Paint Inconsistent when trying to make fine lines

I just love comart, no tipdryes for hours yesterday.

Is it possible to paint with my eclipse with no cap ? i get spyders on the paper all the time when i try.

Yes you can use the brush without the cap but be careful that you dont catch the needle on your work or you will damage it and may have to replace the needle.

Yeah I don't really understand the purpose of the cut away handle. Kind of useless right

I think it is so you can retract the needle without dismantling the brush, very handy when you get a bit of a clog, you can pull the needle back to clear the blockage and then the needle should reseat in the nozzle. Well i think thats what its for....

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by otpowellYeah I don't really understand the purpose of the cut away handle. Kind of useless right

I think it is so you can retract the needle without dismantling the brush, very handy when you get a bit of a clog, you can pull the needle back to clear the blockage and then the needle should reseat in the nozzle. Well i think thats what its for....

You actually are not opening the nozzle further when pulling on the needle chuck instead of pulling the trigger back all the way. At least not any significant amount. To see what is meant by that - load your airbrush with water and spray pulling all the way back on the trigger, then pull back on the needle chuck and see if your spray pattern increases any notice-able amount.

IMO, the only really purposeful cut-away handle is the double cut-away handle that allows you to loosen the neddle chuck and slide the needle out of the back of the airbrush handle instead of having to take the handle off to get the needle out of the airbrush.

Personally I think the cutaway a bad idea LOL, as Ken mentions ya can clean out the clogs effectively by pulling all the way back on the trigger and giving it a good blast of paint anyway..One prob with using the cutaway to do similar is that most peeps will pull back, blast some paint and then let it go..It snaps back into place with a lot of pressure, this can damage your nozzle tip, perhaps it saves you 2 or 3 seconds to remove a needle but personally never saw the point of em...

Oh, so that's what it was for, pulling the needle chucking nut back.. I thought you were supposed to unscrew it, and take apart your needle somehow while leaving the cover on.. LOL.

I've seen and heard of peeps using it for both purposes mate though I always found it hard to unscrew it anyway through the cutaway and usually take the handle of anyway LOL, though as mentioned there's no real point/advantage to it imo..

Yeah you are right. Personally, if pulling the trigger back doesn't do it. I really don't mind taking the extra 15 seconds to take the needle out.

I thought it was just an excuse to savvy on manufacturing costs by using less materials!

That sounds about right, although, it would probably only cost them about a few cents more to make it without the cutaway. It's only brass.. I wonder why they make our brushes out of such soft metal? Why not make a brush that is all chrome? That would be nice.

I thought it was just an excuse to savvy on manufacturing costs by using less materials!

cut away or not you use the same amount of material as the handle all starts out as bar stock. It actually costs more to do the cutaway in many instances because it's an extra operation on the machine to cut the cutaway, and your metal chips are scrap. with current CNC equipment it's all negligible.

That sounds about right, although, it would probably only cost them about a few cents more to make it without the cutaway. It's only brass.. I wonder why they make our brushes out of such soft metal? Why not make a brush that is all chrome? That would be nice.

Chrome is actually a finish and not a metal, you find that under the chrome you have either brass or mild steel, I believe you may be referring to "Stainless Steel".

I wouldn't mine an airbrush made out of titanium but it will cost a fortune. But you will never need to replace parts.

Using stainless steel would be about 4 to 5 times more expensive than materials commonly used in airbrush manufacturing. The material costs more, and because it is a harder material it runs slower when being machined - so it takes longer to run parts meaning each part is more expensive because of manufacturing time on the machine. Additionally, because it is harder - cutting tools in the machine must be sharpened and/or changed more frequently adding more time and money in production equipment maintenance and cutting tools. On a part like a needle there's justifiable benefit to using the more costly stainless steel, so most high quality maufacturers use stainless steel on those parts. Badger's needles are stainless steel so they do not bend easily and paint does not instantaneously adhere to the needle. From the numerous competitive airbrushes we have cut apart and analyzed, we can determine that our material selection is comparable to all the other top quality manufacturers.

Back