Nozzle Size for portrait

otpowell

Double Actioner
For an 8x11 portrait, could I get away with using a hp-cs .35mm for the fine details or do you usually need a finer nozzle? I'm thinking they make those nozzles smaller for things such as this.. I saw the infinity in sale for $240 and I think it can come with a .2 needle. I like that its nickel and 3x chrome plated too. My dream brush. I often get ahead of myself though. Maybe I should learn to airbrush before buying another brush.. Lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359912234.903620.jpg

I have seen smaller portraits done with a .5 tip//But it is the artist and the control the artist has that make any painting.
So again it comes to practice time and learning your paint,
The CS is a work horse of an airbrush and you can get some insane fine lines with it with practice...

I did some practice with fine lines.. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359916802.059895.jpg. I'll give it a try & some more practice Thanks Herb

DSCF1133.jpg I did this portrait of my daughter with a hp-cs, at that size (slightly smaller in fact as I made a little border). It's no where near as good or detailed as most portraits, but it is all freehand with no masking or shielding and I was pleased with it. I haven't ever used an infinity or a micron (The micron will be mine.....one day), and I know they are capable of much finer detail, but the hp-cs worked great, and pulled great lines for the hair, eyelashes etc.

I can't do photorealism, and this is nowhere near, but I think that is my lack of skill rather than the airbrush. So I guess it depends on how much fine detail you would like to achieve. I don't get the time to paint portraits as I'm usually painting bikes, and so haven't pushed the hp-cs to it's limit detail wise. I can't afford a micron right now, so I guess I'll see how far I can get with what I have. But I guess everyone uses the infinity or micron for a reason right? I want one because I think I will be able to paint better with it. It's a lot of money to spend on something if you aren't sure airbrushing is for you, but if you know you're hooked, and the kind of work you're aiming for is high detail, and you have the moolah, then I would go for it if I were you.

I think the hair is awesome on this picture....specially on her fringe.....did you say you have2 daughters squish....was this the same one both you and ran painted

I did some practice with fine lines.. View attachment 10205. I'll give it a try & some more practice Thanks Herb
the infinity comes with a .15 needle which is pretty much the smallest available.....just my 2 cents worth but I think you do bout need this brush at the moment.....its tough to geu paint flowing nicely at that size specially when you are a beginner.I don't mean to sound harsh but I believe that brush wil be a waste of your money for 6 months....if you want a decent detail brush to gerty you started get a velocity

I think the hair is awesome on this picture....specially on her fringe.....did you say you have2 daughters squish....was this the same one both you and ran painted

Thanks fezzles. There's no scratching or erasing as I wanted to see what the brush was capable of, and I think it coped great, although I know that it's not up to the level of many people here. I do have 2 daughters,this is my youngest, and the second portrait I ever did, my oldest daughter was the first, and was the one ran painted. Needless to say his blew mine away Lol!

View attachment 10220 (The micron will be mine.....one day),
Squishy I never knew you cared:D I am honored
But Josh has convinced me to give a Krome a go , He said it shoots just as soft as the micron, So after I decide on a few more items I will be placing my order for one. It is a whole lot more affordable than the micron.. Not saying I am cheap:D

Of course I care, you are just too expensive for me right now Lol!

You know I will be really interested in your opinion of the krome. I guess I have put the micron up on a bit of a pedestal (having convinced myself in my tiny brain that it is the tool and not the artist that is keeping me from where I'd like to be. I know...delusional LOL) I guess I should be more open minded. I just look at the artists I admire, and they use a micron. If anyone can convince me otherwise it would be you.

Last edited:
Of course I care, you are just too expensive for me right now Lol!

You know I will be really interested in your opinion of the chrome. I guess I have put the micron up on a bit of a pedestal (having convinced myself in my tiny brain that it is the tool and not the artist that is keeping me from where I'd like to be. I know...delusional LOL) I guess I should be more open minded. I just look at the artists I admire, and they use a micron. If anyone can convince me otherwise it would be you.

I was the same way before I got my micron. But now after using both the micron and the CS I find I can pull all most as good of fine detail with the CS.
But I have no regrets on getting the micron. I will let everyone know my opinion on the krome when I get it.

I like it when I am put on a pedestal LOL....

if i may put my ferret sence into this one with practice and certain paints at just the right air pressure and reduction the infinity WILL !!! easily do the same or better as the micron easily. and when i get a decent camera i will prove it to the forum. down side dont look at the needle wrong or it will bend.if you yell at it loud enough it wil bend seriously i have went to clean tip dry off my needle and bent it with a cotton ball its extremely fragile and until your ready to do photo realism you dont need either i wood strongly recommend a velocity or krome when you step up the velocity is the same thing and has a nice smoke Finnish to it

the infinity comes with a .15 needle which is pretty much the smallest available.....just my 2 cents worth but I think you do bout need this brush at the moment.....its tough to geu paint flowing nicely at that size specially when you are a beginner.I don't mean to sound harsh but I believe that brush wil be a waste of your money for 6 months....if you want a decent detail brush to gerty you started get a velocity

Thank you so much I definitely agree and I think I push my limits on this airbrush till I get a little better

damn predictive text, haha when you read it back so many mistakes grrrrrrrr

yer I just think it would be very difficult to learn with and you may end up putting yourself off

Back