noob from Southern California

D

dkipp

[h=1][FONT=&quot]Hey Everyone:[/FONT][/h] [h=1][FONT=&quot]New to the airbrushing scene, I’ve been doing some basswood cuts lately and I purchased a brush to paint some of my projects. I purchased Iwata-Medea Revolution CR Dual Action, ready to use Createx , regulator/filter, cleaner and hose (still waiting on hose).[/FONT][/h] [h=1][FONT=&quot]I’ve been trolling around the forums lately trying to absorb all this stuff, looking forward to getting started.[/FONT][/h] [h=1][FONT=&quot]In the basswood I’ve been whittling and/or scroll sawing some waves/surf type stuff, boats, fish and some signs and I figured airbrushing would put a nice look to them, rather than hand acrylic painting.[/FONT][/h] [h=1][FONT=&quot]Any tips on basswood painting? Do I need any type of primers? I planned on testing on scrap wood first, but any tips would be greatly appreciated and absorbed. [/FONT][/h] [h=1][FONT=&quot]My other question is cleaning, I’ve been reading the threads regarding cleaning (between colors and at the end of the day) and I’m still a little confused on alternatives to the actual Iwata cleaner… I’ve read ammonia free Windex, nail polish, water etc..[/FONT][/h] [h=1][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/h] [h=1][FONT=&quot]Thanks for your time and forgive me for the noob questions I will be asking in the next few weeks..[/FONT][/h]

Welcome aboard dkipp :)

sounds interesting what you are doing there... would like to see some examples of what you do...

I think the airbrushing your creations will make a big difference to the look of your project... more pro finish kinda thing... plus you've got masking and stencilling as tools to help you with intricate designs and the like...

regarding primers for would... I think most wood primers would work well... you can also get airbrush base coat paint, used as a primer (I think).

Alternatives to "proper" Iwata cleaner are some of the things you've mentioned... hot water works well if paint is not over a day dry... nail polish remover may work, I think I've seen it mentioned somewhere too, although I haven't tried it... I use lighter fluid some times soaking the front end (nozzle and the like) over night... just be careful not to strip the chrome or what ever finish is on the AB...

cheers
James

Hi dkipp, welcome aboard from the uk. Just a thought, you say you are using createx paint, this is the preferred paint of T-Shirt artists (createx also make Auto air, Createx illustration - and Wicked (an all rounder, multi surface) paints) and is mainly used for textiles. You can use it for other things, but just be aware that t-shirt guys usually work at higher air pressures than most people, so although it is ready to use, you may want to get the reducer - W100 or W500, is combatable with all createx paints - although I believe the revolution has a .5 nozzle so it should work fine. As far as cleaning goes, as long as you clean it straight away, water should be fine, just make sure you are beyond thorough. Don't be fooled by thinking your nozzle looks clean, even if you can see through, it lots of newbies (myself included when I started Lol) get caught out with this. I would say 95% of airbrush issues are due to dirty nozzles. You can get airbrush restorer for more stubborn paint, and to soak your nozzle if it needs it, I use laquer/clear thinner. What you are doing sounds cool, I think you need 10 posts before you can add pics, but please show us your stuff when you can.

Welcome to the forum from NH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

welcome to the forum I think most learn alone and continue to learn here as I must have read the forum mates not only want to share their work if not also their knowledge

I've also walked in forums but I believe in what little I have on this forum that I can tell you will not find any like this again greetings and welcome

Welcome to the forum. My only experience with basswood, comes form painting guitars, and I have always used a sandable automotive primer for those, since it lets me wet sand it down to a perfectly smooth surface. Since it sounds like your carving designs into your basswood, you probably don't want to do to much sanding, so I might go with something as simple as a basic wood sealer, followed by a base coat of whatever airbrush paint your using. For a simple rattle can primer though, most anything should work on basswood. Its a very forgiving and user friendly surface when it comes to taking paint.

If you want to get really stoked and live not to far from anahiem.. do yourself a favor and check out coast airbrush.. It is freakin unbelivable.. Tell tom or David Kurt sent you or PM me and I will try to meet you out there I dont need much of an excuse to goDSCF6994.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I found out about them last week and realized I work right up the street and plan on trying to go sometime this week, I think I'm gonna need another quick connect fitting for my compressor and sounds like a great place that's local to by supplies..

welcome from honduras,hope you can call this place home as i do!!!:triumphant:

Back