Nice edges???

I

inevitable

I have been looking at people's works on the forum and would love to know how people manage to get a nice crisp line / outer edge without it looking like ****

Today I decided to have a play with stencils although everything ended up looking like I had cut various sections out and stuck them on a board - it all looked very separate - individually painted (which is obviously how it was done)

If I try free a line that needs to be crisp it ends up all wobbly - is this something that improves with time?

Have you had a close up look at some of the pieces you are talking about? The crisp lines normally comes when you reduce the image for display on the computer. You will never match a masked edge with a freehand one.

Airbrush Fitto does everything freehand - check out his works! I need more practice and practice until I get better I help myself with some masking tape and stencils

The easiest way to achieve a crisp line is with a stencil. Play with it for different effects... If you want a super clean edge, lay the stencil directly on the surface you're spraying. If you want a softer edge, raise the stencil slightly off the surface. The trick to using stencils effectively is make it look like you didn't use stencils. This can be achieved by doing some freehand work after using the stencil.

Crisp edges can be created freehand as well with a little thought. It's easy to do through directional spraying... meaning, angle your brush and spray in a direction away from the edge you wish to keep clean. Start out very close to the surface for the initial sharp line. Then bring the brush back some (at an angle) and blend away from your initial line.

Concerning your "wobbly" lines... This will improve as you develop more control of the brush. I see this in new students frequently. Often, they slow way down attempting to paint a perfect straight line. With that much focus and concentration at a slow speed, it's nearly impossible to paint a straight line. Try speeding up a bit. If that doesn't help, try focusing on your end point rather than the point you're actually spraying. Hopefully all of this makes some sense and helps...

As Wicked said LOL, speeds the key for me..and of course the right reduction and pressure. Also he mentions the fact that new painters tend to try to overpaint their lines by thinking control is the key. it is to some degree but nice fluid movement, with speed and concentrating on the lines end point, rather than watching the airbrush tip will help remove those wobbles, creates a natural speed increase (which reduces the oversprayed edges)..Its called leapfrogging and the same thing is taught in art school when you first start greylead work and works on the same principle..

..and as doc mentioned, crisp lines can certainally be attained by freehand...Stencils just makes it easier LOL

GL and with time you will def see an improvement..

Thanks for the tips wicked and rebel!

Will hopefully get to give that a try today / tomorrow

I'm finding that when using a stencil that you spray on the stencil itself and allow the overspray to make the line. You can also poke a finger under the stencil to 'feather' the line. However, this advice is from a n00b , lol...

I like to have a piece of torn paper by my side when im airbrushing. then when you need a sharper line the bring in the paper and find the right edge that suits. I usually move the paper with the airbrush to keep things looking more organic.

Back