Newbie in UK

J

Jambo

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum. Have always loved the airbrushing I've seen. Having a creative arty background I would very much like to give it a go as a new hobby.

I'm looking to invest in a starters kit that I could start using as a beginner to intermediate level. As a starting point I'd like to airbrush designs on snowboards and maybe ski helmets.

Any suggestions on any full kits that would be suitable and also types of paints that can withstand up to -30 degrees freezing conditions

Any suggestions would be appreciated [emoji300]

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forums. I'm sure someone will be along quickly to offer plenty of help in selecting the airbrush and supplies that will best suit your needs
I'm still a newb so I personally dont have enough experience to offer help

Welcome to the forums. I'm sure someone will be along quickly to offer plenty of help in selecting the airbrush and supplies that will best suit your needs
I'm still a newb so I personally dont have enough experience to offer help
Thank you [emoji1360]

Welcome Jambo. You’ve come to the right place for advice and help. Having an idea of the kind of work you’d like to aim it is helpful too as that has a lot to do with what kind of equipment would be good.
The dirt cheap starter kits can add to frustration, there’s enough to learn with airbrushing without being hampered by kit. At the same time it doesn’t have to break the bank either. Have you got a rough budget in mind to help narrow things down a bit?
I had a lot of good use from a small cheap compressor with a 3litre tank, which was pretty cheap and allowed me to gain enough experience that I knew I wanted to keep going. I think it was around £90, it still works great, I just needed more volume. And I good all round brush for graphics would be one from the Iwata Eclipse range (approx £150 give or take). But there are also some cracking brushes from Mr Hobby / Badger / H&s that will be a little cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Jambo. You’ve come to the right place for advice and help. Having an idea of the kind of work you’d like to aim it is helpful too as that has a lot to do with what kind of equipment would be good.
The dirt cheap starter kits can add to frustration, there’s enough to learn with airbrushing without being hampered by kit. At the same time it doesn’t have to break the bank either. Have you got a rough budget in mind to help narrow things down a bit?
I had a lot of good use from a small cheap compressor with a 3litre tank, which was pretty cheap and allowed me to gain enough experience that I knew I wanted to keep going. I think it was around £90, it still works great, I just needed more volume. And I good all round brush for graphics would be one from the Iwata Eclipse range (approx £150 give or take). But there are also some cracking brushes from Mr Hobby / Badger / H&s that will be a little cheaper.

Thanks for the help SiRoxx,
I'm more than happy to spend a couple of hundred on something decent. I'd also need to get a compressor. With a lot of practice I'm hoping to be able to be able to produce detailed graphics, freehand airbrushing, typography using stencils. So you'd suggest the Iwata Eclipse range. Any particular one within the range?

Thanks again !

Thanks for the help SiRoxx,
I'm more than happy to spend a couple of hundred on something decent. I'd also need to get a compressor. With a lot of practice I'm hoping to be able to be able to produce detailed graphics, freehand airbrushing, typography using stencils. So you'd suggest the Iwata Eclipse range. Any particular one within the range?

Thanks again !

Sounds like a sensible budget, that’s a good start.
Well I have experience with the Eclipse, it was the brush I bought after being recommended on this forum. I bought an HP-CS, the gravity feed means that I can use a very small amount of paint and run the pressure lower to help with thinner lines and reducing over spray. But painting larger surfaces, the siphon feed can be helpful as you can carry more paint and change colours pretty quickly.
I’m pretty sure Coast Airbrush had a video on choosing the right airbrush for you’re needs. I’ll see if I can find it.

Welcome to the forum Jambo, where abouts on the planet are you ? Depends where you are as to where we can recommend you go to get you supplies? I personally would probably go for an iwata airbrush, an eclipse maybe, its a good workhorse and will also do detail when you have more skills, but will last you forever no matter your ability. Compressor i would go for the best you can afford, with a tank, the bigger the better. All depends where you are. Paint doesnt like the cold so you will have to be careful there and keep it warm.

Hopefully someone else will be along soon too..

Lee

Hi from a fellow Brit and welcome aboard.

Here's the thing, you probs don't want to shell out a bunch of moolah before you know if you're going to be into this. But - buying cheap is a false economy, and could stop you before you even get started.

First of all, I recommend you avoid anything with the word kit in it. The compressors are not fit for purpose. You need a tank or it won't keep up and pulse, making consistent spraying impossible, overheating from continuous running will cause it to overheat and seize. Any regular garage type compressor with a tank is good, and can be pretty cheap. Downside is noise - proper loud. Quiet ones and cheap don't go together lol.

The paints in the kits are usually pants, may not be suited to what you need, likely not lightfast, and could clog easily. Search the forum for types of paint. You only need one or two to get started, so don't have to fork out right away for a whole bunch. In fact I get away with five if I have to. Primaries, black and white, you can mix pretty much everything with that (you will also need appropriate reducer)

The brushes in kits, or cheap brushes generally are made of soft metals, poorly manufactured. You can wrangle them to work with experience, but can just make you think you can't do this when it's the brushes fault. Some never work, some work for a very short time, but even if you get lucky, are unlikely to last as parts are soft, easily damaged, cheap o rings etc.. They are a precision tool, so need to be good quality to perform. There is such a lot to learn, and balance regarding paint mixture and air pressure, that you need a reliable brush, to eliminate that concern from learning the rest.

Plus if you like it, you will almost immediately want to upgrade, to keep improving.

I have done all of the above, and apart from nearly giving up thinking I couldn't do it, the money I spent replacing cheap stuff, could have got me something better to start - hence the false economy.

You don't have to spend a fortune, but a lower end branded brush will be way better, a mid price even better and likely to last years, and better value in the long run, even if you have to save up longer to start. Before you buy, let us know what you hope to do with AB ( e.g. auto, t shirts, art, models) and what brushes you are interested in, and these guys will see you right.

Welcome to the forum from the Finger lakes, @Jambo! Lots of regional folks have already dived right in to help you along :):thumbsup:
Have fun and enjoy your stay!

Hi Jambo, another UK resident here. I only started from scratch this January, and did a ton of research on the web/tube about kit specs etc. I opted for the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution CR plus 2 in 1 (well, the wife bought it as a Christmas prezzy). This comes with 2 needles, a 0.2mm and 0.4mm and 2 size cups for around 170-ish GBP. As for the compressor, hmmmm. I started with a cheap Machine Mart Wizz Air thing, but as it was a diaphragm one I got a nice line of dots instead of the required smooth line (ie: a dot with motion... hahaa :p - pinching Miche's words there...); so I bit the bullet and bought a Bambi BB24V and not looked back since. Real quiet as in standard home Fridge loudness and with a 24ltr tank.

When I have some more pennies, then I may try to get my grubby mits on an Iwata, but for the moment I am very happy with what i have got now and know it will work well and above all, last me for years.

Tons of advice recorded on here and plenty to be given in person too.

welcome

Welcome from New Zeal;and... all the good suggestions are here so I don't need to add any more... things you don't want to skimp on... your brush and your paint! Buy the best you can afford! I for one recommend the Iwata Eclipse, great beginner brush, well priced, durable and a solid work horse that is the mainstay of plenty of us here.

I have yet to see a "kit" that has the right stuff in it. Best to get your stuff individually. Like @Squishy said.
Just say no to kits.
Youll need a solid brush and youll need a tanked compressor (generally id stay away from "airbrush compressors") and a primary paint set, everything else is knick knack add ons and niceities, cleaning supplies can be had from the dollar store.
If an eclpise spoils the budget there are good solid choices at 2/3rds the cost but not really any cheaper than that.
One thing youll need to consider with boards and helmets is how you are going to clear coat and often how you intend to prime. Will you you be doing it yourself or farming it out? Thats a consideration for your compressor choice as well as another expense in a mini gun... though there are cheap mini guns that can do the trick.
A good quality 2k HS clear and possibly some flex agent will be needed to finish your work.
Createx wicked under such a finish should have no problem with the conditions AFAIK.........

Welcome from Australia,
I'm late to the party but the gang have got your back and headed in the right direction :)

First rule is have fun !!

A good quality 2k HS clear and possibly some flex agent will be needed to finish your work.
Createx wicked under such a finish should have no problem with the conditions AFAIK.........
Wicked is great under 2k clear, pops really well, and wicked is lightest so good for outdoor stuff.
If you can get an eclipse, don't hesitate. Best buy you'll ever make.

Welcome to the forum Jambo, where abouts on the planet are you ? Depends where you are as to where we can recommend you go to get you supplies? I personally would probably go for an iwata airbrush, an eclipse maybe, its a good workhorse and will also do detail when you have more skills, but will last you forever no matter your ability. Compressor i would go for the best you can afford, with a tank, the bigger the better. All depends where you are. Paint doesnt like the cold so you will have to be careful there and keep it warm.

Hopefully someone else will be along soon too..

Lee
Thanks for the welcome. I'm living in the UK.
I've had a look about and Iwata is available here :)

Welcome from Australia,
I'm late to the party but the gang have got your back and headed in the right direction :)

First rule is have fun !!
Thanks JackEb

Back