Paasche VISION & TALON

I currently use Iwatas, and have just purchased a Talon. I'm looking to see if it can be a viable replacement for my HP-C. This is not because I have an issue with how the iwatas perform, as much as the cost of replacement parts (fluid nozzles at $37 and needles at $10). My Iwata takes an unexpected trip to the floor and I am looking at nearly $50 to rebuild it, as opposed to around $17 for the Talon. So I am hoping for the best. Also, I have used paasche VL's for bigger projects for years. As long as you seal the aircap with teflon tape, it sprays like a champ.

i ordered the Olympos from Japan the other day.
The air spring in the Olympos brushes is a bit stiff from the factory. I've replaced all of my air springs in Iwata and Olympos brushes with either Zsolt or Blair Soft Springs. They give so much less finger fatigue when painting for longer periods of time.

I'll put that in the spreadsheet, you know, the one labeled WTF! Thanx.

I currently use Iwatas, and have just purchased a Talon. I'm looking to see if it can be a viable replacement for my HP-C. This is not because I have an issue with how the iwatas perform, as much as the cost of replacement parts (fluid nozzles at $37 and needles at $10). My Iwata takes an unexpected trip to the floor and I am looking at nearly $50 to rebuild it, as opposed to around $17 for the Talon. So I am hoping for the best. Also, I have used paasche VL's for bigger projects for years. As long as you seal the aircap with teflon tape, it sprays like a champ.

If you could get HP-C performance at the price of a Talon they would have. There's a reason why the HP-C was a game changer 50 years ago. I would rate Talon equivalent to an Iwata Revolution in performance.

If you could get HP-C performance at the price of a Talon they would have. There's a reason why the HP-C was a game changer 50 years ago. I would rate Talon equivalent to an Iwata Revolution in performance.
Thanks for the info. I am going to be firing the Talon up this weekend to see how it sprays. I do like how it feels in my hand (a lot like my HP-C), but the real test will be how it performs. I am hoping for the best.

Also, has anyone heard of a new airbrush by Paasche called the Raptor? And has anyone used one? Let me know.

Thanks for the info. I am going to be firing the Talon up this weekend to see how it sprays. I do like how it feels in my hand (a lot like my HP-C), but the real test will be how it performs. I am hoping for the best.

I have a Talon and the biggest thing to make it spray decent is to not over tighten the Air cap. I find it sprays better if you just tighten to the o-ring and stop. Try different tightnesses (if thats a word...lol) and find the g-spot...lol good luck and have fun
Cheers

I have a Talon and the biggest thing to make it spray decent is to not over tighten the Air cap. I find it sprays better if you just tighten to the o-ring and stop. Try different tightnesses (if thats a word...lol) and find the g-spot...lol good luck and have fun
Cheers
Thank you for the Talon information. I worked with the Talon for a few hours yesterday, and think it is a fine airbrush. It just doesn't behave the same as my iwatas, and for freehand drawing, I always seem to go back to my HP-B. I called Coast and Chicago Airbrush, and they both carry parts for my rather old airbrushes (purchased my 1st Iwata HP-B in 1982). So I will probably stay with them. Although I must confess to being a little intrigued by the Mojo III. I wish I could try one out without paying for it first.

Thank you for the Talon information. I worked with the Talon for a few hours yesterday, and think it is a fine airbrush. It just doesn't behave the same as my iwatas, and for freehand drawing, I always seem to go back to my HP-B. I called Coast and Chicago Airbrush, and they both carry parts for my rather old airbrushes (purchased my 1st Iwata HP-B in 1982). So I will probably stay with them. Although I must confess to being a little intrigued by the Mojo III. I wish I could try one out without paying for it first.

I may put my Mojo III up for sale, pretty cheap. I liked it for a bit. When it works well, it's gives fine detail and control. When it doesn't work, I feel like throwing it across the room.
I'll stick with my Iwata and H&S brushes.

I may put my Mojo III up for sale, pretty cheap. I liked it for a bit. When it works well, it's gives fine detail and control. When it doesn't work, I feel like throwing it across the room.
I'll stick with my Iwata and H&S brushes.
That was my experience with the Talon. When it was spraying it produced a good spray pattern, but it was tough to get the feel of it. My HP-B just worked.

That was my experience with the Talon. When it was spraying it produced a good spray pattern, but it was tough to get the feel of it. My HP-B just worked.
Exactly, my Iwata and H&S brushes are rock solid.

I looked at the mojo, vision ,talon etc ,but after reading so many negatives regarding the problem of obtaining consistent spraying results ,I got H&S. Brushes instead and am very happy with them .

I looked at the mojo, vision ,talon etc ,but after reading so many negatives regarding the problem of obtaining consistent spraying results ,I got H&S. Brushes instead and am very happy with them .
I was hoping to find a less expensive replacement for my iwatas, but after using the Talon and finding they still make parts for my 30 year old iwatas, I'll be sticking with them.

I was hoping to find a less expensive replacement for my iwatas, but after using the Talon and finding they still make parts for my 30 year old iwatas, I'll be sticking with them.
that is just it when you are used to Iwata's you will find there is no cheap replacement for them , the H&S is cheaper but I for one dont like the H&S at all

that is just it when you are used to Iwata's you will find there is no cheap replacement for them , the H&S is cheaper but I for one dont like the H&S at all
They do not carry H&S at any of the local art stores, and I'm always wary of buying an airbrush I can't get parts for in town. Of course, no body seems to be stocking parts for the Talon either. I think fate is trying to tell me something. Like "quit spending your time looking at a new airbrush and paint with the ones you have".

They do not carry H&S at any of the local art stores, and I'm always wary of buying an airbrush I can't get parts for in town. Of course, no body seems to be stocking parts for the Talon either. I think fate is trying to tell me something. Like "quit spending your time looking at a new airbrush and paint with the ones you have".

I don't worry about getting anything local. I just keep spare needles and nozzles on hand for all my brushes. If i use a spare, i just order a spare at either Coast Or Chicago Airbrush. To offset shipping costs, I just end up ordering other stuff I will need soon.
Anyway, for me personally, If a nozzle flares, I want to replace it immediately. Plus, nozzles and needles always seem to bend/break after hours or when the art store is closed.

I used a Badger Krome for a year or so now and I have never gotten it to spray consistently, when it works it works great, it's just hit and miss on performance, their "self centering nozzle technology" is just a sales tool, you have to look at it under magnification to make sure it is strait out of the air cap, and then at those tolerances it won't be exact, now this may be an isolated incident as I know a few people here use and love their Kromes, (Meeshell loves hers!).
But I did get a Iwata HPCS and out of the box, reliable and stable results every time, if you've mastered reduction then you'll get the same results without having to screw with it every time.
I am attracted the the Talon also,mgreat looking brush, just scared off it by the horror stories I have heard.

I used a Badger Krome for a year or so now and I have never gotten it to spray consistently, when it works it works great, it's just hit and miss on performance, their "self centering nozzle technology" is just a sales tool, you have to look at it under magnification to make sure it is strait out of the air cap, and then at those tolerances it won't be exact, now this may be an isolated incident as I know a few people here use and love their Kromes, (Meeshell loves hers!).
But I did get a Iwata HPCS and out of the box, reliable and stable results every time, if you've mastered reduction then you'll get the same results without having to screw with it every time.
I am attracted the the Talon also,mgreat looking brush, just scared off it by the horror stories I have heard.

The HP-CS has a self centering nozzle also. I hated the tiny nozzle on the Krome, almost lost the damn thing multiple times . I had to seal the hold down ring and air cap with beeswax to keep the brush spraying consistently. It did work great when it was sealed properly.

The HP-CS has a self centering nozzle also. I hated the tiny nozzle on the Krome, almost lost the damn thing multiple times . I had to seal the hold down ring and air cap with beeswax to keep the brush spraying consistently. It did work great when it was sealed properly.
Yeah, I hate tiny fluid nozzles too. I have carpet in my studio, and if one of them falls to the floor its gone. Seriously thinking of putting in a floor.

Back