Opaque or Transparent Comart Paint

S

Snowbird1

.HI Everyone I have been looking at getting the comart paint to practice with. I just read on somone elses question that they where haveing a hard time with wicked to do dagers and strokes and so on, So they where told to use comart it is a better paint for beginners to practise with. So in long story short which one is better to use Opaque or Transparent and which one for which type of airbrushing. I am not sure which one to get. Any help would be great:untroubled:

The kit I posted in that link was a combo kit of both opaques and transparent.
The reason it is easier to learn with is because it is already thinned to a point that it can shoot through A micron .18 or .23 set up
So through a .35 set up you can drop the PSI lower and get good control.

Thank you Herb Can you tell me which one do you use for what type of application like the opaque for more or less a solid part and the opaque is more for building up a shadow or a curve something like that ????

Thank you Herb Can you tell me which one do you use for what type of application like the opaque for more or less a solid part and the opaque is more for building up a shadow or a curve something like that ????
Well The way I work transparent is usually when I am painting on a black or dark surface , I paint the subject in white and then use the transparent to give it color , Like I was showing in my response to this post http://www.airbrushforum.org/beginners-airbrush-questions/9126-pikachu-kicked-my-butt.html
But you can use the opaque as the base colors and the transparent to make it pop more like Mitch shows in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvkPDQbVl_c&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL2CBF12405FEF6E63

I recommend transparents to start. Opaques tend to have more tip dry, which as a beginner is very frustrating, as you gain experience it becomes a way of life. Comart is nice you can reduce it further with water. But straight out if the bottle is fine to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Transparents are easier to get through the gun as Wayne has mentioned the tip dry issue. But I have and use both. Certain bits I need to be opaque and others I tint with transparents.

So I get the impression that Comart paint does not need to be reduced thru my Krome. Just ordered some flesh tone set.

So I get the impression that Comart paint does not need to be reduced thru my Krome. Just ordered some flesh tone set.

It will need little to no reduction. Opaques do require a little more though.

All depends on the pressure you'll be using. I've gone as far as 20:1 reduction to work at 5-10 psi.

Ok, thought so. What do you all use to reduce the Comart? Just distilled water? And thanks for the replies Andre and Jeff.

I always mix 1:1 with com-art medium and then reduce that further. The medium is not a reducer, it's a transparent base so the distilled water is the actual reducer.

Thx Andre. Exactly what i needed to know. Never used Com-art so like to be prepared.

Back