paint flow problem :-(

T

taz.24

Can any one help?
Whilst painting, I'm finding my paint stops flowing.
Cleaned the ab thoroughly including nozzle. Found a lot of dry paint in there, cleaned it . re tested the ab.
Was fine for a few mins, but blocked up again.
Cleaned again, this time I over reduced the paint, but again the nozzle blocked .
Replaced the nozzle, but still keeps blocking.
Any idea's???

Maybe you need to strain your paint, there might be lumps? Is the PSI high enough for the thickness of your paint?

If you give us more info, like your airbrush with needle size, the paint you are using, at what PSI and how reduced it is (how much reducer added to the paint). We would be able to answer you more precisely :)

Thanks white knight,
Origanaly noticed it , using createx wicked ,I normally work around ,20 psi with no probs.
So I've tried it with specta colours as well, also tried running up to 40 psi
But still getting the same problem.
Also getting a lot of dry tip with the wicked colours.
Air brush is a iwata neo.
Been using this for around a year, with no real problems.

Thanks white knight,
Origanaly noticed it , using createx wicked ,I normally work around ,20 psi with no probs.
So I've tried it with specta colours as well, also tried running up to 40 psi
But still getting the same problem.
Also getting a lot of dry tip with the wicked colours.
Air brush is a iwata neo.
Been using this for around a year, with no real problems.

You're probably dealing with Tip Dry, Wicked is pretty bad with it. The W500 High Performance Reducer helps, but it's still not perfect.
I usually use Createx Illustration or ETAC EFX, I used some Wicked Detail Black the other night doing some practice drills and noticed the difference in tip dry right away.

Only other thing I can think of is to check your tip under a magnifying glass to make sure the needle isn't bent, just a small hook in the needle will cause intermittent flow problems and increase tip-dry. :)

Thanks all,
That's given me something to go on..
I wasn't sure if it could be the needle...
Thanks jagardn, I know about the problems with wicked colours, but I'm getting tip dry after about only a few seconds ,Norma!ly I can work for a while without this becoming a problem, & I don't have that problem with spectra colours until now..

You will never be able to get rid of tip dry totally no matter what brand you use but yes Wicked can be finicky. I use the Wicked detail line and around 15 PSI, I strain my paint and use the W500 reducer...it is a bit better than the W100 reducer. I reduce at about 5:1 to start and the white is terrible, and the black is anywhere from 3 to 10:1 for me.

Thanks all,
That's given me something to go on..
I wasn't sure if it could be the needle...
Thanks jagardn, I know about the problems with wicked colours, but I'm getting tip dry after about only a few seconds ,Norma!ly I can work for a while without this becoming a problem, & I don't have that problem with spectra colours until now..

I just watched a Cory St Clair DVD with him using Wicked and Auto Air. He was clearing his tip dry every 11 seconds or so when doing any detail work. That was with a Micron, which handles it better because of better airflow through the head system. It actually became an obsession counting the timing. The longest time I ever counted him painting without clearing tip dry was 27 seconds. LOL

The thing is that tip dry mainly occurs when you stop ink flow but continue airflow so the key to reduced tip dry (besides the additives and suggestions above) is simply not to stop painting for to long ;)..The quicker you reduce the time involved in thinking about the next stroke or step the less tip dry, keep the paint wet and flowing, especially in early layers as there is no need to stop for too long, just belt it out, but no matter what paint I use, if I stop for an extended period, say around 10 seconds the paints likely dried so I pick the tip..If under a few seconds prior to hitting the next stroke, keep painting...Often I will do a whole layer before needing to stop for tto long, if its detail obviously you will be stopping a lot more so cleaning the tip much more..GL and hope ya get it sorted, try out some glycerin as it will help keep the paint wet or try another wetting agent, may reduce that tip dry...But yer strain that paint well as if your full cleaning for it to happen quickly again its likely lumpy paint, also check that the front nozzle is good and tight or use some bees wax in there to help seal it as it may also be drawing in air and stuffing your flow up that way...

Back