, mate. You will love it !

have you tried painting a picture of quasimodo yet....just thinking....everybody has their strengths

Now why didn't I think of that ?
See, this place is full of helpful people :encouragement:

Hi Guys
Thanks for the really warm welcome and the great advice about Airbrushes.
I think I will go with Iwata possibly one of the Eclipse series.
Just have to see what type of compressor to go for with Silent running and
Moisture trap.
Anyway chaps thanks again
Keefy:friendly_wink:

what have you got to spend on the compressor mate, take a look at bambi!

Back