Paints to learn with

C

Chaos

Hi all,
Firstly if this shoud be in the beginners section can a mod please shift it for me, thanks.

I've found lots of help online for beginners on airbrushes but little on paint (if I've missed a guide somewhere, apologies)

What paint is easiest for novices to get to grips with and whats a reasonable selection to start with ?
I'm just going to be starting out on dots, lines, exercises and doodles etc. but would like a few colours for when I just want to "have a go" at something, as I know me too well.
I've read a little on opaques and transparents and how you can make one into the other with either opaque white or trans base, is this feasible for a novice or would a few of each be better, I guess plenty of black and white.
Also any other "usual suspects" I should have on the shelf.
Thanks in advance
N

Hi and welcome Chaos, there are many options out there but can be narrowed down if you first decide what type of art you wish to create, then next step is to determine which brands are available in your area...would you have to restrict your orders to the internet ect. There are brands that are better suited for textiles than others such as tee shirts and item of that nature. then you have illustration (general art: paintings, portraits ect.) then you have automotive (bikes,cars,metal, ect.) So these are items that first need to be decided because anyone can recommend paints but may not be best for your application. Once we know what you want we can better give advise/info.

First , welcome.

As for paints, a good quality airbrush paint is preferable. I would recommend Spectratex or Com Art, both are good and thin, which can help a noob struggling with paint reductions. And if it needs reducing plain old water is all you need. I would also recommend transparent paints to start. Opaque white and black are nice to have, but a pain to learn with, ask me I know.

Wicked is another good paint, but it needs its own reducer , and can be touchy for a noob to get right. Heck sometimes I still struggle with it.

Most paint companies sell sets. So a basic transparent set will get you going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm a noob too and I'm using golden airbrush paint (not the latest version out though) and I find its great. I made up some reducer from a web recipe (denatured alcohol, distilled water and glycerine drops) and so far I haven't had any issues with tip dry and its fine for what I'm doing. Can reduce it /clean up with water as well so nice and simple. HeathD.

Hi all,
Firstly if this shoud be in the beginners section can a mod please shift it for me, thanks.

I've found lots of help online for beginners on airbrushes but little on paint (if I've missed a guide somewhere, apologies)

What paint is easiest for novices to get to grips with and whats a reasonable selection to start with ?
I'm just going to be starting out on dots, lines, exercises and doodles etc. but would like a few colours for when I just want to "have a go" at something, as I know me too well.
I've read a little on opaques and transparents and how you can make one into the other with either opaque white or trans base, is this feasible for a novice or would a few of each be better, I guess plenty of black and white.
Also any other "usual suspects" I should have on the shelf.
Thanks in advance
N
Hey mate. .... give pete a ring at airbrushandpaint.co.uk he carries pretty much everything you will need and is hugely knowledgeable about print brands. He carries pretty much all the createx line and Etac he may suggest something like wicked or private stock
I started with wicked. ... to dry can be w problem but once you learn to deal with that is s pretty decent paint and can be used for all surfaces

Don't forget you can make any colour under the sun with red yellow and blue. ... if you are just starting get Black for practice and fire shading your colours and white for tinting them.... dint go crazy buying the whole range till you find s paint brand you really like

If you do as fez says, the Etac Is my favorite paint, almost no tip dry, not a claim either. This stuff flows like a dream. And smells good too, like tropical fruit or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I started with natural colorants those you put into cakes and stuff... you put some drops with some of water and then you have all the colors you need. Also you learn how to mix the basic colors. I tried also Chinese ink but it dries fast into your equipment and you have to clean everything very well...

Kevin Cordalicious gave me two little 1oz bottles of com-art and that's the best i've used so far in terms of water based paints. I've used sepia smoke Etac effects paints and that stuff is awesome also - i've used createx illustration extensively and i do like it, but i find better detail from com-arts + com-arts have transparent and opaque lines which i love.
Com-art from me at this point in time as a quick answer...

I would recommend not worrying about a "beginner" paint, and just get the good stuff right off the bat. It will save you many, many headaches and a lot of frustration (along with buying a good, quality airbrush right from the start as well.)

This is a lesson I learned back in the days when I taught guitar lessons for extra money. Long story short, many students came in with guitars so poorly built that I couldn't get them to play properly. If a guy who's been playing for 20 years can't play it, there's no way a beginner is going to. I'd recommend that they buy something higher quality, and go out into the music store with them to show them some options, and what to look for (I didn't care if they bought it there or not. I wasn't getting commision. I was just trying to show them things to look for).

Some would see the logic, and buy a good guitar. Some would try to struggle on with their POS guitars. Almost invariably, those that got good, playable guitars continued with playing the guitar, and those who battled on with the cheap stuff got discouraged and gave up after not very long.

It's no wonder, either. If you use good stuff from the start, you aren't trying to learn on equipment that doesn't work as it should. Airbrushing is hard enough without constantly fighting your paint or equipment along the way.

That said, the paint I'd recommend the highest is E'Tac. Either the Private Stock or EFX line. Both spray exceptionally well, and their customer service is awesome. Bill Edwards, the owner/mad scientist, is easily one of the nicest guys in the business, and will drop everything to answer any questions.

I also use the Wicked detail and Createx Illustration paints, both of which I find to work well. Not quite as user-friendly as E'Tac, but certainly not bad, either.

As far as colors, I'd recommend getting the primary and secondary colors in transparent (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple/violet) and plenty of white, and some black. I really rarely use any black in my airbrush work, as it tends to look better if you darken colors by adding their compliments instead of black. But, it is handy to have around, so I wouldn't go without it.

"In theory", you can mix any color from just the primary colors. In reality, you can't. Yes, mixing blue and yellow will give you A green, but it won't be a very "clean" or brilliant green. When you add the secondary colors, you widen your potential palate quite a bit.

Good luck, and have fun

I am new to airbrushing myself and i just ordered a bunch of Comart paints.

To add to what Hcp-draggin said, i taught guitar myself for a bit as well as drums, and its true some students had some cheap instruments , but i never had a problem teaching them anything on it, it might of been a pain to keep in tune, might not of had the best pickups in the world etc, but if someone wants to learn enough, they will. Eventually some of those students came back with better guitars, others didn't depending on how serious they were about playing.

Thanks guys for the detailed and very useful information.
I've got no set "direction" yet I'm just going to start on paper / card and see what happens.
The "war office" has given clearance for a set of E'Tac primary and secondary plus black and white and is ordering them for me tomorrow..................little wins eh ?
I'm pretty set on a decent mid range badger velocity or H&S evolution as I've read all the comments everywhere about noobs becoming disillusioned with the cheaper clones and this is something I'm keen to avoid.
Once again I am very greatful to all of you kind folk who took the time to help me with this.

No problem. Enjoy, have fun, and don't be shy about posting questions. Sometimes the most frustrating problem can have the simplest fix, and it just takes asking someone to find out.

Glad to hear your spending request was approved ;-)

I would like to interject something from a rookie like me. I thought i would go the cheap way and use cheap acrylic art paint for a project which realy came out pretty good but took me longer due to watering down the paint just so it would spary. I went ahead and finished he project which is posted on my profile gallery. I have to tell you and anyone else that i would never use that kind of paint again for airbrushing again. i headed over to hobby lobby and picked up some createx and com-art they work wounderfull if your into the water based stuff. I would like to try enamels someday. thanks for letting me chat.

Another newbie here. ex photographer learning to airbrush pics instead. I still haven't learnt how to point the airbrush properly yet so way off producing anything.

I tried a few brands of paint which all clogged up my airbrushes (reducing is black magic to me) but have now settled on using Trident with far fewer problems. My only comcern with it is getting more in the UK, I think I'm going to need to import.

Hi.
I started using inks as a "paint" substitute [although, I was spraying on paper to begin with] and have progressed to paints now.
I agree with what advice has been given [only wish someone could have given it to me sooner!] however part of the development of your art is learning.
We all do this every time we start anything.
Just enjoy what you do.
Splasha

Back