Packing screw

Franc Kaiser

Air-Valve Autobot!
i always had the impression that the packing screw of my ps-270 was loose. I do a lot of backflushing, and so get water or paint into the air valve area, which makes the trigger stick (delayed stop of air spray).

I tightened the screw to a reasonable amount, but now can’t get the needle back in. When I loosen the packing screw, I barely get the needle in (only with some force), and the trigger doesn’t manage to pull back the needle smoothly.

What’s going on here? What am I doing wrong? Any thoughts would be most welcome... am desperate :cry:

I usually have the nozzle off and run the needle in backwards then adjust the screw in . mainly you over tightened the screw closing off the tiny opening in the seal. then when you placed the needle back in ,It did not go through the hole in the center but may have caught the edge causing it to bubble out in the center of the hole.
They do make a tool to install and adjust the packing seal depending on the airbrush.
But take out the screw and seal,place the seal on the needle if it is not damaged then place the screw on top of the seal and guide the needle back through the airbrush.have the needle pulled far enough through the screw that the screw drive fits into the slot and screw it back in. One you feel it is seated push the needle back toward the rear of the airbrush to see if you feel tension on it.there should only be a slight bit of tension on the needle.

The white part is the “seal”, right? Does it go into the front or back? It feels that my needle would slide in easier when the white seal is in the back, not front.
View attachment 58421
The white part is the deal and it goes forward. I believe that when if the screw is over tightened the material doesn’t bounce back like rubber so can deform, which might be causing the issue you describe. The difference between tight and loose could be literally a couple of Millimetres of turn. Very small adjustments seem to be the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I think so too. The needle won’t fit through it. I must have tightened the thing too much, and now it doesn’t allow the needle to slide through anymore. Such adjustment should be done mechanically, or should I soak the part in warm water?

When you tighten the packing screw, think of it as a clock face. Do not tighten it more than maybe "5 minutes" at a time. Insert the needle to test fit. You should feel when the needle passes through the seal, but without a lot of resistance. You ant the teflon (white material) t JUST close down on the needle without squeezing it tightly.

Do be careful, because the teflon can be damaged if over-tightened. As mentioned elsewhere, it does not spring back - once crushed, it is crushed. If over-tightened, you may be able to ream it back out by removing it from the brush, and running the needle in and out until the fit loosens up. Does not always work...

I think I’ve solved it. It works again. Phew! Mr Micron’s and SiRoxx’s expertise and help were very valuable, many thanks! Much appreciated!
Glad to hear you’ve solved the problem. Hopefully re-seating it has fixed the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back