NON-airbrush paints

T

thematrixiam

I have a ton of paints kicking around, mostly acrylic. I'm just curious if it's possible to use acrylic with an airbrush, specifically with mine. I'm using the iwata eclipse hp-cs with the .35mm needle.

thanks.

With a .35mm needle your airbrush will probably have no issue if the paint is diluted enough (like skim milk), it really depends on the quality and size of the pigments, more so when you have a smaller tip size.

When you use paint formulated for an airbrush you eliminate the uncertainty regarding pigment size and quality.

The only way to know is to try :)

A use of a straining device can greatly improve your odds. The mesh from a standard paint strainer can be used or an old pair of womens nylons. The nylons being finer. Proper reduction and air pressure will be tricky to get right at first. But plenty of people have done it before. I am just not one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tried it with Apple Barrel Acrylics that most use for crafts.... had to reduce it to about half a gravity feed cup to 2 drops of the paint. Plus .... a toothpick for good mixing (in the cup) . Be forewarned.... keep a lot of water near by and use as close to the amount that you need. That stuff did not want to let go of the AB. I had to shoot quite a bit of water through it then a couple of shots of cleaner...just to change colors.

Wouldn't you be better off using an acrylic thinner if you're using acrylic paint?

The craft types like Folkart Brand and Apple Barrel are water based. Only reason I tried. I got plenty of them around from my ceramics days. For me personally my skill level isn't able to progress fast enough for me to drop the $$$ on some Wicked yet.

I used that paint when I started too. ALOT of trial and error, but I ended up mixing it with windex..made it flow wayyy better than just water. I mixed half n half.

I started out using tubes of acrilics as I had some left over from one of my sons school projects. It was possible to water them down and spray them out of my 0.3mm brush but there was a lot of tip dry when using water as a diluent. Also difficult to get consistent dilution ratios as everytime the paint came out different. They were so problematic that I could not wait to switch to Wicked paints, these are so much better and I don't have to clean the airbrush as much. Having read around on the forum it seems that Wicked can be tricky to use but when you are used to mixing paint which starts like toothpaste they are a massive step forward.

I watch Lorenzo Sperlonga use Golden tube paint and mixed it in a cup until he got the reduction he like and paint with than So being I had some laying around I gave it a go.
Worked great. Reduction is the key to making paint flow great through an airbrush but finding that key is sometime more costly in time than spending the money for proper airbrush paints...Plus you have to factor in headache time too:D

Back