painting issue

S

surgnrse1013

I just got a new iwata neo and when it sprays the paintis all little dots then after a minute the flow slows to almost nothing. I tried cleaning it, paint mix is on point, So frustrated being its a brand new brush. Any help is apprectaited

I just got a new iwata neo and when it sprays the paintis all little dots then after a minute the flow slows to almost nothing. I tried cleaning it, paint mix is on point, So frustrated being its a brand new brush. Any help is apprectaited

Could be that your paints not reduced correctly, what paint are you using and what reduction? Could you have damaged the needle or the nozzle

You are going to have to tell us a lot more than that "S" what compressor and pressure, what paint your using and how much you have thinned it if at all.

I have a Neo myself and never had any problems, I'm guessing you used it straight out of the box, when you buy a new brush it is wise to strip it down and clean it while checking that all moving parts can move freely, new airbrushes often lye in the shops for long periods of time and the oil applied at the factory turns to gunge and stiiffens moving parts as well as a strong chance that your nozzle can get blocked, I'm pretty sure that's what's here, but until you tell us a little more it's hard to say, there can be many different causes for the same symptoms.

Why not introduce yourself in the intro section, tell who you are, what you want/like to paint, what equipment you have and your approximate location, this will all help the guys to help you better.

im new to the airbrush game. Dunno what the compressor is. Im running between 15-20 psi. Im using airbrush ready Vallejo acrylics. never had an issue with the paint with the crappy master brush I had before getting the iwata. And yes sir, str8 outta the box. I literally know 0 about airbrushes, trying to self teach and going good so far til now.

Hi surgnrse! Welcome to the forum. As Madbrush said hop along to the intro section and let us know about yourself. People will want to say hi, and it really is easier to give more specific advise when people know what your aims are :)

Firstly don't be fooled by the phrase "airbrush ready" when referring to paint. That is based on use for brushes with .5 nozzles or above. Anything smaller than that will need reduction. (though I think com art, and E'tac can be used, reduction is the key to being able to work in layers and build up seamless blends and tone variations, so getting familiar with reduction is just a good thing anyway.)

Also even if the master and the neo seem very similar, that doesn't mean they will work the same with the same paint/ air ratios your were using. You will maybe have to vary those ratios slightly even when just using the same brush, as the performance can change daily due to weather/humidity/cosmic interference from aliens or whatever.

If you haven't thinned the paint, then it is likely that your nozzle is blocked. Give it a thorough (but gentle, don't want to flare the tip of the nozzle or scratch/score the inside of it) cleaning. When you think it's clean, clean it again. A common reason for poor airbrush performance is a dirty nozzle, and paint can hide in there even when it looks spotless, you can save hours of frustration ( can you sense I've been there LOL LOL LOL ) by just double cleaning to be on the safe side. Then examine the nozzle with a magnifying glass, for any imperfections, cracks etc, and the
needle for hooks or burrs. You shouldn't get this out of the box, but it can happen, and it's a good habit to get into. And as the neo is made 'for Iwata' and not by Iwata, they do not have the same quality of manufacturing or materials. If it's faulty send it back.

If your compressor is one of those that usually comes as part of a kit, and is tankless, then it is probably pulsing, and not giving a constant flow. (just guessing now, you can see how it's easier to advise when you know more about equipment etc LOL :) so many variables) You will get inconsistant paint flow, and can lead to problems.

As a newbie I recommend you check out the airbrush tutors free tutorials (click at top of page), when you have that airbrush working sweet, these will definitely get you on your way :)

I grabbed a new paint yesterday and didn't reduce it enough on the first go and it did exactly as you described, spotty then hardly anything. Doesn't matter how long you've been airbrushing, every paint mix will almost need some sort of tweaking, becomes second nature after awhilie lol!

I grabbed a new paint yesterday and didn't reduce it enough on the first go and it did exactly as you described, spotty then hardly anything. Doesn't matter how long you've been airbrushing, every paint mix will almost need some sort of tweaking, becomes second nature after awhilie lol!
Why would you buy new paint? Once you go ETAC, you never go back. ;)

im new to the airbrush game. Dunno what the compressor is. Im running between 15-20 psi. Im using airbrush ready Vallejo acrylics. never had an issue with the paint with the crappy master brush I had before getting the iwata. And yes sir, str8 outta the box. I literally know 0 about airbrushes, trying to self teach and going good so far til now.

Just to add to the good advice you here so far, Mitch (airbrush tutor) has a video on "how to maintain your airbrush" I recommend you watch that and you'll quickly become familiar with the parts and what they do, it shows you not only how clean your' brush but also maintain, lube and tune it to your own liking.

Like yourself I started airbrushing to paint my model planes and helicopters, when you get your Neo working properly (and you will), it will serve you well for your models.

I know that vallejo paints are intended for modelling but as Squishy said they do need thinning for brushes under 0.5 nozzles, as yet I have only used Vallejo candies which really are thick and I had to thin those a lot to get them through my Neo, I don't know if their normal colours are so thick, if so 20 psi definitely isn't enough without thinning.

I should point out that thinning paints does not thin the pigment, heavily or thickly pigmented paints will remain so even when thinned, so can remain a problem weather they are thinned or not, I believe some of our other model painters here use auto air or wicked paints which are supposedly easier to use.

It would be nice to see some of your work even those done with your rattle cans, if your not sure where to put it, you can always post it in the "open bar" section

Thx for he info and welcome guys, now I just need to learn how to thin my paint lol

Back