Paint peeling up with vinyl

Z

zrosignal

I have a plotter and am using vinyl to cut my stencils. The stencil generally contains intricate details. I've tried waiting 24 hours to peel the vinyl up and i've tried pulling it up immediately after painting. Pulling it up immediately seems to give me a little less grief than waiting but I still end up peeling some of the paint up with the vinyl. Is there any special tips or tricks to alleviate this problem? We have tried primer, no primer, clear coat, no clear coat, etc.
Thank you in advance.

What kind of vinyl? Is it paint mask? If not did you detack the vinyl first?

12" x 40 ft Roll of Matte Black Permanent Adhesive-Backed Vinyl for Craft Cutters, Punches and Vinyl Sign Cutters. We have tried some methods but not sure what a good way to detack the vinyl would be.

Also, is there a better material than vinyl for putting stencils on a metal surface?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think maybe permanent adhesive backed vinyl, doesn't sound like it's the right thing for the job, sounds like maybe it's meant to stay put. Not that I am a plotter expert or anything, however I did get some stencils of gears cut once, and it was a smokey grey transparent vinyl called aslan. (I remember because it's the name of the Lion in the Narnia books LOL), anyway it worked really great, and came off cleanly.

Ok my friend, pull up a chair! @zrosignal
I think I can help here because my son is in the sign business.
What you are using is for signs, you have the vinyl that they use for permanent applications and most of the vinyl you are using is guaranteed to stay in place for between 8 and 10 years!
This type on vinyl can be taken off after a short time but it's not designed to be taken off and basically it sticks like poo to a blanket!
What you need is "Painters" or "sandblasters" vinyl mask. It's adhesive is less aggressive.
I have no idea where in the world you are as you have neglected to fill out your profile :sus: But I use this kind of thing in this link http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/sandblastingfilm.asp
Hope that helps

Oddball has the right of it. Paint mask vinyl is low tack. To de tack, stick to your clothes, your animal, a blanket, anything that will stick to it, but not too much, so it will still stick to the panel. I usually use my pants leg or shirt .

Ok my friend, pull up a chair! @zrosignal
I think I can help here because my son is in the sign business.
What you are using is for signs, you have the vinyl that they use for permanent applications and most of the vinyl you are using is guaranteed to stay in place for between 8 and 10 years!
This type on vinyl can be taken off after a short time but it's not designed to be taken off and basically it sticks like poo to a blanket!
What you need is "Painters" or "sandblasters" vinyl mask. It's adhesive is less aggressive.
I have no idea where in the world you are as you have neglected to fill out your profile :sus: But I use this kind of thing in this link http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/sandblastingfilm.asp
Hope that helps

wow thanks man! I will definitely get some new vinyl. That makes more sense. You can't imagine (or maybe you can) the fury I felt when unmasking a project and all the paint comes up with it! Thank you again so much.

wow thanks man! I will definitely get some new vinyl. That makes more sense. You can't imagine (or maybe you can) the fury I felt when unmasking a project and all the paint comes up with it! Thank you again so much.
Been there one too many times...we all have lol

thanks man. Got the new vinyl ordered and hopefully will get here before the project deadline lol

Back