Paint Advise needed

H

hallboy

I've been practicing using createx wicked colors paints. My brush is the HP-CS. I have an auto project to start soon and I'm not certain of the best paint for this. I'd like to practice with some solvent based paints if they are a little more forgiving as I have read. Any advise on this will be appreciated.

Also the hood is fiberglass so do I treat this different.

Can the wicked colors water based paints be used on auto? If so, will the clear coat bond to these paints?

How old is the glass?
old fiberglass will dry out , If you have never worked on fiberglass it would be best to take it to a shop and have conditions of it looked at.
As stated above Wicked is great for automotive art work. Autoair is also another great product.
But if it is more of a candy paint job than urethane is your best bet. But you need a good shop ( spray booth) to ensure a good finished product. Plus if you have never work with urethane check out your local paint jobber warehouses to see if any of them offer class on the use and mixing of the paints .
My rule of thumb is always practice with what you intend to paint with. Me , I use it all and have put lots of practice time in to see what works and what can cross over from the waterbase world to the urethane world.

Thanks. I thought I had read that they were and no sooner than I posted this, I found where I had read it.

Thanks Micron. I've started the memorial and it's turning out great. Def not on the level I see here but I'm proud to be doing it. Haven't picked up my brush in several weeks and itching to get back at it. I'll post my first dove attempt on here shortly. Wish I had more free time to put into this, it's been good medicine for me.

Thanks again for the input. My son-in-law works in a body shop and he made a comment about the fiberglass as well. Sounds like I better do my homework with the hood.

Thanks Micron. I've started the memorial and it's turning out great. Def not on the level I see here but I'm proud to be doing it. Haven't picked up my brush in several weeks and itching to get back at it. I'll post my first dove attempt on here shortly. Wish I had more free time to put into this, it's been good medicine for me.

Thanks again for the input. My son-in-law works in a body shop and he made a comment about the fiberglass as well. Sounds like I better do my homework with the hood.

I would hate to see your hard work ruined from old dry glass..
Look forward to seeing it .

Back