Original introduction version Wold A-2

DaveG

Airbush Analyst
I've been trying hard to behave, but when I saw this one on Ebay, I lost control... It was the decal on the case that got most of my attention. I had not seen one before on a surviving Wold case. The brush too had a few oddities that had me wondering... I was not going to bid, and when I did, I honestly thought that the brush may go for higher (even though it was not an inexpensive bid).

While I apologize for winning, I am also glad I did. The brush is exactly the kind of thing I love to find. It is a Wold A-2. Now, I have quite a few A-2's, but this one is like none of the others. I am guessing this is the configuration the brush was originally introduced in. It is larger diameter than any other A-2 I have, and the head assemblies are completely different, too. Later versions use the same body as the A-1 along with head pieces are compatible between the two models. This one is completely unique.

There is are patent dates molded into the handle, the latest being 1918 (earliest this brush could have been produced), and I have an A-2 that came with a dated test sheet from 1943. The serial number of the dated one is higher than this A-2, so the between dates have to be 1918-1943. I would guess mid to late 1920's based on a few other observations - including some of the case details - when compared against other known examples.

It was super nerve wracking to clean this case - I was so afraid of damaging the decal.
DSC_3762.jpgDSC_3764.jpg

The brush required a decent cleaning, but nothing too drastic. There was what I believe was dried ink in the nozzle, needle channel in the body, and feed tube of the color cup.
DSC_3766.jpg

Both A-2 models, the front one is dated to Oct of 1943. It features a slimmer body, and much smaller head assembly compared to what I think is an original format A-2.
DSC_3771.jpg

Nice to see the Ol' girl will still get the job done. I think I can improve the pattern a little, but I would consider this one a survivor, for sure.
DSC_3774.jpg

What a gorgeous brush and case. Congrats Dave. I almost bid on this myself to try and get my first Wold brush but I restrained myself. Glad it went to a good home on here. Thanks for sharing with us.

Lovely brush. I am glad it got saved. It looks chunky compared to the other A2 but maybe thats an illusion when you look at the size compared to the air fittings.

The case is lovely also. It would be quite something to see cases made with graphics like that today.

to try and get my first Wold brush
There was a nice looking one listed as an A-2, but was actually an A-2N (had both side feed and siphon feed ports). I am pretty sure it had a fair asking price, but it is gone now... I thought about buying that one, too - but I already have a few A-2N's ;) . Like I said, trying to behave.

It looks chunky compared to the other A2
The black handled one is chunky compared to the other - and feels it in hand. It has a larger diameter body/handle, and head pieces. The front one is basically the same size as the Thayer Chandler Model A (handle it thicker, though).

There was a nice looking one listed as an A-2, but was actually an A-2N (had both side feed and siphon feed ports). I am pretty sure it had a fair asking price, but it is gone now... I thought about buying that one, too - but I already have a few A-2N's ;) . Like I said, trying to behave.

The black handled one is chunky compared to the other - and feels it in hand. It has a larger diameter body/handle, and head pieces. The front one is basically the same size as the Thayer Chandler Model A (handle it thicker, though).
Pretty sure I saw that one also, but I resisted that also. See, I’m so good, that’s two airbrushes I didn’t buy! I probably should reward myself with something for such good behavior! Wonder what I will choose?!

Anyway, I’m just looking at that Wold case again, it looks so cool, seriously great score. It’s very American. I mean that absolutely positively of course, I wish there was stuff like that here but I don’t think you’d ever find the like here. Such a nice highlight for your collection.

WHY?
Doesn't that make 2 cases like that? The other one isn't as nice though... :rolleyes:
Bob, have you seen an A-2 like this one? First for me - the body is a full 1/2 inch diameter, so larger than the A-1. The nozzle is also not like any other I have seen. I do have a few that do screw right into the body, but they are different than this one. The head does have an adjustable regulator that fits over the quit long taper of the nozzle.

Wold A2 Nozzle.jpg

I almost suspect that this brush was originally introduced to go up against the Thayer Chandler Model B, but shrunk in stature to make it easier to produce. As it is pictured, all of the head pieces are unique to the build. The trigger, needle chucking guide and spring retainer are also unique in size...

The one I have in that case is totally different. The head is 3 pieces and the nozzle looks to be 2 pieces soldered together. The cup is similar but the tube that goes into the body is stepped. The handle is "yellow" and is also stepped at the back. It's well used, the body and the cup are very bassy(?).
I just fot a new Nikon D-300s body and I'll try to get some pix this afternoon.

The one I have in that case is totally different. The head is 3 pieces and the nozzle looks to be 2 pieces soldered together. The cup is similar but the tube that goes into the body is stepped. The handle is "yellow" and is also stepped at the back. It's well used, the body and the cup are very bassy(?).
I just fot a new Nikon D-300s body and I'll try to get some pix this afternoon.
I use a Nikon D-3300 ;)

@tatocorvette will want to get in on this part of the conversation ;) (you too should chat - much in common) - when i started looking for a digital camera, I was looking at much more expensive bodies. Someone I trust recommended the d3300 to me, and I could not be more pleased with the results it has given me over the years. Been a great, little camera.

Back