Opinions on Iwata HP-B Plus

TruggyDriver69

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Looking into purchasing a Iwata HP-B Plus and would like some feedback on this brush. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

i have been airbrushing for just about 30 years now. I have a collection of brushes that spans about a century of airbrush history with each being completely functional. Out of all of them, the one brush I have used more than any, by far - is the HP-B and it various alter egos - the HP-B+, and HP-BH. I have dozens of them. For me, they simply just do what I need them to do.

Looking into purchasing a Iwata HP-B Plus and would like some feedback on this brush. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I have an Iwata HP-BH, and have it categorised for shading amongst my six most used airbrushes. It's balanced and comfortable in the hand, despite the needle limiter. I think it gives the softest atomisation of all my brushes. I wish I had bought the B model rather than with the mac valve (which I don't use) otherwise, I can't fault it.

I have an Iwata HP-BH, and have it categorised for shading amongst my six most used airbrushes. It's balanced and comfortable in the hand, despite the needle limiter. I think it gives the softest atomisation of all my brushes. I wish I had bought the B model rather than with the mac valve (which I don't use) otherwise, I can't fault it.
I agree with the Mac valve as I don’t like them.

@TruggyDriver69 What kind of paint do you use? Consider that you'll need paint thats made for a small tip. Can you work with the small cup? From your avatar, it looks like you are using it for RC bodies. I'm not sure you've gotten feedback from any model painters yet. I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I'm all for having as many airbrushes as you can afford! Just some food for thought. If you plan on using the proper paint, it's a fine airbrush as was mentioned above.

Dominic

Currently I am using India Inks and will be using Createx Illustration colors soon. As far as the polycarbonate RC bodies I have 2 other brushes that I use for them. I only do bodies for myself now. My current brushes are: H&S Infinity CR Plus, H&S Evolution CR Plus and a Iwata HP-CS. Just looking to expanding my collection. I use solvent based paint for the RC bodies (SpazStix) and am actually able to paint certain details like drop shadows etc w/ a .2 needle if needed.

I have the old HP-B and SB and love the way they spray. I had the chance to try the plus version by a friend. It just awesome. Saving money for SB plus. 😊

Currently I am using India Inks and will be using Createx Illustration colors soon. As far as the polycarbonate RC bodies I have 2 other brushes that I use for them. I only do bodies for myself now. My current brushes are: H&S Infinity CR Plus, H&S Evolution CR Plus and a Iwata HP-CS. Just looking to expanding my collection. I use solvent based paint for the RC bodies (SpazStix) and am actually able to paint certain details like drop shadows etc w/ a .2 needle if needed.
Sounds like you're set then! For airbrushing anything on plastic models, I find small cups don't fit my style. I'm just not neat enough and I prefer hanging my finger over the side of the trigger . That's just me. I have an SB (early side feed) with medium cup but mostly use my sbs and grex .3 w fan cap. Plus, the big cup and covers help a little to keep the water base paint from thickening, since I'm in hot dry climate. I'm painting small, ho scale slot car bodies btw. For comfort and out of the box performance, you won't go wrong with the HP-B. I'd just make sure it'll really fits your needs. Good luck with your choice!

Dominic

Sounds like you're set then! For airbrushing anything on plastic models, I find small cups don't fit my style. I'm just not neat enough and I prefer hanging my finger over the side of the trigger . That's just me. I have an SB (early side feed) with medium cup but mostly use my sbs and grex .3 w fan cap. Plus, the big cup and covers help a little to keep the water base paint from thickening, since I'm in hot dry climate. I'm painting small, ho scale slot car bodies btw. For comfort and out of the box performance, you won't go wrong with the HP-B. I'd just make sure it'll really fits your needs. Good luck with your choice!

Dominic
lol I ended up going a slightly different direction than the HP-B. I didn’t mean to but it just kinda happened. The HP-B is still on my list though.

That's really funny, I think I would be inclined to do the same. I'm sure you won't regret it... but yeah, I understand, it's just one of those things. The variant would be to buy them both I guess.

Back