Newbie wanting an Iwata

CDavie

Young Tutorling
Hi there

I’m just starting out and currently have a chep airbrush. I draw with colour pencil and paint with acrylics my style is photo realism/realistic artwork.

So here is my question

I can afford to get either that Takumi eclipse or Takumi micron. I’m just worried that the micron might be more brush than I can handle for a beginner. Would it be better to go for the eclipse and at a later stage upgrade or go for the micron and learn as I go?

My wrists aren’t that great so would prefer a lighter easier to handle brush.

Thanks in advance
C

Hello CDavie, I would start with the Eclipse although it is a 0,35 mm nozzle it can pull off some amazing detail when you master the reduction and air pressure. It is more forgiving if you don’t get them right. I don’t think anybody here would recommend a Micron to beginn with. If you absolutely want a second brush for detail go with something in the hp plus series or a GSI Creos PS 270 both are 0,2 mm and superb quality. You will get more advice from other members here on the forum and they know what there talking about. I hope this is a bit helpful.

Hello CDavie, I would start with the Eclipse although it is a 0,35 mm nozzle it can pull off some amazing detail when you master the reduction and air pressure. It is more forgiving if you don’t get them right. I don’t think anybody here would recommend a Micron to beginn with. If you absolutely want a second brush for detail go with something in the hp plus series or a GSI Creos PS 270 both are 0,2 mm and superb quality. You will get more advice from other members here on the forum and they know what there talking about. I hope this is a bit helpful.
Thanks for your advice. 😀

I was looking at saving up for the Eclipse before I bought the HP-SB from 2Diverse, I don't think You will be disappointed with the Eclipse :)

Also, if You want a detail brush in the future, the Creos PS 771 and the Sotar 20/20 slim are a lot of brush for the money :)

I was looking at saving up for the Eclipse before I bought the HP-SB from 2Diverse, I don't think You will be disappointed with the Eclipse :)

Also, if You want a detail brush in the future, the Creos PS 771 and the Sotar 20/20 slim are a lot of brush for the money :)
Thanks so much for your feedback 😄. Im definitely leaning towards the eclipse and I like the look of the Sotar so I might get this one later 🤣.

i have a .18 creos and the Iwata Eclispe Takumi and I cant get any finer detail out of my .18 than i get from the Eclipse. I say get the Eclipse and save yourself a bunch of cash to use for other things your gonna want like a Mac valve and a water trap if it doesn't have one already.

I'll vote Eclipse as well.

The Eclipse has a broader utility range, and is easier to service/maintain. It can do the same fine lines as the Micron, but takes more finger control/skill to do so. It is much more forgiving when it comes to paint reduction ratios and pigment ground size/consistency compared to the Micron.

The Micron offers better trigger control at low paint volumes, and lighter, more pen-like ergonomics. It will make fine control easier when using high quality paints, but is much less tolerant of thicker or lower quality paints in general compared to the Eclipse.

Both can ultimately do each other's job, but IMO getting the Micron to do the Eclipse's job is more work than getting the Eclipse to do the Micron's job. An Eclipse is what you get if you're looking for a single good "jack of all trades", and a Micron is what you get in addition to the former if you want to go down the "specialized tools" route.

Thanks so much for the advice. This forum has been an absolute find! You all rock. I’m definitely going to get the eclipse 😬. Here’s to joining all you crazy broke airbrusher’s out there.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to give me advice. It is much appreciated ☺️

Ok if you can afford the micron go for it
The good news is you are picking the best resale value airbrush on the market
If you change your mind, the way inflation is going and you by now. You may be able to make a $20 profit,,, I'm not kidding
If your going for photo realism micron's get it done... and you have the cheaper A/B for base and fill work....

So when you really can't decide......you go and get both. From zero to toying with AAD right out the gate.

Congratulations. Can't wait to see the art that flows from them.

Well it's the 2nd time in as many weeks a post has lured me in asking whitch one should I get ;
Have some concideration for people who suffer from 🤢 ABEs
(Air Brush Envy syndrome.)
🤣😂🤣

Gerald Mendez uses micron's for his classes he teaches at his home.
In his opinion it gets newbies control faster and makes learning move at a better pace.
While yes you can get the same lines with the Eclipse it takes a lot more practice time.
When I started I bought an Eclipse and about a year later I bought my micron cm-c+, I feel I learned faster and it was much easier for me to pull dagger strokes ,
If you have the budget then buy the best. I also own https://spraygunner.com/ps771-gsi-creos-mr-airbrush-custom-0-18mm/ . Compared to the Iwata there isn't much difference, The needle and nozzle seem to hold up better then Iwata's But apples to apples they are the same.

Back