Paint and surface recommendations

T

Tommy Beyl

Greetings, i am new to the forum but not to airbrushing. Every couple of years I get an airbrush itch and do a hobby project. a Skate helmet, a bike, and RC car canopy etc. I have an Iwata HP-CS and over the years have mostly used Urethane type paints HOK, Custom Shop, SEM, I have also used basic creatix paint for some shirts I played with.

I now have a 10 year old daughter who loves drawing and has been playing with digital art for the past year. i want to work with her on air brushing, but I am sure once she gets going she will fly through materials. I see that Createx illustration or golden high flow seem to be recommended paints for beginners. Is that the best bet for quality and affordability? at the very beginning doing dots and daggers I plan to use paper towels but any recommendations on surfaces that won't break the bank.
I was a slow and detailed airbrush user planning and masking and using paint sparingly, she prefers free form illustration and loves to draw for hours daily. So I know if she likes this she will spray me out of house and home if I pick high end materials :) Also I want to make sure we use products that are way less toxic than Urethanes.

Hello
Cretex wicked line will paint on any surface to include those helmets and skate deck you're doing with urethane.
If you have a dollar tree (assuming you live in the USA due to no proper introduction) you can get 2 sheets of poster board for a dollar.
Painting on the finished (shiny) side will mimic painting on hard surfaces . You can also have her practice on a piece of glass like you can pick up cheap in picture frames.
Golden High Flow is more suited for canvas painting but with the proper clear and prep work does hold up on hard surfaces.
But check out some of Coast Airbrush's live feeds on FB David has shown many uses of Createx colors and their Candy 2o line in use on cars , bikes and even rc boats.
Being the VOC laws in California have become even more strict on the amount of urethane you can shoot most shops have made the switch to waterbased. Createx Wicked, Auto Air, AutoBorne and Candy 2o are what most of them are using.
Also if you have a Hobby Lobby in your area remember to print off the 40% off coupon and pick up her a startede primary color set so that would make this set https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...ry-Wicked-Airbrush-Paints---6-Piece-Set/p/823 go frmo 34.99 to 21.00 plus sales tax.

you can find the introduction section here https://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/ and your daughter is more then welcome to join this forum as well as we try to be family friendly.

Herb thank you for the very helpful reply. I went ahead and introduced myself in the introduction thread, sorry to have skipped that step.
-Tommy

Also liquitex ink are a very good paint, cheap and docile to use, you can use it in any surface too, they are water base and you can use it without thining with the hp-cs at 25 psi. A3 printer paper are cheap and good to make the first steps

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I find card stock works well as a surface. It is thick enough not to curl up like standard printer paper. It comes in all kinds of colors and it relativily inexpensive. at my local Walmart I buy a pack of 150 sheets for around 7 dollars

Card stock sounds like a great option. I'll take a look a liquitex as well Thanks guys!

Just bought some Createx quick silver Chrome, Candy20, and a shark shapped paneljammer from Coast airbrush. Should be fun. Down the road I would love to shoot a larger shark silohet panel. can hardboard from a hardware store be used for a panel? it has a glossy side that seems like it woul work well. I could easily cut a large shark silohete for cheep using my jigsaw. I have always thought the flamed out sharks by triplesix artistry looked cool. I'd like to do a diy version of that. If I get great results I might even try buying a fiberglass shark blank. My wife would love it (sarcasm intended :)

Just bought some Createx quick silver Chrome, Candy20, and a shark shapped paneljammer from Coast airbrush. Should be fun. Down the road I would love to shoot a larger shark silohet panel. can hardboard from a hardware store be used for a panel? it has a glossy side that seems like it woul work well. I could easily cut a large shark silohete for cheep using my jigsaw. I have always thought the flamed out sharks by triplesix artistry looked cool. I'd like to do a diy version of that. If I get great results I might even try buying a fiberglass shark blank. My wife would love it (sarcasm intended :)
Masonite with the white coated finish on one side works great and it's relatively cheap compared to other options. It's a good idea to scuff the white surface with a scotch brite pad prior to painting if you'll be doing any masking on it (like a flame layout) to prevent delamination.

Hardboard will work, its probably best you base coat it, I would scuff with red scotchbrite before hand. Another option is coat it with gesso to give you a painting surface.

Lee

HobbyLobby had some "multi media" paint/sketch/artbooks for 50% off earlier this week. I got an 80 page one, with coupon It ended up being like $4. Went back later in the day, and got the Createx primary set for $15 with another coupon. I got the primary set to keep me from blowing through my Wicked colors so fast.

HobbyLobby had some "multi media" paint/sketch/artbooks for 50% off earlier this week. I got an 80 page one, with coupon It ended up being like $4. Went back later in the day, and got the Createx primary set for $15 with another coupon. I got the primary set to keep me from blowing through my Wicked colors so fast.
I hit up hobby lobby normally once per month for at least one item with their 40% off coupon. Can't beat those kinda prices

I hit up hobby lobby normally once per month for at least one item with their 40% off coupon. Can't beat those kinda prices

Since I got into this, I'm there a couple times a week. I can't wait for their Christmas sale on the models.

Back