Newbie in UK

Hi from a fellow Brit and welcome aboard.

Here's the thing, you probs don't want to shell out a bunch of moolah before you know if you're going to be into this. But - buying cheap is a false economy, and could stop you before you even get started.

First of all, I recommend you avoid anything with the word kit in it. The compressors are not fit for purpose. You need a tank or it won't keep up and pulse, making consistent spraying impossible, overheating from continuous running will cause it to overheat and seize. Any regular garage type compressor with a tank is good, and can be pretty cheap. Downside is noise - proper loud. Quiet ones and cheap don't go together lol.

The paints in the kits are usually pants, may not be suited to what you need, likely not lightfast, and could clog easily. Search the forum for types of paint. You only need one or two to get started, so don't have to fork out right away for a whole bunch. In fact I get away with five if I have to. Primaries, black and white, you can mix pretty much everything with that (you will also need appropriate reducer)

The brushes in kits, or cheap brushes generally are made of soft metals, poorly manufactured. You can wrangle them to work with experience, but can just make you think you can't do this when it's the brushes fault. Some never work, some work for a very short time, but even if you get lucky, are unlikely to last as parts are soft, easily damaged, cheap o rings etc.. They are a precision tool, so need to be good quality to perform. There is such a lot to learn, and balance regarding paint mixture and air pressure, that you need a reliable brush, to eliminate that concern from learning the rest.

Plus if you like it, you will almost immediately want to upgrade, to keep improving.

I have done all of the above, and apart from nearly giving up thinking I couldn't do it, the money I spent replacing cheap stuff, could have got me something better to start - hence the false economy.

You don't have to spend a fortune, but a lower end branded brush will be way better, a mid price even better and likely to last years, and better value in the long run, even if you have to save up longer to start. Before you buy, let us know what you hope to do with AB ( e.g. auto, t shirts, art, models) and what brushes you are interested in, and these guys will see you right.
Thanks Squishy,
A lot of insight. Very helpful :) I'm going to spend some time shopping about. Are there any online stored you've purchased from in the UK or just the usual places like eBay / Amazon etc?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi Jambo, another UK resident here. I only started from scratch this January, and did a ton of research on the web/tube about kit specs etc. I opted for the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution CR plus 2 in 1 (well, the wife bought it as a Christmas prezzy). This comes with 2 needles, a 0.2mm and 0.4mm and 2 size cups for around 170-ish GBP. As for the compressor, hmmmm. I started with a cheap Machine Mart Wizz Air thing, but as it was a diaphragm one I got a nice line of dots instead of the required smooth line (ie: a dot with motion... hahaa [emoji14] - pinching Miche's words there...); so I bit the bullet and bought a Bambi BB24V and not looked back since. Real quiet as in standard home Fridge loudness and with a 24ltr tank.

When I have some more pennies, then I may try to get my grubby mits on an Iwata, but for the moment I am very happy with what i have got now and know it will work well and above all, last me for years.

Tons of advice recorded on here and plenty to be given in person too.

welcome
Thanks V-twin :)

I have yet to see a "kit" that has the right stuff in it. Best to get your stuff individually. Like @Squishy said.
Just say no to kits.
Youll need a solid brush and youll need a tanked compressor (generally id stay away from "airbrush compressors") and a primary paint set, everything else is knick knack add ons and niceities, cleaning supplies can be had from the dollar store.
If an eclpise spoils the budget there are good solid choices at 2/3rds the cost but not really any cheaper than that.
One thing youll need to consider with boards and helmets is how you are going to clear coat and often how you intend to prime. Will you you be doing it yourself or farming it out? Thats a consideration for your compressor choice as well as another expense in a mini gun... though there are cheap mini guns that can do the trick.
A good quality 2k HS clear and possibly some flex agent will be needed to finish your work.
Createx wicked under such a finish should have no problem with the conditions AFAIK.........
Thanks Robbyrocket,
I'd like to prime the boards myself. They have quite a shine to them so I'd initially give them a sand down to remove the glossy top layer then to give them a prime coat. I was hoping I could use the airbrush to cover the board. Would this work?

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum. Have always loved the airbrushing I've seen. Having a creative arty background I would very much like to give it a go as a new hobby.

I'm looking to invest in a starters kit that I could start using as a beginner to intermediate level. As a starting point I'd like to airbrush designs on snowboards and maybe ski helmets.

Any suggestions on any full kits that would be suitable and also types of paints that can withstand up to -30 degrees freezing conditions

Any suggestions would be appreciated [emoji300]

Thanks

Thank you all for the great advice. I'm very overwhelmed with all the feedback and suggestions. It's really appreciated. I wasn't honestly expecting so much :)

I'll definately be looking at the Iwota Eclipse series. I have a lot of homework / research to do.
I'm sure I'll come back with additional questions.

Thanks !!

Thanks Robbyrocket,
I'd like to prime the boards myself. They have quite a shine to them so I'd initially give them a sand down to remove the glossy top layer then to give them a prime coat. I was hoping I could use the airbrush to cover the board. Would this work?

It would be an awful lot of work to prime or basecoat a board with an airbrush, and youd be very unlikely to get an even basecoat. Though you wont necessarily have to prime since it is a prepainted surface.
Clearcoating the finished product would be basically impossible since much of it will have fully flashed before you even get to the other end.

Last edited:
Wicked is great under 2k clear, pops really well, and wicked is lightest so good for outdoor stuff.
If you can get an eclipse, don't hesitate. Best buy you'll ever make.
I just mean the cold weather conditions, I cant say im 100% positive wicked will be perfectly fine but It is a fairly gummy paint when cured , compared to lacquers and such ,so i imagine it should be.

I just mean the cold weather conditions, I cant say im 100% positive wicked will be perfectly fine but It is a fairly gummy paint when cured , compared to lacquers and such ,so i imagine it should be.
I've been in pretty successful in cool weather, as long as it's not too much of s damp atmosphere, and it has plenty of time to go off.

Thanks Squishy,
A lot of insight. Very helpful :) I'm going to spend some time shopping about. Are there any online stored you've purchased from in the UK or just the usual places like eBay / Amazon etc?

Depends what you need, but guys I've found helpful are:-

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Iwata-Eclipse.html haven't checked the market, but these guys usually have great prices on eclipses.

http://www.b082d9.42.ekm.shop helpful guys, will adjust postage for small orders, asked for and received samples before.

http://www.smdesigns.co.uk/airbrush-paint In northern Ireland so check postage, but super helpful, great customer service, very knowledgeable about the products, and good vids for info.

https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index.php/compressors-kits.html sell big paint guns, and everything you need for auto/helmet painting, and have airbrush dept.

Back