Newbie!!!

Ulfhethnar

Double Actioner
Hi everyone, I just bought the airbrush few weeks ago and I'm well frustrated already
It's hard and thinking about giving up already ‍♂️♂️♂️

Welcome home
First tell us what airbrush you bought
Next what compressor are you using
and what paint your using.

Also where on this planet you live , Climate makes a difference on how much reduction you might need.

We all have been ready to toss in the towel when we first started, But stay with it as it does get easier with practice.
Those dots, dagger stroke and fades exercises it what builds muscle memory which in turn what aids you in growing and getting better with an airbrush.
Think of it as when you learned to write first you had to practice making each letter over and over again.

Welcome home
First tell us what airbrush you bought
Next what compressor are you using
and what paint your using.

Also where on this planet you live , Climate makes a difference on how much reduction you might need.

We all have been ready to toss in the towel when we first started, But stay with it as it does get easier with practice.
Those dots, dagger stroke and fades exercises it what builds muscle memory which in turn what aids you in growing and getting better with an airbrush.
Think of it as when you learned to write first you had to practice making each letter over and over again.

First I bought chinese airbrush because my initial plan was to only spray fishing lures. But I quite enjoyed it so I thought I'll try and do more than that.
So I started to practice dots lines etc and than my neighbor gave me iwata revolution.
So mainly using that because that chinese airbrush have 0.8needle.
Compressor I use it's vevor 9l and I'm using mainly inks and also createx but they are for my fishing lures.
I live in the UK atm...

Last edited:
Welcome :)
don't be disheartened. We all had frustrating moments when we started and we all saw all those great artists on YouTube and thought it looks easy enough. It can be a big learning curve but its worth it.
The airbrush could be part of your problem. Its a generic one so it may have issues because its not as finely crafted as the brand names but they do get you started. I started with a couple of generics but quickly realised their limitations and faults.
a .8 needle is very large for an airbrush. most will use a needle that size for priming or clear coating. For doing more detailed work you should look for something around the .35 (you can go smaller but probably a little soon so early in your journey. )
I would suggest practising with the inks, you'll have less problems than with the Createx. (FYI Createx 'airbrush colors' are for textiles so I don't recommend using them if you want details). Createx are great paints but have their own learning curve with reductions/psi etc.

using a .8 brush you will need the higher psi to atomise the paint properly which also means you won't get the detail you are probably seeking

Most of the time we recommend a general. .5 or .35 brush at 25psi, createx paint reduced 1:1 and adjust the psi until its atomising correctly.

If you seriously want to keep airbrushing then we are here to help guide you :)

Welcome :)
don't be disheartened. We all had frustrating moments when we started and we all saw all those great artists on YouTube and thought it looks easy enough. It can be a big learning curve but its worth it.
The airbrush could be part of your problem. Its a generic one so it may have issues because its not as finely crafted as the brand names but they do get you started. I started with a couple of generics but quickly realised their limitations and faults.
a .8 needle is very large for an airbrush. most will use a needle that size for priming or clear coating. For doing more detailed work you should look for something around the .35 (you can go smaller but probably a little soon so early in your journey. )
I would suggest practising with the inks, you'll have less problems than with the Createx. (FYI Createx 'airbrush colors' are for textiles so I don't recommend using them if you want details). Createx are great paints but have their own learning curve with reductions/psi etc.

using a .8 brush you will need the higher psi to atomise the paint properly which also means you won't get the detail you are probably seeking

Most of the time we recommend a general. .5 or .35 brush at 25psi, createx paint reduced 1:1 and adjust the psi until its atomising correctly.

If you seriously want to keep airbrushing then we are here to help guide you :)

Yeah I'm only using that chinese 0.8 for my fishing lures and spraying metallic paints.

For anything else I use that iwata revolution.

:) the revolution is a great beginner brush.

so what are your frustrations at this point in time. ?

Welcome to the forum. Frustration is all art of the learning curve, Revolution is a good brush. my next question is What Jackie said.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you’ve got some decent kit to get going with. The Revolution line of brushes are great and fairly user friendly so that was a great choice. Is there a particular problem you’re stuck on?

Welcome aboard :) there are plenty of knowledgeable folks here willing to help out so stick with it :)

Welcome to the forum from China! Don’t give up - it’s a challenging craft, but that’s part of the process.

Back