Noob from MN needs assistance

K

kwelna

Hello, I am looking for way to enhance some of my leather work by airbrushing the tooling. I found a older Badger 150 that I must have purchased a while back in one of my drawers. It loooks to be missign a few of the accesories ( Needles and seats) but is does look to be complete and ready to use. I do need a compressor, that being said, i am looking at one of the harbor freight units that comes with a regulator and moisture trap. I am concerned that this unit will have a pulsing air flow because it does not have a tank attached. Is this a valid concern? Is this unit any good? Is it quiet? Any help deeply appreciated.

U can attach a tank to any compressor. But without it its really excrementty because your compressor will work still without break and it could go very hot to its failure. So I advice only compressor with tank.

Odoslané z GT-I9300 pomocou Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum.

There are compressors designed to work for airbrushing without a tank, but I am not a huge fan of them, for the same reasons CaparzoSK said. Also, with Harbor Freight, it can be hit or miss with some of their stuff. I have gotten some things from them that will last for years, and other things that didn't work out of the box. You might check Coast Airbrushing or Chicago Airbrush Supply and see if they have any compressors that fit your budget. Even with a tank, some of those cheapy compressors will still overheat. I went through 4 of the little 2 gallon set ups when I first started, because the resting time for the compressor was so short, it still would overheat and start causing problems.

I moved up to a better compressor with a 6 gallon tank and have not had any issues since.

As for the pulsing, you're working at such low air pressures, the hose actually acts as a buffer and you shouldn't really notice any pulsing in the air supply.

Definitely look for a compressor with a tank. A tankless compressor will "pulse" the air pressure, making airbrushing that much more difficult. Also, having the moisture trap attached to the compressor it nearly useless. When the air is coming out of the compressor, it's at it's hottest. Hot air can hold more moisture than cooler air can, so the moisture trap won't be very effective. It's best to have your moisture trap as near the end of the air lines as possible. That way the air has a chance to cool a bit, and the trap can separate the moisture more effectively.

I would recommend a compressor with at least 1 or 2 hp, and a 3-5 gallon tank. Also, I'd avoid the "oilless" compressors. They're less efficient, noisy as hell, run hot (which puts more moisture in your lines), and tend not to last all that long. Changing a couple ounces of oil a few times a year is a small trade off, from my expirience.

I used a twin-tank compressor I got from Harbor Freight for years. I don't need a separate airbrush compressor at my new shop, so now that compressor is being used to power nail guns for my brothers construction company. There are a lot of things at Harbor Freight that really are just a waste of money, but, that compressor at least, is one that's a worthwhile investment.

To get the best performance from your airbrush, I would get a separate moisture trap and regulator, and mount them as close to the airbrush as possible. The reason for the extra regulator is that air lines will cause pressure and flow rate drops, making it very difficult to know what PSI you're actually spraying at. The regulator at the compressor may say 40 psi, but by the time it goes through a 25' air line, a moisture trap, and a few fittings, you may only be getting 30 psi to the airbrush.

I think the most important thing is to look at what you intend to use it for....if you only are going to do small items and or only use it for very short periods the small compressors would probably suit your need and budget, but remember they run on demand so every time you spray it will run. With that being said, if your intention is to paint more and more often for longer periods...if noise is not an issue a small 2gallon or larger standard tool type compressor would be best. Any compressor with a tank is a plus because it not only allows for longer spraying before it fills again and also acts as a moisture trap...just remember to open drain at end of each days use so tank wont rust out.

Yeah, what the rest of them said, yeah!

Hope everyone gave you enough input. If not let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

looks like your questions have been answered but welcome to the forum from a fellow Minnesotan

I want to thank you all for your input and suggestons. I will take it all to heart when i go top purchase my compressor and additional equiptment. I can see how this can become addicting. So much to learn and practice. I do envy all of you that can actually do this and make\create art. Maybe in time I will as well. Until then it is back to making dots and practicing my dagger lines......

thansk again

Back