Not specifically either ... but useful.

splasha

Detail Decepticon!
Hi, All.
Have found a really useful gadget for Frisket and mask cutting.
It's called "Precision Cutter" from a company called Slice.
It's a ceramic tipped fine cutter in a pen style that gives you so much better control over cutting out your masking or frisket.
My only concern is that, although ceramic blades stay sharper longer, they do have a tendancy to be brittle and require a little more finesse when being used.
Having said that, however, I have yet to find any other faults that are immediately apparent.
It comes on a card with a cap, along with the usual warnings about sharp implements.
In this case, it's true!
Straight up, I peeled a very fine sliver off the edge of my left fingertip - just skin, mind you!
Didn't feel a thing. _ Only realised it when I came across it on the edge of the easel.
Had my stupid finger there holding down a piece of tape -Doh!
They make a range of other cutting products, some of which you might find a use for.
Check 'em out at:
www.sliceproducts.com

I wonder how long it stays sharp and if it had replacement blades. Cool product though. Thx for heads up.

I did not see any replacement blades for it, but they do make them for standard blades like a #2 Exacto knife.

I found it available on Amazon, but the reviews are all over the map on it. In general good on thin paper, but not so good on thick paper or plastic. Might wait and see on this one and see if someone gets one and what they think of it.

Spalsha can you use it to scratch with?as it stays sharper longer might be worth a shot? thanks

"The Slice Precision Cutter features a high-tech Zirconium Oxide non-replaceable Slice micro-ceramic blade"
A bit pricey. 24 years ago my signwriter boss visited the US and brought us all back a retractable blade one. But I guess a lot has been improved since then. They worked fine until you used it in a metal surface for the first time.

Spalsha can you use it to scratch with?as it stays sharper longer might be worth a shot? thanks
As it is a very small ceramic blade, I would suggest not.
I cannot see the point of the blade most times I cut, probably due to myopia, but there is an indication mark on its top edge and I use this to guide me.
I'll have a bash at it - very gently of course, and let you know.

"The Slice Precision Cutter features a high-tech Zirconium Oxide non-replaceable Slice micro-ceramic blade"
A bit pricey. 24 years ago my signwriter boss visited the US and brought us all back a retractable blade one. But I guess a lot has been improved since then. They worked fine until you used it in a metal surface for the first time.
You are correct, AndreZA, in that they're a bit more expensive than, say, your average craft knife, but if they're half as good as they appear/claim to be, then the expense is worth it.
Over here, in Oz, they retail for about $10.99AUD, which is comparable to a scalpel and blade set.
I needed something to help out with the frisket cutting, and this does it beautifully.
Less pressure on the blade=less risk of marking the work.
Sharper blade = cleaner cut.
A win / win for me, I think.

I found it available on Amazon, but the reviews are all over the map on it. In general good on thin paper, but not so good on thick paper or plastic. Might wait and see on this one and see if someone gets one and what they think of it.
Greg, as I'm using it to cut through masking film [ Frisket], it is an excellent tool for this purpose.
Anything thicker than about 1.2 mm is going to be tough for it, but given it's purpose is for Precision [reads - fine detail or intricate pattern cutting to us airbrushers] cutting, I say it does it very well.

I'm suggesting that the reason it has recieved such mixed reviews is that the users are not using it correctly or for its intended purpose.
If you use a sledge hammer to drive in thumb tacks, what sort of result are you going to get?

Last edited:
not using it correctly or for its intended purpose.

I think that is the problem with everything these days. People don't want to buy the correct tool for the job. Like I said, I had one and it only broke when I used it on a hard surface. For mask cutting on board or canvas it will last long.

When I still doing mountain biking, the people would rock up at rides with hard tail bikes to do rough downhill rides. And when they break the frame, they badmouth the brand. Same with airbrushes and I admit, I was one of them. I badmouthed and later sold a .5 gun because I could not do fine detail. Nevermind the fact that I would not have been able to do fine lines anyway even if I had Micron.

I agree totally.
You have to think about what it is you're trying to do, how best to do it AND what gear you'll need along the way.
I take the approach that when I need to be able to do something, I look at all the various ways.
I try to find the simplest, most efficient method and eliminate the rest.
It's not always the cheapest, either.
Seems to work ok for me.

I finally placed an order with Amazon tonight so I ordered one of those Precision Cutters along with some Saran graphite paper and a Com-Art Weathering Kit from CAS. I needed a new 9" cast iron skillet!

Keep in mind reviews on Amazon are tied into a manufacturer meaning that the review your reading could be on another product sold by the same company. Supposedly Amazon is working on fixing this problem.

Hmm. Looks like a viable alternative to the pesky dulling X-acto blades. For the record, i recently bought a super special X-Acto blade coated with something that was supposed to be better. It wasn't. It dulled about the same speed. This might be worth a crack.

Back