Painting a rock

twood

Air-Valve Autobot!
I was just asked by a family member to paint their name and house number on a big rock in the front of their new home. How would I go about prepping and sealing after it is airbrushed? Can I use Automotive clear to seal it? Any advice is very welcome......
Cheers

Any clear acylic concrete sealer. It will leave a kind of wet look to it so be aware of that. Seal before and after. Im assuming this is a pretty porous stone. (Most are)
Not sure whats available in your area.

I realy must learn to read before I type, going from the title I was halfway through typing an epic tale that would have had Shakespeare rise from the grave about how to paint rocks before I realised it was about painting ON rock :p...... now I'll have to sufice with saying "no clue" :D

Any clear acylic concrete sealer. It will leave a kind of wet look to it so be aware of that. Seal before and after. Im assuming this is a pretty porous stone. (Most are)
Not sure whats available in your area.

I am going to check it out now. I have seen a pic and it doesnt look too porous as we have every type of stone in this area....

I realy must learn to read before I type, going from the title I was halfway through typing an epic tale that would have had Shakespeare rise from the grave about how to paint rocks before I realised it was about painting ON rock :p...... now I'll have to sufice with saying "no clue" :D

That would have been a great reply to save for the future....lol

All stone is somewhat porous, even slate and such. Either way a concrete sealer should do the trick.
Thats a ton cheaper than auto clears.

Its pretty thick, so if you do not have anything suitable to spray it a cheap pump up yard sprayer will do great. Thats what they use to seal driveways all the time.

I just took a rock from my own yard and cleaned it using cleaner and windex, and cleared it. I let that dry and scuffed using a red scotch brite. I took a stencil, sprayed with wicked black. I have cleared it again and am waiting for it to dry. So far, so good...lol

I just took a rock from my own yard and cleaned it using cleaner and windex, and cleared it. I let that dry and scuffed using a red scotch brite. I took a stencil, sprayed with wicked black. I have cleared it again and am waiting for it to dry. So far, so good...lol

So you have the wisdom to do a test?, that is the sign of not only a professional, but one who cares:thumbsup:

Thanx Madbrush.....
My second test was to skip the first clear. I cleaned really good, masked it , painted then used the clear. I pulled the mask right away and let it dry.....
It worked really well.....lets hope it stands up to time when I do their rock...lol....
Cheers

Thanx Madbrush.....
My second test was to skip the first clear. I cleaned really good, masked it , painted then used the clear. I pulled the mask right away and let it dry.....
It worked really well.....lets hope it stands up to time when I do their rock...lol....
Cheers

I couldn't say for sure but I think the addition of the clear in your first test would prevent flaking over time with the sun hitting it, I'm a painter and decorator by trade, I often have to clean concrete window sills people have done themselves and flake due to not having been sealed, we apply a stone primer which is also water based and contains PVA resins, then the paint holds well

To be sure let both your tests dry for a couple of days and then apply some masking tape and pull off, if one or the stays put, you'll know the approach you need to take, I have a feeling the one without the first clear will pull off.

I finally had a chance to go over and paint the rock. I did check it out before hand and it is just over 2 ft wide and about 18 inches high.
IMG-20150905-03317.jpg
It was a stone I haven't tested on, so I went with using Matt clear to seal it.
I gave it a good cleaning and brushing, then used a mix of alcohol and water to rinse it. I used my heat gun to make sure it was dry.
2 coats of matt clear, then both Air dry and heat gun.
Used masking tape and laid out the flag, then painted using Wicked cobalt blue, red and yellow. This is the provincial flag for Newfoundland/Labrador, where the husband is from....
IMG-20150915-03341.jpg

Sealed that again with clear and used my stencils cut with my cameo. Used Wicked black. The vinyl I used wasn't sticky enough for all the texture of the rock, so i had to do one letter at a time, pushing it down as I painted to keep it sharp with no creeping under....lesson learned for next time...get really sticky stuff...lol
IMG-20150915-03342.jpg

I decided to finish it with a gloss clear to give the paint a little more pop...5 coats to make sure it sealed and will last. After about an hour, it was already pretty much bomb proof....
Hear is the finished job...
IMG-20150915-03346.jpg

This whole thing took me around 4 hrs....I hope it lasts for 40 years...lol lol lol
Cheers....

If they don't want the gloss look, then you could always flat the clear back to a matt finish. I think it looks great.

Sorry, just now seeing this...when i did a "re paint" on a rock, (the lady wanted as much of the original as possible), i just cleaned it...that was it. Painted it, and then shaker can auto cleared over it. That was....4yrs ago?
But...never mind cause ya already painted the rock lolololol!!
Turned put great too!! :)

Back