Next level dagger stroking

ignis

Needle-chuck Ninja
When spraying dagger strokes in the conventional way there's always the risk of involuntarily spraying a dot or fat start at the beginning of the stroke. This annoyance can be minimized as is visible in the Inbetween Panther WIP I recently started. How this dagger stroking is performed is explained in my blog. Especially artists who own the Iwata Micron CM SB will benefit from this with some cheap and easy to perform mods.

Great idea so that picture in your blog is how you hold the airbrush? I usually paint at roughly 20-25psi

That is how I hold the airbrush. I never look at the air pressure dial but it is around or below 5 psi. You have to fiddle with the pressure to get the correct spray. Once it is set right, the dagger strokes will be ultra fine. The details are in the blog entry.

the time you invest in your tests, thoughts and blog entries is really appreciated ignis....

While this is next level, it's when you go "extreme dagger stroking" that things really get crazy. Something about jumping out of a plane with your airbrush.. nutty stuff.

I added some theory and a drawing in the blog to this (towards the end) which I was unable to do earlier, because my monitor refused to present me with an image.

Dagger stroke technique.png

The airbrush on the left is held perpendicular relative to the surface and the one on the right is held at an angle. Blue indicates the more or less solid part of the spray and red stands for the overspray. Below the surface you see the top view of the paint footprint. What you notice is that in the perpendicular situation the mixture (of paint water and air) tends to escape in all directions indicated by the purple arrows, making the footprint lager. In the angled situation the mixture escapes in a narrower fashion, nearing a more unilateral flow, indicated by the green arrows. In addition the part of the mixture that hits the surface first, bounces off the surface and interferes with the part of the mixture in the spray cone that is still traveling towards the surface, causing some mini turbulence resulting in less paint reaching the surface than I suppose is the case in the perpendicular situation.

Of course this is all assumption, an attempt to figure out why it works for me (and the likes of outlandishly talented artists like Alberto Ponno).

You make some good points, clearly illustrated. It was something I was thinking about but I never worked out what was going on.

Thanks

Chris g

Back