opaque paint reducing and transparent paint question

R

Rados19

Ok, from my understanding, a transparent paint can be layered to achieve the color you desire, and the more you layer it, the darker the color will be, right? I know with kandy paints for automotive, you could layer the paint until it was almost black (or extremely dark depending on the color). Does it work that way with the Createx transparents? And if I reduce an opaque with a transparent base (like with an etac opaque yellow), will it act like a transparent paint and keep getting darker, or will it just reach the original opaque paint color? I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, and I know there are probably a lot of variables that factor in to the equation, but can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks for any help shedding some light on this.

Transparents are not as transparent as candies, but can be reduced in opacity with a trans base, likewise the same foes for an opaque, just depends on how much trans base you use. Also each brand will differ slightly and it is best to test on a small area or test panel to see if your mix will achieve the desired results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

keep in mind that urethane candies are mixed with an intercoat clear and are more like a dye where all waterbased transparents and candies are pigment base so they can muddy up .
That is the reason you can layer true candies until they look black.

ok, thanks for the info. Makes more sense now. I just need to play around more, and scour the old paint posts more.

Ok, from my understanding, a transparent paint can be layered to achieve the color you desire, and the more you layer it, the darker the color will be, right? I know with kandy paints for automotive, you could layer the paint until it was almost black (or extremely dark depending on the color). Does it work that way with the Createx transparents? And if I reduce an opaque with a transparent base (like with an etac opaque yellow), will it act like a transparent paint and keep getting darker, or will it just reach the original opaque paint color? I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, and I know there are probably a lot of variables that factor in to the equation, but can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks for any help shedding some light on this.

To answer your opaque question. If you add trans base it will just take longer to reach full opacity. Even with trans base an opaque won't get any darker than the original color.

Back