Newbie that needs advice

P

Peter1985

Hey guys Im new to airbrushing. Been practicing every day for 3 months constantly doing Es thick to thin dagger strokes on all angels and dots. I've been using the basic wicked primary set with reducer. My airbrush is the iwata hpc plus 3mm needle. I've been trying to do skulls for basic practice but I'm having no success with shading and fading. I have experimented with different air pressures and paint ratios. So after 3 months I feel I've gotten really no where so for the people who have been airbrushing for a while what kept you motivated to keep going as I'm starting to think to my self I should just walk away. I do understand that airbrushing is an extremely hard art to master. But after doing basic tutorials on the this website and practicing all the basic techniques Ive really Gotton no where. My workspace and untensils are in excellent condition as I look after everything. Any help would be great as I really want to enjoy this art but I feel I'm a bit lost.

Ps there is only so much google and you tube research I can do. I think I've seen and reed it all

Once more my awesome powers of precognition foresee references to the introduction section :)

The most frustrating part of airbrushing is without doubt the start where you are building up the muscle memory needed for decent airbush control, this just takes practice and is something you'll need to stick out.

Going from your message it's a bit hard to give specific pointers. If you could post some pics of youmost recent work it might enable us to give some specific hints and tips.

yes please introduce yourself and give a bit of info such as what you like / want to accomplish, since we already know the brush you have but it helps us help you in the future.
Now as for the drive to continue, I have to honestly say this forum was the ticket for me. I got too know a few folks (wich I probably drove nuts) lol. I soon found out how special this group was, there are no attitudes, or putting any one down nothing but help and encouragement all the time no matter.
I look at this site as an artists forum where we basically all teach and help everyone, there is no bad or wrong questions after all that is hoe we learn.
I know at first when we see all the fantastic work that is produced can be intimidating but look at it as inspiring. Any way good luck, make your intro in the intro section and have at it and welcome!

As has been mentioned say hi in the intro section, and tell us as where you are (to recommend suppliers or possibly even to hook up with someone nearby who may be able to help) and as much info as poss about your equipment, your paint/air reducer ratio, the type of painting you'd like to do (auto motive, shirts, fine art etc) and what your goals are. People will want to welcome you, and as well as being nosy :) the more info, the more advice you will get.

After you've made 10 posts you can upload pics, and that may make it easier to see what you are struggling with in particular. Don't be shy or worried about it, no trolls here only friendly constructive advice. we've all been there. And if you haven't seen them already check out the airbrush tutors vids.

If it's any help, when I started I spent probably 6 months blundering about on my own with no clue. I didn't even know there were exercises (I was the arrogant - how hard can it be type LOL) I got so far on my own, then nearly gave up as I wasn't getting any further along. Then I grew a brain and looked online :D. 3 1/2 (or thereabouts) years down the line, and I'm still doing it. So don't give up, you just need a nudge in the right direction, and the good peeps around here will be only too happy to help.

Hey guys thanks for the comments I've introduced myself on the introduction side of the forum.

Go Google a line drawing of anything print it out and airbrush it like a coloring book. This way you can play with fades and such while not worried about the main lines.

It gets frustrating at times no matter what your skill level is. I've been at this for 2 years now and practically invented new cuss words while painting. LOL. It isn't a competition. Take your time. Practice a lot. And it'll come in due time.

I see we have the Intro confirmed yeah? :)

To your question. I see, your problem has been, in that no one has directed you to learn fades and graduations yet? You have your feel for the brush in hand. You have been doing these E's (?) Now you need to look into learning to fade. It gets interesting and become s vital from here on.

Their are several ways to achieve this useful effect. And each or any can be used to what "You" will consider useful to your goal.

some practice for you:
Take a piece of hard card, plastic sheet.. Anything with a hard "Strait" edge, with the thickness of thick paper. This will become your stencil.
Hold against your canvas/ practice board/ what ever your using. Choose a moderate pressure. Holding your stencil with one hand (or tape to surface if you need) paint a line just below the hard edge. Pay attention to the distance you hold your Brush from the surface. Keep your paint flow even throughout this exerciser also. You want to use that distance and paint flow continuously for this practice. Make only ONE pass! Repeat below, and fill your work area with this test..... what did you learn?

Now repeat this exercise. Remember keeping consistency, as above. This time. Paint directly on the edge of your stencil. What happened?

Happy with that. Lets change it up.
Keeping to above practice's. Now point the brush with an angle away from the edge of your stencil as you pull for paint. You want the paint to hit the stencils edge, But the remainder of paint will fall off and..... Fade.

You can play with this, pressure (tho one set pressure will suit you for a time yet). Trigger pull, and distance from the surface your directing the air/paint.

Done with that. Here's another:
Dots. Hold the brush above your work area at a 12 o'clock angle (strait up and down). hold the tip of your brush a Hand span away, and paint for one sec. move your hand and Repeat.

Now, keeping as above. Change your height. Lets say, half your hand span. One sec of air/paint. Move next to the painted area, and repeat. etc.
Again, Halve your distance etc, repeat. You will get to a point, where you will have to Reduce your timing, or you will create spidering of paint.
But you will learn some thing valuable.

In these exercises. Try to paint and keep your blends/ Fades consistent in colour/tone. It wont be easy so dont stress it to much.
Try adding less paint. More timing or less. Over lap, your practice dots and lines. Just mess around.

For a little more variation. Add to your stencil practice with circles. Paint theses as above. Cut and paint them as Positive AND negatives.

Done that. Now, repeat your hard edge stencil exercise. But this time. Use no stencil. Do it all free hand!
That should keep you occupied for a while :)

..Now I have some 'flash' drawing to attend too :p

Dan

Back