Newbie having some problems

Just start with something like 5 water to 1 paint and see how that goes. If it flows easy but splatters change to 4 to 1, and so on. Don't be surprised if different colors require a different mixture.

Sorry to hear about all the troubles.
I'm glad I have not had any yet. Well I have, I got 5 Chinese knock-offs for 30 bucks and one tip had a stripped thread (parts for the other 4 and they gave me my money back on that one).
My other brushes are also knock offs from ebay AUS.
Had no tip troubles, now got a couple of .2's a couple of .3's and a couple or .5's as well as the 4 other ones I've never used yet.
I have ordered a reputable one from amazon US but that's a 6 month delivery, september this year apparently before 8pm (I laugh at this part) it gets delivered from a march order.

Hope you get it all sorted out, don't give up.
Maybe if you give a location someone may be able to come see what your trouble is or you may go to them, get some pointers.

Helio......tried to really tighten down the nozzle and still have liquid dripping out of the tip and air blowing back through the cup. I am at my wit's end at this point.

I am assuming you have the proper needle paired up with the proper nozzle? Which one are you using and which cap/crown are you using?

Well, I got it fixed. It took forever and I am not entirely sure what I did to fix it, but I'll take the win. I want to keep trying to airbrush but I am at the point where I am afraid to use them!

Thanks for trying, Helio.

I guess I need to work more with identifying the consistency by appearance. I used the 5:1 ratio, which didn't work - it sprayed super thin. Then I slowly added more of the paint and got it through...but it was streaky and spattered a lot. After that first cup went through, it clogged before I could even put reducer through it between cups.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean by "put a reducer through between cups"? Reducer isn't intended to flush out or clean between colors, just reduce the intensity of the color you're using.
What pressure are you spraying at?

Oh....paint is also dripping out of the nozzle, too. Not sure if that helps narrow down the problem.

Robert if you have paint dripping out of the nozzle even when you aren't pulling for paint this could mean that your needle isn't seating properly, the needle should fit snugly into the nozzle when it is closed, it can also meant that there is a tiny fleck of debris inside your nozzle or attached to the needle stopping it from coming all the way forward when closed, this problem is more common than you may think because in the case of new airbrushes, this issue is very often the result of a little debris from machining at the factory, and even more often you can see this debris with the human eye, you can try to get in with a sharpened toothpick to clean and polish your needle.

As for the blow-back, it's possible that nozzle sits to far back, this could be because of over-tightening or simply a faulty seal around the threads, it can also be caused by the nozzle protector cap sitting too far forward again possibly a faulty seal or wrong seal meaning maybe too large, and, it can also be caused by debris around the aperture of the nozzle protector cap, that is the little space between the cap and the nozzle, it is essential that this space forms a complete uniformed circle, a lot of these little issues can only be seen by using a jeweller's loupe or strong magnifying glass.

When seasoned airbrush users buy a new brush we generally strip them down completely before the first use, clean all the factory gunge off of them and lube them up, as you can guess by now there some pretty damn good reasons for doing so, Mitch has a video on this very subject.

Ken Badger is a member on this forum, if you use the search function above you can find a list of forum threads where he has placed his email address, if you contact him I know for sure he will help you, since he is the owner of the Badger company he makes it his business to keep customes satisfied, he is also a great guy

My advice, contact Ken first, good chance he will ask you to send your brush in for a tune up, failing that you will certainly get appropriate advice and tips.

In the meantime, I can understand that you may be getting a little frustrated, but keep your cool, very soon you'll wonder what you ever did without your airbrush.

I use some of the paints you use and find that most of the time its caused by a chunk of paint thats to big to push thru the nozzle try straining the paint before putting it in the airbrush (wifes old pantyhose work well just cut a piece big enought to place under the paint cap 2 inch by 2 inch work well) so the paint gets strained as you pour your paint into the airbrush from the bottle hope this helps! btw as you use the paint this get worse as the paint in the bottle drys to the sides of the bottle and every time you shake the paint up pieces come off from that and get mixed with the paint.

Hey Robert, hate to hear your having problems.
99% of the time an airbrush that won't spray properly is not clean.
I use a jewelers loupe 10x and bright light to check for dried paint obstructing the paint or air flow.
I doubt anything is broken on the Krome as it is new so time to clean again and again if necessary.
If the Krome has solvent proof needle packing I would use acetone.
Once you think it is clean, try spraying water and see if it works.

Good luck and let us know, Jim

I think basepaint might have gotten this one figured out. It's working fine today...got paint through it with multiple cup refills and color changes in between.

It was not sticking well to the poster board, though. It seemed like the board repelled some of it and other times the paint even dripped.

Some spattering, too. I am at about 25ish psi. Any lower and not even air comes out of the brushes.

If it weren't for the drips and splatters, my space tutorial would be looking good.

Thanks everyone.

- netgeist

If you can't get just air to come out of your brush under 25psi, you have other problems. Air should come out at 1 psi., and I imagine you should be able to push water at around 5 psi.

Sigh. More problems?

Well, considering that none of the brushes seem to blow air at that level, where could the trouble be?

Thanks,

- netgeist

It would have to be the compressor or the hose. Take the hose off the compressor and see if air comes out at a lower pressure, if it does put the hose on (with an open end on the brush side) and do the same thing. If it doesn't come out with no hose on the compressor, you may have a bad pressure regulator or filter. If you're not getting low pressure with the hose attached, it may be a hose blockage.

I could be possible that the gauge just isn't working properly. When the pressure in the tank is gone (assuming it has a tank) and you increase the pressure with the valve does the gauge follow accordingly? When you start spraying the airbrush does the gauge drop a few psi and then immediately recover to the set pressure when you release?
What compressor are you using? Maybe post up some pictures of your equipment and setup if you can.

ALL, I repeat, all the connections on the front of your brush must be firmly set to seal them and prevent air loss or leakage from occuring.
If any of these fail to seal properly, you are going to have troubles.
As a matter of course, I always visually check the o-rings and any other seal when I'm cleaning my gun at the end of my painting session.
You have not mentioned what air pressure you were using, either, which may help us help you out.
We have all experienced some or all of your problems at one time or another, and we sympathise with you.
I personally do not believe that there are people who cannot airbrush; only those who have never tried hard enough or had the desire to learn.
I'm equally sure the good folks here will help get your gear sorted and rekindle the inspiration as they have done many times in the past [for me!].

I'll post some pics later today. It's an Airbrush Depot TC20T. I just ran the tests you recommended and discovered three things:

- The gauge has a set of readings labelled "bar" and a psi reading as well. No air comes out of the compressor without it hitting 23ish on the bar scale and 38ish on psi
- there is a sticker on the compressor that says "on:43psi"
- The specifications state that it has an auto stop, start at 3Bar, stop at 4Bar

Not entirely sure what all of that means. It sorts of sounds like this doesn't even start to work until it hits that pressure. Could that mean it's not really 43psi...it's this thing's equivalent of say, 1psi?

- Bob

1Bar equals about 15 psi. I asume that your compressor got a tank. The start at 3 stop at 4 may mean that if the pressure goes below 3 bar (tank) the compressor works it up to 4 bar untii the motor stops again. Hope this is helpful anyhow

No air comes out of the compressor without it hitting 23ish on the bar scale and 38ish on psi

It would seem the regulator is more adapted for high pressures, you will need to get yourself an other regulator to connect to the compressor with a more precise gauge to get better control on your air you put your compressor regulator to a higher pressure 40 to 60 psi let say and then just control the air output with the added regulator, that is what I did.

ejuqy8e2.jpg

Hope it helps :)

Is any airbrush compressor good for airbrushing? I have another sort of all-purpose one hanging around.

The TC20T is made for airbrushes. The on43 means when the pressure drops to 43psi the compressor will kick on and pump the tank back up to the cut off pressure of 57psi and then shut off until the pressure drops to 43psi ad infinitum or at least until it overheats.

I agree with Heliotropic post #33, disconnect your airbrush and make sure you compressor is blowing air at low pressure, if so then check the hose.

Yes you can use any compressed air source just make sure your not using more pressure than the air valve can sustain.

Jim

Back