Overdoing it, always

kjukju

pretty old tutorling
Hi,
i really need some help with this:
on every piece i started , i found me overdoing it with colour (mainly black).
I try to force me doing small areas by what i see, but since i'm not very patient sooner or late
i take a look at the whole picture and just want o make it "looking right". This is the point
when i always mess up. doing a litte mor here a little more there - as long as all went black;)
I hope you understand what i mean.
I know i should be more patient and do one layer after the other, but usually its running out of control.
Are there any tips or tricks to force me doing slow?
Any comment is welcome, because i really want to improve.
Thanks all

Snap! I have the very same problem mate!
I will tell you the answer.
DISCIPLINE yep, plain and simple, give your self a good talking too! You KNOW the problem.
Do a bit then leave it - walk away, have a fag, have a coffee, eat a sweet anything to just distract you for a moment then look at it again. yep that's good or mmmm just a touch more :)

Oddball has you covered, just walk away or even leave it over night an look at it again in the morning, gotta learn paitence and displine, i still have to fully learn this myself but im getting there.

As stated it's down to dicipline. You'll need to learn to work in a different way and that's not easy.

Just about everyone (including myself) I've ever had around for some lessons had this problem and there is a trick to forcing yourself to work slower that at the same time teaches you to think about what you are doing and creates a bit of a different mind set while you are working (and generaly greatly improves the result)

Most people I see painting just start painting and when I stop them and ask them what they are doing they almost alway's have to think about it. What I try to drill into students is that they always ask themselves a couple of questions before they start aplying paint.

-What am I about to do
-How am I going to do it
-What do I want to achieve by doing this (how does the result need to look)

If one does this for every single stroke it bcomes nearly impossible to do stuff wrong. It is anoying to do at first but the point is to make it something one does automaticly (like you needed to train the muscle memory for your airbrush). You'll get at a point when you have asked and answered the above questions without thinking about it.

A little (and verry anoying :p) trick I sometimes use is to put a 10 second repeat on an alarmclock to force people to stop and think.

At first this method will slow one down but it is realy worth it to try to make it something one does automaticly.

Thank you guys. i'll try to keep control of myself.
"Thinking first" sounds good - but may be very hard to follow.
in future I will try to walk aveay as soon as i think i should make it looking better;))
This will be hard, too, as i allways want to see results soon, too soon as it went out.

I'm one of those that turn the brain off..As mentioned though its not something you can do in the early days of painting as the above methods works much better, taking ya time, understanding those layers and what they need to achieve, creeping up on things etc etc, I do this mainly through reduction as a highly reduced paint will only go so dark....But these days for me I just paint. I turn that switch of in my head that allows my brain to think, pump up some tunes, get myself half pissed and just paint. For me perfection has no place in art, don't try to create it, utilize your mistakes as features and most, most, most importantly..have fun as otherwise whats the point..If you enjoy what your doing, you will succeed much more..But yes there are lessons to learn first, muscle memory I'm sure you have heard mentioned a lot..Once that muscle memory is there many artists turn off that brain which likely will get involved in muscle memory and stuff it up for ya LOL..Keep ticking away at it :)

If you want I can send my kid's over to bug you every five seconds when your painting like they do too me. They are brutally honest as well, so a honest critique is no problem either.

LOL, have those issues of my own so you can keep yours ;), but they are good for critique hahaha

Build it up. After each layer the painting should be complete but just very faint.

Or use a value finder. If you can identify your values, you should not overdo it.

Back