paint peel issues

O

Ouch

i was painting some derby cars for some people and one car particular the paint was peeling off when i was applying a stencil made out of frisket. The paint peeled like it was still soft. after i noticed it i checked the rest of that car and could rub the paint off with my thumb
So i rubbed all the paint back off with my thumb, roughed it up with 400 resprayed and it still did it. Any ideas why? i dont know what type of primer was used but the AB pajnt is wicked red and white.

Hhhm, did u give wicked a good time to harden, but it shouldn't, did u degrease it good? Did u scuff it up?

You are not allowing enough time for it to set. Are this real derby cars or models?
Real one grab a blow dryer and heat set the paint. What is the temp in the area you are spraying in?

Th only time I have ever had a problem with Wicked or AutoAir was when it was not cured all the way or laid on to heavy.

They are wood derby cars, the temp was harsh around 30 i think. That was my first thought also. So i moved in a heater. Then tried to heat set the paint using both hairdryer and heater, didn't work. So i just assumed the owner put to much primer on too fast and it want done curing? so i just put a basic two tone on there and raced it like that. The race
is over so i took the car home and took it back down to wood last night to start over. It bugged me to much to leave it like that

They are wood derby cars, the temp was harsh around 30 i think. That was my first thought also. So i moved in a heater. Then tried to heat set the paint using both hairdryer and heater, didn't work. So i just assumed the owner put to much primer on too fast and it want done curing? so i just put a basic two tone on there and raced it like that. The race
is over so i took the car home and took it back down to wood last night to start over. It bugged me to much to leave it like that

Pinewood derby.. I never prime them , I base them with a semigloss clear so the wood will not suck up the paint so fast.
let it set two or three days than paint.
But 30 is too cold for anything to set up correctly. 50 is about the coldest you want to paint in. But the warmer the better 70 is perfect .
That is the main reason I have not painted a lot this winter , Heater went out in the garage so had to move a wood store in. so a lot of work to get thing warm enough to paint daily so I just paint on the weekends so I can builf the fire in the morning and than keep it going.

Semi gloss clear over the wood worth no primer! I'll try that. When i get home I'll post up the race video. It was a blast! I got best show with my car. Cannot do all that with my phone

Maybe whoever painted it didn't let the first coat dry before adding more, and it didn't cure.

Back