Paint accident...

bad65

Air-Valve Autobot!
I had a little paint accident working on a portrait. I just made a new one, but I am interested in how to repair such accident. In the past I've tried to spray white over it but that wasn t very succesfull....
Can you give me tips???

Attachments

• DSCF0825.JPG
    DSCF0825.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 62
Paasche has an air eraser that sprays aluminum oxide particles with which you can sort of 'sand blast' paint off the surface. But that surface needs to be of good quality to avoid damaging it in the process after which re-applying paint would lead to worse failure than before the accident. Good surfaces are Schoellershammer board and paper and similar quality surfaces. Mind you, you need to wear protective gear when using the air eraser, because your lungs won't be to fond of that powder. But if you have sprayed on a good organic surface as mentioned before or on metal you'll be able to restore the damage in a professional way.

Last edited:
Oh no!!! Man that sucks!!! Maybe try and erase it then fill it in?? I really don't know, but if I was you I would do the same thing with a blood red and hang it on the wall!! It would look as if he is looking in the blood covered mirror!

Josh

Tnx for the quick replies!
@Ignis: this might be an investment for the future. Tnx for the tip...
@Seamonkey: I am glad I am on medication, otherwise I would be sick for a whole week...:)
Next time I won't forget to put the lid on the cup....

Man that really is sickening, all that work and then this, I feel your pain and I sure it doesn't get you down.

As for fixing it, you could do a lot worse than listen to Mr Ignis, I have had this my self a couple of times, but I don't have anywhere near your' skills and I wasn't so far into the piece each time it happened, with me it was the same problem, working the lid of the cup, I suppose I thought was macho or something, lol

another method (dunno if it would work on this but if your scraping it then may be worth a try) put some airbrush cleaner in your cup (with the lid on ;o) ) set your psi to 3, get close to your work and erase out like that....may still end up with a bit of water mark but wil at least get rid of worst....try on scrap first though

another method (dunno if it would work on this but if your scraping it then may be worth a try) put some airbrush cleaner in your cup (with the lid on ;o) ) set your psi to 3, get close to your work and erase out like that....may still end up with a bit of water mark but wil at least get rid of worst....try on scrap first though

Good idea! Well worth trying....

Why don't you spit more paint to the surface, just to pretend that is blood from one of Lecter's victims!??? ;) :)

Good idea! Well worth trying....
I've tried it myself on small bits and it does work, gotta have psi set nice and low....don't over spray though, just lil bits at time otherwise you get drips

Ohhh nasty and not easy to get rid of at all on that kinda issue. personally I would fog the whole painting down with a light grey, just to the point of being able to see the original work and then restart the layering process anew using the painting underneath as a new guide, this will also allow you to get some awesome texturing, If it was only on one spot or two it may be worth the time to try and individually fix the drops, but as it leads across the whole painting in several spots it would require as much effort into repairing the issue in comparrison to restarting, consider also 3 texturing layers over the top and try adding to the pic rather than trying to take it away, being opaques the new layers on top will block much of that out. You could try softening it as mentioned above with erasers and the like and seeing what happens but it will still be a lot of repair work :( GL

when you say adding to the pic instead of taking away I instantly think.....beard, moustache, monocle

you can repair such accidents.. but i think for the effort it takes.. you're just better off starting afresh.
instead of instantly applying white over the paint spill, first (and from a larger height) you can apply the gray, dusting it over, then from an even larger height you can apply a white. Re establish your shapes and repeat if you can still see the paint drop. You can lose accuracy in your shapes and if it's paper you'll notice a thicker portion of paint in certain areas..
I know people that believe you can fix mistakes, but imo - i think you're best off starting again.

i would have pulled my hair out, kicked a whole in the wall, beat my dog, eat a gallon of ice cream, drink a fifth of whiskey,, yell at the neighbors, go to bed, wake up and eat a bag of chips and a liter of dew,, smoke a cig,, and say wtf... guess ill start over.. damn this life

Tnx for your reactions!
Yes, easiest way was to start again..:)

Just a suggestion but in stead of throwing this away or hiding it in cupboard, you could take advantage of Sea monkey's tip and create blood on it, you've the ads on telly where everything is black and white, but an item or one person or maybe even lipstick is in colour, I particularly find that a cool effect.

At the very least we all know you can do it if/when you do it again, I hope you do because it was one hell of a job.

Just a suggestion but in stead of throwing this away or hiding it in cupboard, you could take advantage of Sea monkey's tip and create blood on it, you've the ads on telly where everything is black and white, but an item or one person or maybe even lipstick is in colour, I particularly find that a cool effect.

At the very least we all know you can do it if/when you do it again, I hope you do because it was one hell of a job.

I am dutch, so I flipped the paper and started again on the backside...:)

Back