Paint Chipping

T

Tnessi

Hey,

I'm currently working on a goalie mask and It's starting to chip which is starting to stress me out. I started by sanding, priming, then sanding again. I started using Wicked colors mixed with 4030 automobile additive, and 4012 reducer.

I started painting and everything was going great, but when I peeled back some of the vinyl pinstripping tape I was using started to take some of the paint with it. The primer stayed byt the Wicked Colors didn't. I'm hoping that I can seal it in with an auto grade clear coat and it won't have any oppurtunity to peel anymore.

Let me know if there's any immediate fixes, if there's anything I can do later, and If there's anything I could've done earlier to fix it.

Thanks

So is it chipping or peeling...? Was the pinstripping tape used as a masking tape? It sounds like a high build up of paint drying on the edge.

I've also noticed that areas with the most buildup are the spots with the most peeling. It's also only along edges where primer is visible.

So is it chipping or peeling...? Was the pinstripping tape used as a masking tape? It sounds like a high build up of paint drying on the edge.
It's peeling off with the pinstriping vinyl. I'm also using masking tape, but not for the direct edges. I want to make sure however that even if it's a large buildup that It won't have any effect on the durability of the helmet and paint.

It you de-tack the tape prior to putting it on?
De-taacking the tape is where you put it on your clothes first so it is not as sticky , Also leaving the paint on until it is fully cure can cause it to flake up along the edge of the tape line.

How long did you let it dry before removing the masking tape? Perhaps you should try removing it a bit sooner?
I let it sit for about 20-45 minutes because I wanted to make sure it didn't need anymore coats. would removing it right away help?

OK. Put up some photo's, a whole lot easier to understand. So is it the fresh paint lifting or like Mr.Micron asked and it lifting under the tape?

It you de-tack the tape prior to putting it on?
De-taacking the tape is where you put it on your clothes first so it is not as sticky , Also leaving the paint on until it is fully cure can cause it to flake up along the edge of the tape line.
Okay great!! I didnt de-taack, and I let it cure completely. I just want to make sure it isn't a problem with the durability.

I let it sit for about 20-45 minutes because I wanted to make sure it didn't need anymore coats. would removing it right away help?
There is a method called speed masking. You run a piece of tape hard up against the painted edge. You remove it as soon as you have the paint on. It allows the edge of the paint the heal.

OK. Put up some photo's, a whole lot easier to understand. So is it the fresh paint lifting or like Mr.Micron asked and it lifting under the tape?
Both, The fresh paint peeled outside of the tape, but old paint was lifted up along with the tape. I think de-taacking and not letting it cure like Mr. Micron said will work perfectly. thansk

There is a certain window of time that is best for removing the masking. It can vary depending on a lot of factors. If you remove it too early, the paint is too wet and can run into the masked area. If it is too dry, you are trying to pull the tape up through a "solid" piece of paint, so it cracks and chips. I have seen people use an X-Acto knife to scribe the edge of the masking before removing the tape.

Both, The fresh paint peeled outside of the tape, but old paint was lifted up along with the tape. I think de-taacking and not letting it cure like Mr. Micron said will work perfectly. thansk
OK, looks like a combination... speed masking and detacking! :)

The paint lifting towards the edges doesnt worry me much, thats usually application. Sounds like you might be going very thick... Remember this is just a base coat, you arent really painting it so much as just coloring it. If your spraying light enough you should have a satin finish, not glossy.
For the the masking edges it also helps to kind of spray it like the masking isnt there, so that really pretty much just overspray hits the masking. This way the paint actually tapers down thinner as it nears the edge.

The "tape test" is something createx actually recommends to see if your getting proper adhesion. If it had been dry 24 hours and tape peels it up, youre not getting proper adhesion.

De-tacking is definitely good, if youre trying to get done quickly and your not giving the paint 24 hours before you mask on top of it (most of us dont).
If the paint you masked on top of was 24 hours old and tape still peeled it off of primer then you have an issue and clearing over top wont really fix it.

The paint lifting towards the edges doesnt worry me much, thats usually application. Sounds like you might be going very thick... Remember this is just a base coat, you arent really painting it so much as just coloring it. If your spraying light enough you should have a satin finish, not glossy.
For the the masking edges it also helps to kind of spray it like the masking isnt there, so that really pretty much just overspray hits the masking. This way the paint actually tapers down thinner as it nears the edge.

The "tape test" is something createx actually recommends to see if your getting proper adhesion. If it had been dry 24 hours and tape peels it up, youre not getting proper adhesion.

De-tacking is definitely good, if youre trying to get done quickly and your not giving the paint 24 hours before you mask on top of it (most of us dont).
If the paint you masked on top of was 24 hours old and tape still peeled it off of primer then you have an issue and clearing over top wont really fix it.
okay thanks

Back