Once I get going

T

towniceman

Hello Again
I am learning to airbrush so eventually I can custom paint the cigar box guitars I make.
I make,the bodies from cedar and oak , when painting on these surface do I need to prime the surface , what paint is best for wood I have been told wicked colors are good , and after painting what is a good product to seal the art work with .

How to you currently finish you cigar boxes?
Cory Saint Clair has a really cool video painting a skate board using AutoAir Candy paint. He does it to let the nature wood grain come through, Monochromatic Candy Portrait w/ Cory Saint Clair
As far as clear coating that is up to you . Automotive clear will work and has UV protection , Varnish will also work
So primer is not really needed on wood. But can be used. It mainly depends on how you envision the finished box looking.

Thanks Mr Micron again
I have been using original cigar boxes up until now so I've been leaving the original paper artwork on them,but have run out and figured I would make my own boxes. I have 2 Cedar boxes made ,I will check out the video it sounds good. I'm just getting started with the cigar box guitars and have only made two they still need assembly but thats easy

Thanks Mr Micron again
I have been using original cigar boxes up until now so I've been leaving the original paper artwork on them,but have run out and figured I would make my own boxes. I have 2 Cedar boxes made ,I will check out the video it sounds good. I'm just getting started with the cigar box guitars and have only made two they still need assembly but thats easy

My old boss made Fiddles and said Varnish made the sound sweeter then automotive clear coats , Not sure if that is true or just him sticking with tradition .
But as you learn try different clear coats and see what works best for you.
It mainly comes down to personnel choice on everything airbrush and paint related , What works for some does not work for all
But Being old school I try everything once and more if I like it.
Post up a pic of one of them cigar box guitars Sounds interesting.

Back