paint over 2k with waterbased

P

plugy

I am a complete novice to spraying, and wanted to spray my motorcycle tanks then airbrush a stencil.
After speaking to my local paint supplier they recommend and gave me 2k primer, metallic base candy color and 2k lacquer.
I want to airbrush pin up girls on the tank.
Can you airbrush 2k paint?
Is it easier to airbrush water based, if so can you do it over 2k candy?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stranger Danger !! http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/ an introduction would help a lot. Knowing where you live (state country ) , What equipment you have if any only helps us help you.
2k to me means 2 parts needing an activator mixed in vs 1k which only need reducer .
Both can be scuffed and painted on but the 2k gives a harder stronger finish.

But not knowing where you live , the laws of spraying 2k in the area you live in that is about all I can tell you other than stay safe Mask up and do not spray that in an attached garage. isocyanate poisoning is a real thing .

Sorry my name is Paul and live in UK.
Not knowing much about spraying i did spray the 2k primer, then metallic base coat thinned down in my shed without a mask.
I am now a bit more educated and have bought a suitable face mask.
They paint shop told me i need to mix the candy with thinners, then apply 2k lacquer.
My question is what type of paint is best to use for the stencils.
I have two airbrushes, bought as a kit with small compressor.

First port of call in ALL questions starting with "Can I put..." is the manufacturer. They have all that information and is normally available on the net. Go there first, have a good read of the tech sheets and the application. Get to know your product then you will be a whole heap better at what you do. As a complete novice my advice in regard to 2 pack paints is take excellent health precautions, for you and you neighbors (eg use a proper spraying are with proper exhaust and preferably a spray booth... correct respirator, preferably supplied air - that stuff is toxic as! - just like Mr Micron said) Happy reading. :)

My advice in regard to 2 pack paints is take excellent health precautions, for you and you neighbors (eg use a proper spraying with proper exhaust and preferably a spray booth... correct respirator, preferably supplied air - that stuff is toxic as! - just like Mr Micron said) :)

That should be printed on every 2 pack product !
I personally don't think 2 pack should be sprayed anywhere other than a professional spray booth if you're doing something other than a scratch repair, even then I'd err on the side of caution!

Why not..Its fun LOL..Didn't say that, but yes protect yourself but more importantly, protect those around you..I live out in the middle of nowhere and paint outside, no human neighbours to annoy. 2 pack reeks, not just for you but likely your neighbours as well and its extremely hazardous to some..I do like to use it I admit but feel I can without negatively affecting anyone but me. These days and especially at home its easy and cheap to get a good base sprayed an an auto repair shop on the side of their current job, gain good relastionship and it gets even cheaper, and it will be cured and sprayed properly, ask them not to clear then use a modern based water bourne product...but still consider others :) Most have mild solvents in them anyway. It is another option if concerned it may bother others. The water bourne and based products are getting better and will sit on top of most other paints fine if prep is done correctly..or experiment and have some fun learning that fisheyes are a cow LOL

Hi @plugy ,the answer to your question now you have learnt the hard way about solventslollol is yes you can use an airbrush to spray 2K paints and yes you can use waterbased paints on 2K products but beware with candies they do whats called bleeding which is where they will bleed into what ever you spray on top,you will have to clear coat after the candies and then airbrush your pin-ups on top and clear coat again or....you can airbrush on top of your base coat and then apply candy11282491_1433662046954806_1738538902_o.jpg like so.This is black base coat white waterbased airbush paint blue candy over and clear coated....hope this helps:thumbsup:

Back