Newby from Scotland, hello 😀🙏

Maryf

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hello from Scotland, thanks for letting me join. I’m a complete beginner, my first experiment was fun but I will need get used to so many things, paint consistency, psi, distance from the surface and trigger control. I have cheap brushes (they (a pair) were from eBay £40 from a site called Toolbox and there’s no indication who they were made by) and once I ruin them with my lack of experience 😄 I’d like to buy a good second hand H&S airbrush as I believe they are one of the best, or should I save up for a new one (will need to save for a second hand one as well 😀)? I have a Timbertech air compressor, with its own tank. I’ve been watching loads of utube videos, thanks to everyone who takes the time to create them. My first experiment didn’t go too badly, I incorporated some line work with using the thinned down paint, I’d never thought of thinning the paint to that extent before, it’s brilliant for line work. I love the effect with the airbrush and how the colours blend together and how you can cover areas so quickly.

Hello and welcome. Sounds like you have the bug already and are learning and practising the right things. Cleaning, caring and inspecting those brushes you have should stand you in good stead to spot a good secondhand brush. I have only secondhand brushes, just ask questions, ask for photos and look up parts prices to see if you are happy to spend that extra if it needs work when you get it.

Welcome Mary, Great to have You here, Be sure to post up Your work, We love pics, even if its just dots and lines :)

When You decide to upgrade, take a look at the new ultra, it has great reviews and is recommended by DaveG, Who knows a little bit about brushes :) It quite reasonable priced and should serve you well :)

Heres @DaveG 's review of the ultra

Thats a great piece of art, looks like You have great control already :) If You need any help or advice along the way just ask, We are a friendly bunch :cool:

Thats a great piece of art, looks like You have great control already :) If You need any help or advice along the way just ask, We are a friendly bunch :cool:
Thank you very much, need a lot more practice, the fine lines were brushed in, I’m not sure if they could be achieved with the airbrush eventually but I do enjoy using a brush as well 🙏

Hello and welcome. Sounds like you have the bug already and are learning and practising the right things. Cleaning, caring and inspecting those brushes you have should stand you in good stead to spot a good secondhand brush. I have only secondhand brushes, just ask questions, ask for photos and look up parts prices to see if you are happy to spend that extra if it needs work when you get it.
Thanks very much 🙏

Welcome to the forum. There are no rules in creating, so combing traditional brush with airbrush is A-OK. I use hairy brushes all the time in my work.

Thanks very much RK

Welcome Mary,
it certainly looks like you've been having fun with your new 'toy'
Painting the fine lines is perfectly acceptable, there is no rule saying you have to stick to one tool to produce artworks.
As you get more confident you will be able to create finer lines so keep practising :)

Thanks very much Jackeb, I’ve never had more fun, better late than never. I like blends and gradients and have tried various ways over the years to achieve this, I didn’t have the confidence to try it before but because of the internet and utube it has been possible at least to give it a go. I’m very pleased there’s an airbrush forum and appreciate all the information in it and everyone’s help and advice. What kind of art do you like painting?

you're in good company here, there are lots of us with the 'better late than never' theory.
What kind of art do I like painting..... anything that appeals at the time.

I like to just be free and see where things go but i also like the challenge of setting up a nice still life, that can be satisfying but most of the time I’m too impatient and just need to see what happens with lines and colours that appeal to me at the time

That painting is quite beautiful. Peaceful in a modernistic way. Delightful actually.
As Jackie said, we are not airbrush snobs. Whatever it takes for an artist to get thee results desired is perfectly fine.
As you progress with your airbrush skills you find yourself pushing the limits more and more.

That painting is quite beautiful. Peaceful in a modernistic way. Delightful actually.
As Jackie said, we are not airbrush snobs. Whatever it takes for an artist to get thee results desired is perfectly fine.
As you progress with your airbrush skills you find yourself pushing the limits more and more.
Thank you so much JB. 🙏🙏. I will need to concentrate on the air on, paint on, paint off, air off. I took the airbrush to bits today, as there was a blockage (not surprising 🤣) and I’m relieved it’s still working and didn’t loose any of the bits

Back