paasche vl airbrush GARBAGE

B

BUGSYMONTANA

HASNT BEEN 2 WEEKS AND THIS AIRBRUSH IN MY MIND IS ((((JUNK!!!))) i was going to order the talon but man u know what im tired of having to buy these airbrushes only to be let down with the lack of performance you get from them!!

It's the knight, not the sword, lol!!! What is going wrong to make it junk? I have always heard good things about the vl, and seen some unbelievable work come from them. What are the problems your having?

Josh

HASNT BEEN 2 WEEKS AND THIS AIRBRUSH IN MY MIND IS ((((JUNK!!!))) i was going to order the talon but man u know what im tired of having to buy these airbrushes only to be let down with the lack of performance you get from them!!
get a iwata ecclipse, great all purpose airbrush and wont let you down, dont know much bout pasche, but iwata is my brand and will probably never change unless thor design some kind of airbrush from the gods, dont give up my friend, you will find the rite tool in time

I own a 30+ year old VL and it shoots great, But you have to have the right needle set up in it with the right reduction in order for any airbrush to work well.
But maybe bottom feed just is not for you. if you need super affordable Iwata Neo, up from that is the Eclipse CS, both gravity feed and both use a .35 needle set up.
But tell us what your vl is doing and maybe we can help you out.

I feel for ya. I still like my VL, but it does get super finicky about paint and air pressure. When it was "on" I had no complaints, but when it was off, I could spend an hour just trying to get things right. I just got a Badger Krome and haven't looked back since.... Its like comparing apples and oranges though. The smallest nozzle my VL came with is .5 and the siphon feed could make it a little slow to respond when you're trying to get those fine details, but when it comes to laying paint on a tshirt, I think the VL is going to be my main weapon there. For just about everything else, the tiny .2 nozzle in the Krome and the smooth trigger and quick response is going to make that brush my best friend. Right tool for the right job.

I will say this about the VL... I got it years ago to paint guitars and I put that brush through hell and back, never thinking I'd actually be trying to airbrush pictures or anything... and here it is today, in 100% working order. It might not be the right tool for what you want to do, but it is a workhorse. Hope you find the brush that fits ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a used VL from a friend, was my first AB.
I had a lot of problems with it, it will only spray with the .5 needle and tip, the others just wont work at all.
I emailed Paasche about the packing nut problems I was having and they mailed me 3 new ones internationally at no charge, so their service is excellent even if you don't like their airbrushes.
I did have fun with it at times but bought a Devilbiss Dagr and haven't really used the Paasche since.
The Dagr is a great AB and compared to the VL its like going from crayons to felt pens.
I just got a Badger Krome but its one of the defective ones and Badger is sending me a replacement so I cant tell you much about Badger airbrushes other than the service KenBadger offered me is top notch.
Just do some research reading online to find what appeals to you and spend 150 bucks or more on a quality AB and you will be much happier.
Mega.

Just goes to show.....I have a dagr...buried in a box in the deepest darkest depths of a wardrobe. Had nothing but trouble with it, sent back twice, came back with poorly made and damaged parts twice! Replaced all the parts so many times that was basically a totally different brush, even though I hadn't even really got to use it. Basically threw good money after bad as I didn't want to believe that my first "real" airbrush was crap. Yet others love the dagr - we were just never meant to be. Did get some money back, but spent that and more just trying to get it to work!

Finally saw the light and got an iwata eclipse, and haven't looked back. Don't get discouraged and waste money like I did. Fate has decided you and that VL are incompatable, so maybe time to cut that cord and try something else. Heard great things about the Krome (have you entered the comp, you could win one!), but I chose the eclipse because of it's all round versatility. It's great for super fine detail (although I haven't tried a micron so can't compare there), and does everything it's asked. I really don't think you could go wrong, but definately read some reviews, shop around and find a brush that will suit your needs.

I think the point is that recent generations of Paasche (from approximately after the turn of the century) are not of the quality they were before that time. The new guns in some cases still have the same type names, but they feel lighter and their performance is worse. I owned an old V#1 that was stolen on an airbrush fair where I was demonstrating. This gun performed exceptionally well and I loved to spray with it. Recently I bought a new generation V#1 that did not have the adjusting wheel in front of the trigger. Straight out of the box the V#1's needle was stuck. After careful examination it appeared that the stub of the paint cup was too long and blocked the needle. I grinded off one mm and the needle movement was no longer blocked by the stub, but still not smooth. Looking at the gun under the microscope unveiled that the air cap, nozzle and needle rocker were not exactly in one line - a basic requirement for any airbrush. I was disappointed with this flaw and was left to conclude that Paasche quality has deteriorated compared to their older products.

The decrease of quality is in my opinion the result of bad management that enforces budget costs in the wrong departments. Product quality remains the indisputable number one requirement for any company that intends to stay in business. I regret to say that this is an issue not understood in the management level at Paasche at this point. Production machinery has to be maintained seriously and meticulously, product choice materials are hugely important, as is quality control. If these matters are not addressed properly a company is going to have a swiftly increasing number of responses as is posted in this thread.

I will cherish my old Paasche Turbo that still stems from the period in which Paasche took the above mentioned matters in a serious way, worthy of a good business. The gun is unique in its approach and performs exceptionally well. It is with great regret that I see such a reputable company go down the drain as a result of incompetent management that seems to persist in its flawed choices. I feel sorry for the production employees who, I am sure do their utmost, and must make a living out of their professional efforts. If things go bad, they will have to look hard for an other job, while the managers just move on to their next project. This is typical of today's world where those who are in charge, can not be held accountable for their business performance and as a consequence those who actually do the work end up with nothing.

My first AB is an Eclipse HP CS and I loved it. I recently bought the Paasche VL to use for wider and larger coverage. I do not intend to use it for details or anything. My main requirement is to have a reasonably cheaper AB that will perform to my satisfaction. I did not have any high expectations and maybe that is why I have not been disappointed. I firmly believe in the 'right tool for the right job' statement.

Lol, I think bugsymontana is pretty adamant that the vl is garbage since he has not come back to this thread, lol!! Hell it may be junk?

Josh

Lol Seamonkey, maybe he just needs to chillax because he:- smashed it to smithereens in a fit of uncontrollable rage, or stabbed it into a wall Psycho style, or is slowly dissolving it in a vat of acid, or maybe he ate it with some faver beans and a nice chianti, or flattened it with a steam roller, or strapped it to a rocket and shot it at a brick wall, or filled the cup with black powder and exploded it, or taken it back to the manufacturer and inserted into an orifice of the smugest person there, or put it into a crucible and smelted it, or drawn a pentagram on the ground, sacrificed a chicken and sent it to the very bowels of hell!

Or maybe he's not a mental like me, and he just can't be arsed with it anymore. Hope he's got something else to paint with and hasn't given up altogether!

Ill buy it for 20 bucks, its a ba brush he :D.

But seriously, its called practise, i sucked switching from chinese to my iawata, but after a month i rocked that monster.

U have to learn to love ur sword, then it'll love u.

Lol Seamonkey, maybe he just needs to chillax because he:- smashed it to smithereens in a fit of uncontrollable rage, or stabbed it into a wall Psycho style, or is slowly dissolving it in a vat of acid, or maybe he ate it with some faver beans and a nice chianti, or flattened it with a steam roller, or strapped it to a rocket and shot it at a brick wall, or filled the cup with black powder and exploded it, or taken it back to the manufacturer and inserted into an orifice of the smugest person there, or put it into a crucible and smelted it, or drawn a pentagram on the ground, sacrificed a chicken and sent it to the very bowels of hell!

Or maybe he's not a mental like me, and he just can't be arsed with it anymore. Hope he's got something else to paint with and hasn't given up altogether!

squish, i hope to god he didnt do any or all that you stated, especially quit all together!!

Ill buy it for 20 bucks, its a ba brush he :D.

But seriously, its called practise, i sucked switching from chinese to my iawata, but after a month i rocked that monster.

U have to learn to love ur sword, then it'll love u.

lol, i agree with both of you!
rick your right, its a total different animal when you train your finger to adjust for all the bad craftsmanship with crap chinese, it will feel wrong and odd when you get a good one in your hands for the first time.

i just hope he didnt read the comment i made about it being the Knight and not the sword and get mad!! i know it comes out like being a smart ass but its true. i was told this at a early age playing baseball, i would go to bat with a different bat in my hands evry time and would say i dint like it when i didnt get a hit with it. my buddy told me its not the sword, its the swordsman the he told me what i was doing wrong and i worked on it, next thing i know i had the best batting average on the team. its all how you go about your learning process. just read my signature under this post. even luke skywalker had to go to yoda and get back to the basics before he learned the advanced stuff to become a jedi!! and YES a FINE HAIR LINE IS ADVANCED JEDI LIKE TECHNIQUE!!

squish, i hope to god he didnt do any or all that you stated, especially quit all together!!

lol, i agree with both of you!
rick your right, its a total different animal when you train your finger to adjust for all the bad craftsmanship with crap chinese, it will feel wrong and odd when you get a good one in your hands for the first time.

i just hope he didnt read the comment i made about it being the Knight and not the sword and get mad!! i know it comes out like being a smart ass but its true. i was told this at a early age playing baseball, i would go to bat with a different bat in my hands evry time and would say i dint like it when i didnt get a hit with it. my buddy told me its not the sword, its the swordsman the he told me what i was doing wrong and i worked on it, next thing i know i had the best batting average on the team. its all how you go about your learning process. just read my signature under this post. even luke skywalker had to go to yoda and get back to the basics before he learned the advanced stuff to become a jedi!! and YES a FINE HAIR LINE IS ADVANCED JEDI LIKE TECHNIQUE!!

About that last part, were ur a yedi, did u eat the wrong mushrooms? U seem very erm... inspired.

I am not crazy about the VL, but I learned on them back in the 80s and they can be very good brushes. I now use Iwata, but I am experienced and I know the difference really lies in the hand of the user than the airbrush itself. I can make the same stuff with either one, the Iwata is just easier to use and more comfortable to me. There is nothing I can do with an Iwata that I cannot also do with a VL, though, or a Badger Crecendo for that matter. It all boils down to personal preference, lots of old school guys I work with still use nothing but VLs cause they feel most comfortable with them. But I *do* believe that the Iwata Eclipse is superior as far as ease of use and having less general problems. It's design is more advanced, the VL has been the same for ever, but it's a standard workhorse.

About that last part, were ur a yedi, did u eat the wrong mushrooms? U seem very erm... inspired.

not sure i quit under stand your reply but ill answer the way i think your saying.......
first, if your asking if im a jedi then no, im still learning the same as the mewbies, i may pick things up quicker than some but im no jedi with the airbrush, lol.
second i have not had a shroom in a long while, but damn would that make airbrushing fun!!! lol!!
third, i wasnt inspired i was just trying to say i didnt mean the comment as a insult is alll. also i have seen multiple newbie posts this week so stinking worried about the fine kine and how their airbrush cant do it. it is something that i cant do at will and a ton of pros have a hard time getting consistantly. any brush with a .35 nozzle and lower says it can pull hair lines, but only with an experianced artist behind it but the companys wont put that in their sales picth because it would hurt their sales. im sure most people knew of jamie rodriguez(RIP), watch his vids and you will see him paint some off his tshirts and he would pull some of the finest most perfect lines with a .5 tip!! he has 20 yrs experiance and god knows how much art than man put out in his short life, but it all boils down to the fact its all in the artists control and i hate when someone gets down on their self or airbrush cause they cant do it!!! to be honest in my experiance the "HAIR LINE" makes up less than 10% of airbrushing so its not that crazy if you cant do it, join the party!!:) unless your main gaol is to do lettering on tshirts all the time you can work around the fine line rite off the bat.

BUGSYMONTANA!!!! WHERE ARE YOU!? Have you forsaken us? Hope you're still painting away mate. Not all airbrushes are sent to try us, you'll find your light sabre and become a master if you stay in the light. Don't go to the dark side!!!!

I have a paasche vl and it works out for me pretty good now that I ha e gotten use to it

sorry guys i been so busy practicing i forgot i even started this thread but heres why THIS PAASCHE VL IS A PIECE OF MOTHERFAT FACES SUGAR HONEY ICE TEA
1. i have to use so much more force or initially start to push the button down to start the whole double action sequence (simply pushing down on the trigger) 2.to push down and pull back to get the smallest iddy biddy amount it feels like the gun is real stick paasche vl is a fairly easy airbrush to break down compared to my harbor freights gun so cleaning it is no biggie...also i dont really care for the way the tip is designed and its constantly leaking air out the side where u screw on top of the tip tried to use teflon tape didnt help dont wanna use tread lock because its a part thats contantly being taken a part to be cleaned the kit came with three needs vl-1 vl-3 and vl-5 being that the airbrush itself is so thick it feels like im holding on to a thick crayon
and the paint always come out different to the point i have a notebook of everytime i use paint with reducer on whatever airpressure i set my compressor on to use....been documenting since the first time i had to clean it...and let me tell u what works on monday doesnt work on tuesday its a constant headache regardless of what tip i use what needle i use i document it to the point i feel like im in chemistry class again (going to school for nursing) when i reduce my CREATEX or SPECTRA airbrush paint

somebody earlier said its not the sword its the knight
you right i dont need a konan sword i need a KATANA light nimble agile so i can be swift with my cuts and slashes (hows that for an analogy)

its sadd that my 17.00 HARBOR FREIGHT airbrush give me better results that this PIECE OF CRAP PAASCHE VL JUNK maybe i should try there talon...but than again do i really wanna get jammed up with another piece of junk EVERYBODY USING IWATA OOOOKAY tomorrow so will i one thing about me is if it works for everybody else it will work for me and if it dont than i know its me not the gun.... i need 2 guns one for fine line detail and one for overall needs i mainly do helmets and motorcycles just started doing t-shirts

also how is it that i get better results from a freaking harbor freights 18 dollar airbrush gun compared to this 120 dollar airbrush kit i got from paasche?? smmfh!!! NEVER AGAIN OLE THICK PIECE OF CRAYON CRAP!!!

Back