Paint peeled on properly prepped plastic...Help!

639572e254ac2f60b925911403f4e111.jpg

166347f3a0bd23921e6b2bc4e3eb6531.jpg

I only get 2 or 3 hours a few times each week to paint, so this has taken around 2 weeks! It's far from perfect, but I'm hoping that once it's complete there'll be enough detail throughout the whole helmet that no one will notice any specific error??!!!

Having limited resources I borrowed a hole punch from work, and using a doubled strip of masking tape, punched out hundreds of dots which I then used as rivet templates.

I used wicked detail black reduced at 20:1 (how amazing is this stuff?! Even reduced by that much I could get a deep black after only a couple of passes!). I also had a go using white to add highlights, but the results were pretty dire and I ended up going over each rivet with silver before then adding black again.
I used an eraser pencil and a scalpel to add brighter highlights and last night finished off with a couple of light coats of 1k clear to protect it.

No idea what I'm doing next, but I want to do similar on the other side but have a missing piece looking into the head with circuit boards or something, on display?

Watch this space!

Mods:

I realise this has now turned in to a Work in Progress so I have copied and pasted the last 2 of my posts and created a new thread in the WiP section.
I can't delete the posts above but all further progress will be posted in the WiP section..

Mods:

I realise this has now turned in to a Work in Progress so I have copied and pasted the last 2 of my posts and created a new thread in the WiP section.
I can't delete the posts above but all further progress will be posted in the WiP section..

You don't need to delete anything, I doubt there is a problem and glad you got it repaired.

I've seen paint fail like that before. The mold release agent would be my prime suspect. Possibly accelerated by the heat from the heat gun. I'm new to spraying paint through an ab, but paint raw plastics everyday. I'd be more than happy to post something on some of the general do's, and don'ts of plastics from an automotive standpoint if people are interested. There's a few tricks we use to deal with the mold release agents that may come in handy. Not sure if this would be old info to people on here. Don't really feel right doing a kind of tutorial on here since I'm new without somebody's say so.

Back